Rough time

I’ve been going through a very bad time. For 3 months now I haven’t left my home due to vertigo. It all started one night after I had eaten dinner. Since then I have lost 25 pounds. I can only eat bread, oatmeal, chicken and other small amounts of blane food. I have much difficulty reading on the computer. I will get the spins and fall over with vertigo. I was asked by my ear doctor to get an MRI. I couldn’t go to his city for that as its 30 miles away. When all this started I felt my stomach is what was causing it. I will throw up acid I guess not sure what it is. I had a home visit doctor come to my house yesterday and he is sending me for MRI here. He said I could get the open kind even though my ear doctor said those aren’t strong enough to show everything. I called an expert on vestibular disorders and migraines and spoke with him on the phone his is in Illinois I am in Florida. He said maybe its from migraine. I don’t have any headaches with all this but will have ear pain. But I have ear pain when I haven’t had vertigo so not sure if its migraine or not. I had the feeling it was allergy related in some way as far a pollen not sure how that includes the stomach though but can understand how that could cause a migraine. Anyway does this sound familar to anyone that has a real MAV diagnoses? Does any know if the open MRI is good enough to give information. Doctor said it won’t show anything if its migraine anyway. On ENG I have bilateral loss. I have tried xanax a few times recently and it affect my balance. It seems to take away from my balance sensation of the rest of my body. Anyone have this affect from Xanax. I read that valium is a muscle relaxor and xanax isn’t. Not sure why this would happen with xanax everyone seems to get so much help from Xanax I wish I did to. Also one of the things affecting me the most is reading on the computer I have to anchor myself and get up and not really look at the screen for very long. Its not the light but seems to me to be the eye movement that goes with reading. Any thought would be helpful. Needless to say I am very depressed right now. I haven’t had this much vertigo in 10 years or so and then I don’t remember the stomach problems with it. Back then it seemed my balance was ok when I wasn’t having spinning vertigo. Or not as much at least of course I am 10 years older. If I get to a point of being able to travel again. I am suppose to see my ear doctor for a VEMP and rotational chair test. thanks
Linda

It sounds like you don’t have anyone to help you. I hope you get the MRI and get some evaluation soon, so you can start the evaluation, and hopefully some treatment.

Computers can be migraine triggers, especially if they are not a plasma screen—they flicker and can worsen migraine.

It really sounds like a sudden, acute change, and deserves evaluation.

Good luck.

Lady56-

Sorry to hear you’re having such a tough time.

An open-MRI is just as effective as the closed one. I had one done a year ago, when things got really bad for me. Just be sure to question them - I had to go back for a second one so they could inject the dye into me for a better reading. (They should have used the dye to begin with.)
And, no, technally migraine won’t show up on an MRI, but it does rule out other serious things.

The symptoms you mentioned are very much the same as mine. I have ear pain (sometimes very extreme), vertigo, and for many, many years what I always thought as allergies and sinus trouble are actually migraine-related. My vision at times is very blurred, as well as light-sensitivity. There are times when its all I can do to sit at my computer, because my eyes want to “jump” also. Its very annoying, depressing and down-right frightening.

Don’t give up, be as pro-active as you can. Read all that you can, keep a food diary, and try to notice any patterns to your symptoms. Its taken me a good year, but my symptoms do kind of cycle in a way, for instance, my ear pain and vertigo seem to come before the actual migraine, and I don’t have terrible headaches. Just mild pain, and mild nausea. I’m still trying to figure my triggers, but I can say this for sure-
certain foods, alcohol, and STRESS are biggies for me. Also, I think a major factor for me is hormones - getting closer to menopause.

Sorry for posting so long - you said you are in Florida - I am also. (Near Jacksonville).

Take Care and Hang in there
Kim

Hi Kira and Kim, Thanks for your replies. I am 51 so at that time of life also. I only hope if it from hormones one day when they stabilize I will do better. Kim are you taking any migraine meds that have helped you do better? I am suppose to have contrast with this MRI already been told that. My appointment been changed to Monday they didn’t have anyone there to give contrast on Friday. Hopefully all will be normal and we can move on to something else. I hadn’t noticed the ear pain or vertigo before migraine because I don’t get headache like I use to. But it might be I do have a lot of visual stuff. If I didn’t have so much vestibular loss I think it would have been better as far as diagnosing migraine problem.

Linda

Linda-

For the past year, I have been on propanolol (Inderal) as a migraine preventative. (A low dose I am told - 6o mg/day - 20 mg/am and 40 mg/pm). I have definitely seen some improvement. It does tend to make me tired, and I have considered trying other meds, but (like many others) I’m very sensitive to meds and am a little afraid to go out of my comfort zone.

I also take - Migrelief ( riboflavin, feverfew and B-12), magnesium (400 mg/day), and ginkgo (120 mg/day). I’m almost afraid to say this, but when vertigo hits, I take an ibuprofen, and I swear by it. (It takes about an hour, but for me it WORKS). I’m curious if anyone else has anything to say about that. I try not to take it very often, because I know its not good. Doctors used to have me taking meclizine for the vertigo, and all it would do was put me to sleep, fine if you want to sleep, but not good -especially since I’m a single parent of a 6 year old.

Try not to worry about the MRI - rule out the bad stuff- and free yourself to moving on. Its hard, I know, but with help from places like this it IS possible.

Let us know how it goes -

Kim

Hi Kim, Its so hard having young children and this problem. Thank goodness my sons are in thier 20s now and I don’t them to worry about. I haven’t tried Ibuprofen so don’t have any opinion about it. I really need to be taking supplements right now I am not getting what I need. Glad the meds are helping you. I have am sensitive to meds to so understand you not wanting to change what your taking. thanks

Linda

I have a more chronic low grade vertigo at this point, but my daughter has classic migraine associated vertigo. When the room spins, or she feels gross, she takes ibuprofen–600 to 800mg and it usually works within the hour. Depending on the day, she may need to repeat the dose. Sometimes she’ll wake with the room spinning, and she takes ibuprofen immediately. This has been a pattern of hers for years–since she was around 8 and before she developed more typical migraines. I she would wake with vertigo, we’d give her ibuprofen immediately, and it would usually get better within an hour. The key, for her, is to take the ibuprofen as soon as she notes she’s getting dizzy. She’s on nortyptiline also.
I don’t take classic migraine suppresives, due to other medication interactions, but I do take klonopin and I take magnesium, riboflavin, coQ10 and fish oil.
I hope the MRI goes well.

Hi Linda ,
i also have a problem with the computor i had to get a lcd screen as they dont seem to effect me as much. you children might know how to turn up the rate on you computor screen to cut down the flicker. older style monitors play havoc with migrainures or epileptics as well.
i’m so sorry youre feeling so horrible at the moment. ive also had this problem for a very long time. i was just saying to dizzyloop i cant even go into fluro lights with out a bad attack.
take care hugs from jen

— Begin quote from “AZdizzy”

Linda-

For the past year, I have been on propanolol (Inderal) as a migraine preventative. (A low dose I am told - 6o mg/day - 20 mg/am and 40 mg/pm). I have definitely seen some improvement. It does tend to make me tired, and I have considered trying other meds, but (like many others) I’m very sensitive to meds and am a little afraid to go out of my comfort zone.

I also take - Migrelief ( riboflavin, feverfew and B-12), magnesium (400 mg/day), and ginkgo (120 mg/day).
— Begin quote from ____

I’m almost afraid to say this, but when vertigo hits, I take an ibuprofen, and I swear by it. (It takes about an hour, but for me it WORKS). I’m curious if anyone else has anything to say about that. I try not to take it very often, because I know its not good.

— End quote

Doctors used to have me taking meclizine for the vertigo, and all it would do was put me to sleep, fine if you want to sleep, but not good -especially since I’m a single parent of a 6 year old.

Try not to worry about the MRI - rule out the bad stuff- and free yourself to moving on. Its hard, I know, but with help from places like this it IS possible.

Let us know how it goes -

Kim

— End quote

Hi Kim,

I laughed out loud, although it’s not really funny, because I too, have found relief with Advil. Not sure why, I even thought maybe it was psychological because I’m a mediphobe (not the technical word) and Advil is the ONLY medication I will take without fear of side effects. AND Advil actually calms my migraine. Doesn’t alleviate it but I can’t take many of the meds out there for migraine due to having MVP. (I just recently posted my story under the thread about new people to the forum, or something like that). Advil had been a lifesaver or at the least, a mind saver. Glad to see someone else has had that experience.

Andrea

— Begin quote from ____

(I just recently posted my story under the thread about new people to the forum, or something like that).

— End quote

That thread is called Share Your Story…FYI