River running through the head?!

A weird symptom I wonder if anyone else can relate to. (Iā€™ve tried searching for it on here, but I donā€™t really know what to type in.)

When Iā€™m lying in bed at night, maybe before Iā€™ve gone to sleep, or if Iā€™ve woken up in the early hoursā€¦ I sometimes get a strange feeling of liquid rushing through my headā€¦ or, more specifically, liquid thundering violently through my head. Itā€™s located around the temples, in the general ear area, usually on both sides.

Iā€™m assuming itā€™s blood rushing through (contracted?) vessels, and the sensation is magnified.

On nights when this happens, if I also dreamā€¦ the dream tends to be of some sort of movement or something that challenges balance. So Iā€™ll dream that Iā€™m in a car chase, or driving up a vertical road, or standing on top of a skyscraper and looking down etcā€¦ and I assume this is an unconscious elaboration on the ā€œrushingā€ movement I notice when Iā€™m awake. Though, when Iā€™m awake, I donā€™t notice any dizziness alongside the feeling.

Most odd.

This any good? @Joseph0952

https://mvertigo.org/t/if-i-dont-take-my-medication/341

my mind (inside my head) does not feel Relaxed. Just the opposite. Another way to describe the symptoms are (for example)ā€¦if you were to slightly Jar a Fish Bowlā€¦you know how the water would swish back and forth & every which wayā€¦that is how it feels

Canā€™t say itā€™s something I have experienced however I can resonate with the dream connection. I have often dreamt I am having vertigo only to awake to find it wasnā€™t a dream after all. The mind is a very complex thing but it sure reflects the state of our subconscious often long before we ourselves actually realise the effect things are having on us.

The ā€˜water sloshingā€™ probably not at all significant. Just another result of the hypersensitivities we experience with MAV I guess. Or perhaps maybe itā€™s more the ā€˜brains rolling around inside the skullā€™ feeling. Plenty of references to that one.

1 Like

Thanks, itā€™s not quite what Iā€™m thinking of, but itā€™s all in the same ball park! My symptom is very localised to just inside the ear, on one or both sides, and itā€™s purely a forward-rushing liquid. So, imagine a thin rusty pipe, and water is gushing through it, but the pipe is too thin and the water is bursting and damming upā€¦ with no dizziness or rocking or anything alongside it. Purely a sensation of furiously flowing liquid.

Yes, I think just more migraine hypersensitivity. I do suspect itā€™s blood rushing through some sort of dilated or constricted vessel. Probably not coincidental that it seems to be next to the earā€¦ :woozy_face:

1 Like

Iā€™ve had that feeling. Itā€™s hard to describe it.

1 Like

Canā€™t really grasp that one. I always knew I was bit devoid of imagination. Certainly a new one on me and hoping it might remain that way. We certainly get to experience some strange sensations. Makes us see the world in a wholely different light. Perhaps one day in the overall scheme of things it will prove beneficial. We can only hope so!

1 Like

Yes Iā€™ve experienced it too, at night lying down. Tbh it frightened the life out of me at first. Thankfully it was just once. Sorry its happening frequently and like you I think thereā€™s a vascular element to it. Take care. Hope it eases for you.

1 Like