Some good news for the ladies

**Breast Cancer Risk Lower for Women with Migraine **
By Crystal Phend, Staff Writer, MedPage Today
Published: July 09, 2009
Reviewed by Zalman S. Agus, MD; Emeritus Professor
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and
Dorothy Caputo, MA, RN, BC-ADM, CDE, Nurse Planner

SAN FRANCISCO, July 9 – The reduced risk of breast cancer seen in women with migraines appears to hold regardless of menopausal status and exposure to migraine risk factors, a large study affirmed.

Risk of breast cancer was 21% lower in premenopausal women with a history of migraine and 26% lower in postmenopausal migraineurs than in those without a clinical migraine diagnosis, Christopher I. Li, MD, PhD, of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, and colleagues found.

The reduction in risk was not attenuated by use of prescription migraine medications or by absence of migraine triggers, such as alcohol, exogenous hormones, and smoking, they reported in Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention.

Hi Lisa,

Great find. Here’s the article for those who want to read more:

Scott 8)

Always gotta show me up Scott…lol :slight_smile: Thanks for posting the full article!
Best,
Lisa

Glad to know there is something good about all of this stuff. :smiley:

— Begin quote from “MAVNY”

Always gotta show me up Scott…lol :slight_smile: Thanks for posting the full article!
Best,
Lisa

— End quote

LOL. Glad I can get access to this stuff and pool it here. Maybe one day we’ll see an article titled “Migraine –– cured!”

Had a fun day today. Here in Australia it’s National Diabetes Week. We set up this massive tent near the football ground with the aim of testing over 2,000 people’s blood pressure (a big risk factor for diab). We didn’t quite hit the target (about 1,000) but at least found quite a few who need to see their doc for follow-up. One person’s reading was 212/110!! Wow. Maybe I should have polled people for MAV!

Hope you’re having a good weekend! :smiley:

Hi Scott!
Yes Migraine —cured… now that would be amazing. MAV cured too would be a dream…

Sounds like you really made a difference in picking up the “silent killer” in a few people. And if they have MAV too by chance, I hope you suggested Verapamil…lol :slight_smile: What do you do that you are involved in such amazing work? It’s really unbelievable how many people are walking around with tremendous risk factors that they have no idea about. Type 2 diabetes is at epidemic proportions here in the states mainly as a result of obesity. I think the latest statistic was that 2/3 of Americans were obese or overweight. Alarming. We are now even seeing Type 2 diabetes in children… really sad for the next generation.

Hope you had a great weekend too!
Lisa