Same Old Song

Hi Everyone,

As long as i take my Medication on a regular day basis, keep my stress low, work only part-time for now…and watch my diet plus get a proper amount of sleep…i usually will wake up with the same routine symptoms as follows. They go like this:

I wake up feeling generally not too bad. But within about an hour…or sometimes after a couple of hours i begin to feel this Sensation that slowly creeps inside my head…it’s like nervous energy building up…plus Tension increasing inside my head…and then with that recipe…the back and forth motion excels which includes a dull thobbing feeling which moves around in my head (swishing every which way). Most of the time i don’t let it get to this point…because i take my medication early on. But if i don’t take the med’s…all of these symptoms that i just mentioned build-up and escalate to a point where i am so uncomfortable and irritable that i cannot leave the house or have any fun. Infact…it is even hard for me to have a decent one on one conversation with someone.

Does anyone relate to any of this?

Joe

Hi Joe yes , it all sounds familiar to me.
Isat down one day and worked out what happens before and during my whole migriane cycle,
I was telling someone about it today on a PM.
this is what I wrote. 8)
I think you might find **some of this similar ** maybe???

1 mood (excited) 3 hours before event
2 aura visual ect… / 60minutes , leg twitching ect…
3 visual shifting / side to side shaking 15minutes
4 thoughts scurrying / trying to find a place/ 20minutes
6 fear panicky feeling /30 minutes :evil:
7 cant speak / slurring words/ decreased awareness/ repeating a words/
8 euphoria, as in overwhelming calmness ½ hour
9 vertigo / rocking/ visual rotation
10 sleep like there’s no tomorrow.
11 stiffness of all muscles in body, legs like rocks

I know there is a component to my migraine
Where we feel the exact feeling as an adrenalin panic attack.
Because I deliberately stayed calm through it, if that makes ANY sense?
and could still feel the panic feeling over taking my brain.
yuck :twisted:
jen

Yes, I can relate to this. I don’t take any meds YET. But I go for a very long time (weeks) without an attack and then I get just what you describe and in fact I have it right now. Began to get those feelings on Sunday morning and they are still with me and have escalated a bit.
Do you get a dizzy/woozy feeling when you tuck your head under your arm? I know that sounds weird but it would be like if you went to go smell your armpit, I know that sounds even weirder, but when I get my head in that position looking to the right, whoa!! The world goes upside down. The only reason I know that can happen (I don’t go around smelling my armpit, lol) is because last winter I had to go through vestibular rehab and my therapist made me do that position and I could not believe how awful that felt. I have always wondered if anyone else gets that feeling. Thats a little off your subject, but it goes hand in hand with the feelings you describe.

Joe,

I was a lot like that before I got a proper diagnoses and found the right meds. The worse spot for me was when I was taking the wrong med for a while in our search for the correct medications. I would struggle to get out of bed in the morning, and expereince a sensation that can only be described as if my eyes were being pulled down and to the right, wich corresponded to the odd motion senestations I was getting at the time. It didn’t take long before I quit taking the med against doctors orders.

Eventually we found the right med, and a majority of the problem went away. I still have mornings were I wake up feeling wrung out, and I know things are going to get much worse as the day progresses. On those days, I go to work and struggle through my day until I get to the point that I either I can’t walk or I can’t think and then I go home. Fortunately I work for a company that allows for flexible time as long as you are getting your assignments done and don’t leave your team hanging.

Brian

Joe,

Yes, it’s the story of my MAV life. The Same Old Sad Song. Every morning, I wake up feeling okay. Good night’s sleep, feel almost like my old self for maybe half an hour or an hour, but of course i know it’s lurking. And even though I take my first of three .5 Klonopin as soon as I jump out of bed, slowly but surely, the rolling starts as the morning starts. Within a few hours i’m mildly to moderately rocking **and ** rolling. And i’m looking forward to my second of three .5 mg Klonopin. God, can you just imagine how bad i would be without Klonopin? And that’s just suppressing me!

Even with all the improvements i’ve had, and thank God for them, these meds have been life-saving, it’s still very sad, the chronicity of it. The Effexor, at 37.5, has given me nothing. One member of this board assures me that he’s known a bunch of people who have had to go up to 75, but i’ve had most of my improvements at the lower doses of the meds i’ve taken.

I do have options - Increase Effexor, increase Topamax, add a TCA. But some days i feel more hopeful than others, there is just no explaining that.

Julie

Julie,

You take Klonopin which if i’m not mistaken…takes longer to get into your system but once it’s there…it stays for a longer time, compared to Xanex which jumps into my system within 10-15 minutes or so. But does not last as long. Soon when i take my one pill in the morning…on most days (not all) that is all i need. Now…many years back (1990’s) when things were extremely bad i was taking 7 Xanex’s per day…i was so over-medicated…but i had to so that i would not have as much Vertigo episodes. Remember…i have been dealing with this Dizzy Monster for 16 years and it has been about the last 4 years where i don’t have the Vertigo anymore…but i still have the Motion like on a boat but most of the motion is felt in my head.

I just wish i could get rid of the TENSION like feeling in my head…that would really help. Half the battle was getting a diagnosis…but tossing out the Tension would certainly help too. When i wake up in the morning…as the minutes tick by i feel this slightly like swelling in my head that worsens…like my head is being filled with air. I know that sounds insane…but i just can’t seem to relax my head on my own so that it feels back to normal…i have to rely on the one pill of Xanex to do this. The good thing is that i use to take 7 pills daily and now i’m down too One…but for some reason i cannot get beyond that one pill.

Joe

Joe,

you are right on about Klonopin, it took a little bit before i was feeling a steady state, and i still feel some ups and downs but they are trivial as compared to the beginning. I feel like a living breathing Klonopin pill. And thank God for it - like Xanax for you, it has been given me half of my improvements. And the rest i owe to Topamax!

when you talk about that tension in your head, i always think of the tension in, or on, my head, which i know now is different than yours. Mine is more on my scalp, or just inside. But it is not so much in my brain as you talk about. and it doesn’t slosh around. There have been others on this forum who are more certain they have your symptom - Heather and Boslee, I believe? (i apologize greatly if my memory fails me) That must be extremely uncomfortable. I know the tension i feel in my scalp, although nothing compared to the rocking and rolling, is still extremely uncomfortable. Sometimes i think it’s a substitute for the pain of the migraine.

16 years Joe. You have really done well considering this monster. 7 tabs down to 1. And you need that 1. You’ve proven that you can go down, dramatically. I remember seeing a video by…can’t think of the guy’s name, at Mass Eye and Ear - Krauss ?? Who said that even with successful preventative treatments, most MAVers will need a vestibular suppressant to live normal lives. You just may need that 1 tab. BTW, what’s the dosage of that 1 tab?

Julie

Hi Julie,

I recall sometime back you saing that you don’t have the sloshing around feeling inside your head like myself. You mentioned Heather has it. It’s kind of like when your standing in the ocean with water up to mid-chest and little choppy waves hit you from every direction…well on my bad days…or if i don’t take medication that is exactly how it feels in my head and it gets so bad that i feel like i’m deep sea fishing. :frowning: Vertigo can also develop. Then of course my equilibrium is affected. But after 16 years and a confirmed diagnosis…you begin to learn what helps and what aggravates. I live a rather simple life now…very few surprises. I have too. Sometimes when i plan to take a plane trip somewhere…I have to cancel and reschedule because of this condition. But other times the trip plan works out and i go when it was scheduled. So living my life one day at a time helps.

The one tab of Xanex is the lowest strength you can purchase…0.25mg. Before when i was taking 7 tabs per day the strength was 0.5mg. I use to even slur my words…atleast that is what a couple of friends told me. I generally do not say my brain is where the sloshing around is…all i know is that it’s inside my head…feels real squirrly or something eating at me… like i’m on some street drug… and it’s like tension out of control. Adventually if i don’t take medication… Panic comsumes me and takes over. Interesting that my very first diagnosis back in 1992 was “Panic Disorder”…hmmmmm

Joe

Joe sorry for asking my topa makes me forget things.
Did you have and MRI and other stuff?

Migraine does cause extra intercrainal pressure hey?
I’m sure I read that somewhere along my cyberchondria rode trip.
It’s from the outer membrane sheath (that covers the brain) I believe becoming inflamed and then causing the water underneath to become pressured, kind of like hydrocephalous thingy,
I believe they use shunts to relieve pressure for that.
Anybody have any ideas on this.

You’d think there would be a test for cranial pressure hey?
And I suppose it might only occur during or around the time of the mig itself.
So yes I could imagine this extra pressure possible, yuck

I used to have pressure during a bad episode but not to the degree you and Julie speak of.
My pressure was more like what Heather use to talk about in the back of my scull not the whole head.
And it was intermittent. Or just after the mig itself.

Where is she any way?
Heather?

jen 8)

Joe,

i think i can imagine that feeling, you describe it well. i can imagine it. especially when you add… it’s as if you’re on some kind of street drug. and the xanax calms everything down. well, i guess you need it.

or, it’s possible, i withdrew from valium 30 years ago, and it didn’t feel good going down but it wasn’t until i quit that very last pill that things got “out of control” could it be that?

Julie

Halfthere,

I certainly can relate to moving your head towards your armpit and then feeling a real woozy/motion like condition come one. I also feel it if i’m talking to two people (one person on left side of me and another on right side of me) and my head moving to the right and then to the left to acknowledge the person…that really messes me up. Also…riding in a car and the person driving is a real BREAKER…constantly pressing on the breaks…that excelerates the motion for a few days. I am so sensitive to motion! Always have been…and most likely always will be. I just don’t see that ever changing.

Joe

— Begin quote from “joseph0952”

Halfthere,

I certainly can relate to moving your head towards your armpit and then feeling a real woozy/motion like condition come one. I also feel it if i’m talking to two people (one person on left side of me and another on right side of me) and my head moving to the right and then to the left to acknowledge the person…that really messes me up. Also…riding in a car and the person driving is a real BREAKER…constantly pressing on the breaks…that excelerates the motion for a few days. I am so sensitive to motion! Always have been…and most likely always will be. I just don’t see that ever changing.

Joe

— End quote

I have ditto you on this post Joe