Shimmering Vision?

I have read many people in different groups commenting on shimmering vision being associated with an inner ear problem.
I’m wondering if it can also be associated with MAV and even with Benzo use?

When I say shimmer, if you stare at something, it’s like the heat that rises up from the highway in the desert. :?

Heather

Heather,

I went through all that crazy visual stuff last year. floaters, flashes, you name it. I googled and googled and I had all the signs of retinal detachment. And the symptom you described was one of the signs of a dangerous retinal detachment, but as I was googling just now I found this link describing the symptoms as an ophthalmic migraine, scroll down the page a little:

richmondeye.com/eyehealth_floater.asp

BTW, with migraine treatment, all those signs of retinal detachment went away.

Julie

igitur-archive.library.uu.nl/dis … 622/c8.pdf

Table 2 on page 6, first item

Shimmering vision ,
heat rising , like off a hot road,
or a rippling pool of water,
similar to the special effect they use in all the space movies,( time travel portals),you step throught what appears to be a rippling water wave into the otherside.
thats what I get, in a circle, creepy shit!!!
this is why the Neuro said (definatly MAV ), he said it was the TELLTAIL sign for him?
jen

I’m telling you guys, if you’ve got a symptom - Jenny will know it!

Yeah but did I get that prior to taking Benzos? I don’t think so.
For me it happens when I look at lines or bars. Like our front door has wrought-iron bars on it and with the light hitting the door, the bars shimmer.
It doesn’t happen if I look at a coffee pot or a box. For some reason it only happens with certain things. Parts of windows, too. Like frames in the window.

Heather

— Begin quote from "Heather"

I have read many people in different groups commenting on shimmering vision being associated with an inner ear problem.
I’m wondering if it can also be associated with MAV and even with Benzo use?

When I say shimmer, if you stare at something, it’s like the heat that rises up from the highway in the desert. :?

Heather

— End quote

Heather,

The shimmering you describe sounds very common to what people with ocular migraines, or migraines centered around the eyes. It is quite common for people who experience one type of migraine to experience multiple types.

Hey Juls You know the lava lamp thingy ,
Mine is completely different to yours. Mine is transparent, and it looks as if it slides down glass, but in the same way as a lava lamp. Up and down. Round and round. But it doesn’t change or morph
Mine is so boring!!!
Ps. my head is still clear. yippy

jen :shock:

Jen,

Sorry your lava lamp is so boring :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, Topa has taken mine away completely and i miss it dearly. It was a symptom that came on before I knew I was even starting to get sick. It would intensify during massage or even if my husband rubbed my forehead.

My was semi-transparent. I could see it with my eyes opened or closed.

It was blue/purple/golden shimmering energy moving towards me in the shape of balls which morphed like a lava lamp does.

When I would wake up in the middle of the night it would sometimes be red or orange and once took on the shape of a snowflake.

Now it’s gone.

The other thing that i’ve lost due to my meds is my dream connection. That I blame on Zoloft, which also cleared up the hypnagogny so I won’t complain too much, but it’s still a loss. I used to wake each morning and journal my dreams. I did a 12 year Jungian analysis and my dreams gave me great guidance about where I was - in that day and in life in general. Even during my big crash, before any meds, I knew what my day would be like. When I would wake up saying, Oh Sh-t!, my husband would say “what did you dream?” The dream process is something I developed over many years so it’s a big loss, but compared to the living Hell of MAV, oh well.

How did we get here, oh yea, shimmering vision. Leave it to me to get off topic.

Julie

Ok, I am just reading this being a newbie and all and dang if this doesn’t sound familiar! I am amazed. I see flashes sometimes and trails following object that move. THIS is a sign of migraine? Wow, I consider myself a menieres and BPPV expert but I don’t know squat about MAV, very very interesting!

— Begin quote from "Shedizzy"

Ok, I am just reading this being a newbie and all and dang if this doesn’t sound familiar! I am amazed. I see flashes sometimes and trails following object that move. THIS is a sign of migraine? Wow, I consider myself a menieres and BPPV expert but I don’t know squat about MAV, very very interesting!

— End quote

That’s the thing about MAV (and migraines in general) it has so many symptoms that vary for each of us, that it often looks like other things, depending on which symptoms show themselves.

I can’t tell you how many times someone has mentioned, on this board, a bizarre symptom, that I thought I had, all by myself, only to discover it was common to migraine - and what a relief that was.

I’ve had this illness for a long time so I suppose I’ve forgotten more than I remember?
With my brain, that’s nothing unusual.
Sometimes I’ll only recall some things when others say it.
For many years I pushed one of my Alice in wonderland syndrome symptoms to the back of my mind, not knowing it had a thing to do with Migraine, as I had NO headache " it’s called the rushes" disgusting feeling.
Everything speeds up very fast, and feels like you in an old silent black and white movie, you know, where they are in fast motion.
I didn’t tell my neuro about this symptom until after my mav diagnosis for fear he’d put me on psyche meds.
When I eventually asked, he told me it was migraine related Alice in wonderland syndrome.
Spooky stuff.
But my visual aura is defiantly boring,
Heather I do have what you are talking about as well, lines are never defined always moving.
Jen.

when i was real sick, lines were never defined, always moving. wavy