Robert Slater, MD, on MAV and MdDS

mddsfoundation.org/newslette … il2008.pdf

This may help clear things up a bit for some; it sure did for me. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing this. I was already comfortable with my diagnosis of migraine, but I would sometimes wonder whenever I read discussions comparing MDDS and MAV. According to this article, I clearly have MAV rather than MDDS. Thanks again for sharing. :slight_smile:

Well, for me it’s not so clear cut. My doctor’s at Johns Hopkins assure me that too much time between my “motion event” and my first symptoms to show that there is a correlation between the two, so I was diagnosed with MAV. But here’s the deal. I went to see “Cloverfield”, that stupid movie that has the camera shaking all over the place, on January 18th, 2008. My first symptoms started very briefly on January 22nd, again very briefly on January 23rd, and then January 24th, 2008 I was hit with a giant S#@! storm! My doctors say that this is too much time to be connected to a motion event. Anyone disagree? And to this day, I see the world moving around me 24/7 and that has never stopped. It has gotten a little better, and slightly more tolerable, but it never stopped. I don’t “feel” the motion when standing or sitting still, but I “see” it, 24/7. It would be nice to see the world still again, but after 1 year and 3 months of the world moving around, I’ve just sort of dealt with it. Never saw that in MAV before and nobody else seems to complain about it, but Topamax cleaned up ALL of my other symptoms except this one. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on that. I always suspected MAYBE a slight Mdds, but it makes very little sense based on the formula for how one develops it

Rich

Hi Rich!

What do you mean when you say you see the world moving around you? One symptom that sticks with me is I see a slight movement or shifting all the time, and I feel like my brain is always compensating for it. I wonder if we are talking about the same thing? I don’t feel it, I just see it. It is different than the spells of vertigo I have.

Hmm?

Marci

Good find Mikael – thanks for the article. MdDS was featured on 60 Minutes recently. Nightmare illness. S

— Begin quote from “MarciM”

Hi Rich!

What do you mean when you say you see the world moving around you? One symptom that sticks with me is I see a slight movement or shifting all the time, and I feel like my brain is always compensating for it. I wonder if we are talking about the same thing? I don’t feel it, I just see it. It is different than the spells of vertigo I have.

Hmm?

Marci

— End quote

That’s IT Marci right there! If I stare at something, it’s always just slightly shifting up, down, left, right. It’s just not still. And it’s not just one object. It’s that object and the entire world…uniformly. So it’s a bit of a trip looking out over the horizon and seeing it slightly bob, shift left, shift right, move up, move down. It’s annoying. The closer the object is to me, the less it appears to move. The further way it is, the more it moves. When i am moving, or driving in my car, that temporarily eliminates the sensation, and the more movement going on around me, the less I notice it, so if I am in a crowded situation and a lot of people are walking around me, I may not even notice it is happening until the motion around me is gone. Then, once my environment is more still, then I notice the “motion” again. But I don’t feel it. I only “see” it. It’s the most bizzare thing, and it never goes away. It’s 24/7. It’s the ONLY symptom the topamax didn’t handle, and it’s the only reason I am at 85-90%, and not 100%.

Rich

— Begin quote from “Rich2008”

— Begin quote from “MarciM”

Hi Rich!

Hmm?

Marci

— End quote

That’s IT Marci right there! If I stare at something, it’s always just slightly shifting up, down, left, right. It’s just not still. And it’s not just one object. It’s that object and the entire world…uniformly. So it’s a bit of a trip looking out over the horizon and seeing it slightly bob, shift left, shift right, move up, move down. It’s annoying. The closer the object is to me, the less it appears to move. The further way it is, the more it moves. When i am moving, or driving in my car, that temporarily eliminates the sensation, and the more movement going on around me, the less I notice it, so if I am in a crowded situation and a lot of people are walking around me, I may not even notice it is happening until the motion around me is gone. Then, once my environment is more still, then I notice the “motion” again. But I don’t feel it. I only “see” it. It’s the most bizzare thing, and it never goes away. It’s 24/7. It’s the ONLY symptom the topamax didn’t handle, and it’s the only reason I am at 85-90%, and not 100%.

Rich

— End quote

YES, YES, YES!!! I experience that too. Exactly as you described it. It is the most noticeable to me as soon as I open my eyes in the morning. Everything in my vision is shifting. The texture on my bedroom ceiling drives me crazy! Also, it can be quite bothersome when I am trying to look someone in the eye during a conversation. That along with visual snow and tinnitus are the three symptoms I have not been free of for even a moment in the past year and a half. Currently, my other symptoms are flaring up too, but those three are persistent even on my good days. Of course I am grateful to have had days where those were my only symptoms after going through the bad times.

I got that as well. If I look at a small object, I cant mantain focus for long and the object will try to jump away from where I fixate it sorta. I bet you guys get strange things happening if you look at (big) symmetrical carpets, if the road has a symmetrical pattern etc. ? I remember lying down on the porch last summer looking up, and I had a very clear-cut line from the roof extending over me. Looking at the clouds, it was as if I (and the roof) was moving and the clouds where still! I couldn’t shake that no matter what I did. Also just looking at clouds moving, they appear to be out of pace; they first hardly move at all and then suddenly there’s this jump where they have moved a bit. Like something wants them not to move, but eventually it is selfevident that they have done so (the gap between whats “wanted” and what actually is is just too big) so they jump to this spot. Also some digital displays appear to be flickering for me, whereas they aren’t for my friends.

Too me it seems that some forms of MAV and (some forms of?) MdDs probably are closely related, but not the same. It’s interesting what Dr Slater says about anti-sezuire, antidepressants + anti-anxiety -drugs all would/could work both for mav and mdds, whereas Verapamil and stuff of that kind would only work for a “pure” migraineous condition.

Scott, are you sure that it was 60 minutes? I know many on the mdds support group would be pleased to hear that :slight_smile: