The Migraine Associated Vertigo Community
Read our welcome post, user support wiki & visit our member recommended products page

Slow and (un)steady

Summary

I had a handful of migraines as a teenager then they stopped. Or so I thought. Fast forward into my mid-thirties and a brand spanking new version I didn’t know existed called vestibular migraine overtook my brain and life. Slowly regaining everything back. My symptoms are more migraine-dominant (nightly migraines) but I still have 24/7 dizziness and hyperacusis.

First acute balance issues:Started with eye symptoms - visual vertigo with computer screens

Number & duration of acute phase(s): 3 months of pure survival mode, chronic awfulness but more bearable stage is ongoing

Any suspicious physical event/trauma leading up to dizziness: history of concussion but none directly related

Start of chronic phase: Winter 2020

Age at chronic onset: 34

Started medication: I self-diagnosed about 2 weeks after having symptoms and started Propranolol 2 weeks later

Number & type of consultants seen to date: too many to count, most clueless. Confusing road trying to rule out other conditions and underlying causes. I’ve at this point decided it’s mostly crappy genetics.

Diagnoses received: Vestibular migraine, several others were proposed but MAV fits the best

Medications used successfully for MAV: propranolol sort of, Emgality TBD!

Failed medications for MAV: Nortriptyline

Non-pharmalogical treatment tried which helped: acupuncture for stress relief but not for the migraine symptoms. Cefaly helps some.

Non-pharmalogical treatment tried which didn’t seem to help: chiropractor neck adjustments!

Dietary triggers identified: vinegar, caffeine. Doing the full elimination diet for almost 2 months

Any hearing loss in either ear:nope

Persistent or intermittent tinnitus and character:persistent tinnitus including pulsatile

Other chronic conditions I’m suffering from: dry eye

Medication I’m taking for other conditions:none

Any personal history of migraines:yes

Any family history of migraines:NO!

Any history of ear problems:not really

How did friends, family, and doctors react to your symptoms?:bewildered but supportive

3 Likes

I always remember listening to one eminent medic years ago who, when asked the secret of living a long health-problem free life, replied ‘be extremely careful when selecting your parents’.

Oh you deleted all the nice formatting of the template including table of contents and sections … was that intentional? It’s now harder to see the distinction between question and answer.

Thanks for completing most of it in any case.

2 Likes

not intentional. user error.

1 Like

np. Posts can include Markdown formatting to make them quite rich.

It’s now a wiki if you wish to make further changes (eg if your condition evolves). There is an edit button bottom right of OP.