Question

Hi everyone,

I am now going off of nortriptyline, primarily because of the fatigue (mostly in the limbs) that I have noticed from it. The med has done it’s job, but I want to leave the side effects behind me. I was wondering how long it takes the side effects to wear off once you go off the drug? I’ve been taking it for 3 1/2 months. I would appreciate to hear what your experience has been going off of drugs.

Thanks,
Seth

**sorry, this is all I could find. I got off Ami fairly quickly and easily…stepped down from 20mg to 15 and then 10, 5 etc over the course of about 20 days. NO problems…But am also on a secondary AD (Cymbalta). The Ami was rx for me because of sleeping problems. It didn’t really do too much, so they had me come off. I was on it for about 3 months. **

Dosage: By the book they’d start you off at 25mg three to four times a day. Or maybe all 75-100mg at once at bedtime. The thing is, once you start taking more than 100mg a day you need you need regular blood work. Yet the med isn’t rated as safe above 150mg a day. Wha-a-a-a? I’d start you out at 25mg a day and see how you go from there, and not bother with this med if it doesn’t work at 100mg a day.

Days to Reach a Steady State: None is published. And the half-life is too variable to really pin it down.

When you’re fully saturated with the medication and less prone to peaks and valleys of effects. You still might have peaks of effect after taking many meds, but with a lot of the meds you’ll have fewer valleys after this point. In theory anyway.

How Long it Takes to Work: TCAs generally take 14 to 28 days to kick in.

Half-Life & Average Time to Clear Out of Your System: There’s nothing in the PI sheet, and I’ve found independent sources giving ranges of 16-90 hours. So it could be anywhere from 3 to 19 days to step down each dosage.

If you’ve worked your way up to a particular dosage, it’s usually best to spend this many days at the next lowest dosage before going down the next lowest dosage before that and so forth. This is the least sucky way to avoid problems when stopping any psychiatric medication. Presuming you have the option of slowly tapering off them.
The above is from www.crazymeds.us