Shortness of Breath

Hi All,

over the past few weeks I have had a few episodes (mainly when laying down on bed at night) where I feel like I am short of breath. It’s an uncomfortable feeling where I have to almost breath manually instead of automatically.

I am still only on 10mg of Nori but would be surprised that after being on it for 7 weeks this symptom has only just started.

I saw my local GP today and they believe its more likely linked to the amount of pollen in the air and as I am cycling a lot I am breathing it in more and more. They have given me an asthma inhaler to trial for a few weeks (even though i’ve never suffered from asthma before)

The GP was very thorough, they listened to my lungs, my heart, I did a special lung breathing test recorded by computer and also had a blood test and she has ruled out it being a clot or anything physically wrong with my lungs or heart.

anyone else had anything similar?

Cheers
Rich

Hello mate.

Sounds like hayfever to me :smiley: Everyone is complaining about theere hayfever starting. Must be the time of year and the weather

Hey dude,

Could it be anxiety? x

Hey guys :),

Unfortunately, with this mav shite, many of us have chronic hay fever as well which is just fantastic! Last spring/ summer mine was hideous & so was the mav. I mentioned this on another thread, I have noticed even if I have had a good few days all I need is the slightest sniffle and my head starts feeling very woozy…I asked Dr S about this & he said it won’t be forever , whilst the brain is healing this will happen. Now for the good news, in theory if once we are healed the sniffles don’t create the bobble head feeling, there’s no reason why the hay fever shouldn’t be as awful either! In the meantime I got stocked up on the loretadine & eye drops! X

Hey MM. I guess it could be anxiety although strange that I am not feeling as anxious lately. I have been doing a lot more and when ive been out riding (most recently 100km) I have no issues.

It could well be hayfever but its weird that ive never suffered with it before. The doc did say that this crap can just start one day out of the blue though so not ruling it out.

I get this Richy. It doesn’t seem to be anxiety and, whilst I do get hayfever, this symptom is definitely not part of my hayfever. I noticed it first in Dec 2010 so not during hayfever season. I went to the doctors and they did an ECG, blood tests and confirmed my was heart was fine. I had been doing more exercise at the time (just simple arerobic stuff) and my diaphragm seemed to go really tight. I was short of breath and kept having to yawn and take really deep breaths to get air in my lungs. I have had episodes of it since then, usually linked to doing more physical activity. I did a post here a few months back asking if anyone else had it but I don’t think they had. I assume it is related to my VM and I wondered if the muscles are more prone to spasm now. Someone else on another forum suggested I may have Lyme disease because apparently a phenomenon called ‘air hunger’ is a symptom of Lyme. I haven’t been tested for Lyme so I don’t know but fortunately it has gone away and seems to flare up sporadically. I wonder if what you describe is the same thing…

NB/ I get hayfever too and the main symptoms of that are watery itchy eyes, sneezing, blocked nose, sore itchy throat and ear passageways and generally feeling more woozy and headachy.

Jem - you are completely correct about “air hunger.” I am not saying that Lyme is the only cause of breathing problems, but I have come to know it as common symptom of the coinfection Babesia.

Yup…I concur.

If you have MAV and this symptom, I suggest you look into Lyme Disease and Babesia. Both are tick-borne and rampant in Switzerland and the EU in general, as well as the USA.

Both cause dizziness and MAV like symptoms. And a classic symptom of Babesia in particular is “air hunger”, where you feel like you can’t get enough air into your lungs / where breaths arent’ satisfying.

Do you get night sweats? Do you ahve any anxiety? Both classic with Lyme & Babesia.

I don’t have night sweats and only had anxiety at the beginning when the dizziness first started and my balance went haywire which freaked out my brain. I don’t really have that many symptoms, its mainly dizziness/off balance and fatigue and then neck pain which has been helped loads by nori.

everyone presents so very differently. there are 100s of strains of lyme and coinfections. and everyone’s body reacts so differently to this infection.
i always found this document helpful. dr. burrascano is the top resarcher in this field. lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf
I definitely think it’s at least worth ruling out. if you decide to do so, I’ll answer any questions you have.

Mavlisa,

I know you are on a lyme mission. I appreciate the info you have provided it’s very useful but can you please try and calm it down. You’re talking about Lyme in every post. I know why you are doing this. You should really be talking about Lyme in other illness section. We don’t want people to worry when they don’t need to and spend a fortune on unnecessary test

— Begin quote from “bcb1200”

Do you get night sweats? Do you ahve any anxiety? Both classic with Lyme & Babesia.

— End quote

Also with menopause. Richy, is there something you aren’t telling us?

oh my god its gone lyme mad!! :lol:

Like i said before it sounds like hayfever to me. The person i sit next next to at work has your symtons. He takes antihistamines. My hayfever started 2 years a go.

It could also be anxiety

I just looked up Babesia on the Lyme Disease website and it said this:-

Symptoms of babesiosis are similar to those of Lyme disease but it more often starts with a high fever and chills. As the infection progresses, patients may develop fatigue, headache, drenching sweats, muscle aches, nausea, and vomiting. Babesiosis is often so mild it is not noticed but can be life-threatening to people with no spleen, the elderly, and people with weak immune systems. Complications include very low blood pressure, liver problems, severe hemolytic anemia (a breakdown of red blood cells), and kidney failure.

I know these infections present differently in different people but the description above does not really fit me. Also do people with Lyme generally go worse with time as it is left untreated? I don’t really think mine has gone worse. I can get better and worse days and phases but I don’t feel that it has just progressed going worse and worse with more symptoms which I would think would happen if I had Lyme. That is why I am not convinced I have Lyme, however I would like to rule it out. It’s just a matter of getting the money really x

— Begin quote from “robertgreen99”

oh my god its gone lyme mad!! :lol:

Like i said before it sounds like hayfever to me. The person i sit next next to at work has your symtons. He takes antihistamines. My hayfever started 2 years a go.

It could also be anxiety

— End quote

Indeed. Or asthma, pneumonia, bronchitis, pulmonary embolism, anemia, congestive heart failure, systemic mastocytosis (my personal favourite at this time), lung cancer, pneumothorax…or… hayfever. Let’s go with hayfever as a first option before jumping to a Lyme diagnosis yet again. It is Spring time in Switzerland after all… Or at least give the Ventolin and/or anti histamines a trial first.

— Begin quote from “Jem”

I had been doing more exercise at the time (just simple arerobic stuff) and my diaphragm seemed to go really tight. I was short of breath and kept having to yawn and take really deep breaths to get air in my lungs. I have had episodes of it since then, usually linked to doing more physical activity. I did a post here a few months back asking if anyone else had it but I don’t think they had…

— End quote

Hi Jem

I’m someone who had this exactly as you describe, some years ago now. A diaphragm that goes really tight - a perfect description. It bothered me a lot, scared me actually. I was so concerned I went to the GP who did a peak flow test, which was normal, if not better than normal. I never did find out what it was - tension maybe, I thought, holding myself all wrong - but I don’t really know to this day. I think I had one or two minor episodes of it following that major one but it’s not been a problem for many years now. So, whatever it was, it seemed to be of no medical consequence, although it definitely caused me a lot of grief in terms of worry at the time!

Brenda

Hi Richy,
not saying yours is anxiety, but I did battle against these very feelings (tight chest, can’t get a ‘satisfying’ or ‘full-enough’ breath, etc) for a long, long time when I suffered from anxiety and panic attacks. My main focus would always be my breathing, and I’d always be wary of it ‘clamping down’. I found it very difficult to continue going to the gym, and would be afraid to get my breathing going too fast during exercise. I can almost revive the feeling even now (and I’ve been clear of anxiety and panic attacks for a long time now), by over-focusing on my breathing - instead of it happening autonomously, it then becomes a manual effort.

Hope it improves for you,
Tony.

1 Like

Hi Brenda

That’s interesting, I wonder what it is. I know mine isn’t anxiety as I have had that and it’s not the same. It didn’t happen whilst I was doing exercise, it was like a delayed response after a few weeks of exercising. Have you ruled out Lyme and other disorders? x

i get something similar only its kind of like i cant keep my eyes open and i panic a little- this happened even years before the mav- it happens typically in big crowded stores with a lot going on visually- like grocery stores or places like target. Its like i cant keep my eyes open bc it is too much visual info- if i focus on my breathing it will pass in a couple minutes and i calm down. i have also gotten this driving which is scary. just focusing on breathing right is what stops it or sometimes if in a store i close my eyes for a few seconds. i wonder if this is a migraine thing that i got way before the mav.

tony how r u doing on pizotifen, still going well?

— Begin quote from “Jem”

That’s interesting, I wonder what it is. I know mine isn’t anxiety as I have had that and it’s not the same. It didn’t happen whilst I was doing exercise, it was like a delayed response after a few weeks of exercising. Have you ruled out Lyme and other disorders? x

— End quote

I don’t believe mine was anxiety either. You’re right, it’s not the same as that at all. It’s really as if your diaphragm is stuck. I haven’t ruled out Lyme with a test, no. I was pretty sure I had a watertight case of VM, with my history and all but lately, to be honest I’ve begun to wonder. So I’m keeping an open mind but on balance I think my diagnosis of MAV from one hospital and VM from another is probably spot on, bearing in mind my symptoms and history etc. MS and Meniere’s were ruled out early on.

Do you feel you are moving forward and making progress now?

Brenda