Sometimes it feels as though EVERY food is a trigger

I feel like every time I eat something, no matter what it is, my symptoms become exacerbated. I’ll make myself chicken breast with olive oil, salt and pepper and white rice and a side vegetable (all prepared with just salt, pepper and ev olive oil) and my symptoms will worsen within 25 minutes to an hour. I accept that some foods may be worse than others (I do think that cutting cheese, chocolate and other common triggers out of my diet 5 years ago has helped to some extent, but I’m not how much), but I can’t seem to find any foods that are completely safe.

Now I understand that diet changes alone cannot help everyone, but what I’m suggesting is that no matter what I eat my symptoms actually worsen. Does anyone else have this issue?

yup…

sometimes i just give up trying…if the food doesnt make me sick then the stress & lack of sleep does! :x & if theres one thing thats abundant in my life…its Stress.

Could it be because of changes in your mood?

Sometimes I will go out to dinner and be fine. Order the same thing.
A few weeks later, exact same thing, and I feel wobbly a few hours later… so who knows.

You know as silly as it sounds, I read that Chicken can be a trigger. See its everything…! That is why I dont try the diet, it equals to much stress,
and stress is def. my trigger.

K

Are you sure its not psychological/anxiety based?
The meal you described should be perfectly ok for the MAV diet. After you eat next time take some deep breaths and tell yourself that you do not feel any worse because the meal you ate was just fine. Try to enjoy the meal and not question what is in it.
I know how you feel about being scared to eat everything but i think sometimes we get so obsessed that we feel worse from just thinking about it!
Remember, tell yourself you are NOT worse from eating the foods that you know are ok :slight_smile:
Hope you feel a bit better soon

Let me try a silly question: do you know that the chicken breast was really fresh?

Let me try a sillier question: What do you mean by “fresh”? It wasn’t marinated - just plan old chicken breast. It wo’asn’t frozen, but I don’t think that’s what you’re asking?

— Begin quote from “Deethedizzy”

Are you sure its not psychological/anxiety based?
The meal you described should be perfectly ok for the MAV diet. After you eat next time take some deep breaths and tell yourself that you do not feel any worse because the meal you ate was just fine. Try to enjoy the meal and not question what is in it.
I know how you feel about being scared to eat everything but i think sometimes we get so obsessed that we feel worse from just thinking about it!
Remember, tell yourself you are NOT worse from eating the foods that you know are ok :slight_smile:
Hope you feel a bit better soon

— End quote

I agree with this. I would focus more on anxiety issues than food, as your diet is migraine friendly.

What I mean by fresh isn’t did you slap it silly.

Here’s the deal:

1. My doc warned me not to eat food, even cooked food that’s been in the fridge, that’s more than a couple of days old, because that nonessential amino acid that is so bad for MAV will build up.
  2. My sweetie was out sick for two weeks in the Fall because one of her favorite restaurants served her a chicken dish that had been left out in the kitchen a little too long, and it give her a royal case of food poisoning.

I put those two things together . . .

Oh, and here’s a third: much of the poultry sold around here is injected with either saline or broth to build up the weight the grocers can charge for.

— Begin quote from “david shapiro”

What I mean by fresh isn’t did you slap it silly. quote]

I’ve just fallen off my chair laughing.

You guys :lol:

— End quote

— Begin quote from “Muppo”

— Begin quote from “david shapiro”

What I mean by fresh isn’t did you slap it silly. quote]

I’ve just fallen off my chair laughing.

You guys :lol:

— End quote

— End quote

I hope you’d finished licking the screen before you fell off the chair! :lol: Mmmm cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

Grocery store chicken and meats from the grocery store in general are injected with preservatives to keep it fresh and maintain its color. You also do not know what that chicken was fed. Was it treated with any type of hormone or antibiotic?

We are trying to eat more organically because of my MAV. We are going to the farm to table conference this weekend. You can buy into local farms for produce or buy meat directly from them. We plan to buy into the one local farm for produce. They will pack a box for us weekly of what was grown on their farm. You join for 22 weeks over the summer. They have a list of what may be in season each month so you know what to expect to be receiving. They also send several exchange boxes so if there is something in there you absolutely will not eat you can swap it out.

We also have a local butcher who slaughters cows and pigs from local farms. They do not call it organic because they are not all free range animals but they do insure that they know where it came from and that it is hormone free and hopefully antibiotice free. There are local inspectors that come in frequently. One of my neighbors is one of the farmers that provides the cows. He raises his own feed for the cows and we see how they are treated. It makes me feel a little safer knowing where it came from. We hope that this will help me.

Hope this information helps others. Check for a farm to table initiative near you. :smiley:

i sympathize tremendously with that feeling. But on balance, I find that eliminating the key triggers, especially MSG, makes a huge difference, as does eating almost nothing out of a can or jar.

You can call me silly, but i started to think lately that if i feel this way (every food is a trigger), it’s probably not the food at all. :oops:

takes special note of the freshness quotes and the fridge-warning

I wonder if it could be more of a blood sugar issue… I tend to feel better/worse before/after eating. Can’t always nail down what makes it worse or better. Sometimes it’s before eating, sometimes after. I really think it’s just my metabolism reacting to either no food in the system (before) or new food in the system (after). Almost like being hypoglycemic/hyperglycemic. Just a thought…

they say olive oil is a trigger for many people too…not quite sure what the reason is behind that one?

Watch out what chicken you buy. I looked at the packaged chicken breasts at Safeway and found that they are “enhanced with natural chicken flavors.” Accordingly, there is an ingredient list on the package that reads, “chicken, natural chicken flavors.” Don’t kid yourself: “natural flavors” of any kind are laboratory-generated flavor enhancers that operate the same as MSG. (You’ll see, for example, that so-called natural flavors are almost everywhere in processed food, but even in plain chicken breasts??!? Yikes.)

Rather than buy these franken-chicken breasts, I buy mine from Whole Foods where there is but one ingredient: namely, chicken. Perdue brand, available at Safeway, are also simply chicken with no enhancements.