Started Verapamil

Hey Folks,
Well the neurotologist officially switched me from propranolol (3 month trial - no benefits that I could see) to verapamil. Just started the verapamil yesterdary (160 mg/day). I know that several people on this forum feel like verapamil has been helpful for them. I’d be interested in hearing from anyone whose had experience (good or bad) with this drug. Was it effective? and if so how long did it take to respond and at what dosage did you see a response? Were there any side effects?

I’m a bit concerned because I’ve read that there may be an elevated risk of cancer when taking this drug. On the other hand if it proves to be effective at getting rid of the dizziness I’ll probably figure its worth the risk.

Thanks everyone.

Chaz

Hi Chaz,

I’ve been on Verapamil for about 5 months and i’m on 240mg. The only side affect was slight dizzyness…and that was it. After about a month or so i began to feel like there was less Motion and Tension inside my head but about 3 months into it the motion began to increase again so i weened down to 180 mg (one pill per day) and noticed that the Tension began to build so went back to 240mg(2 pills per day). What i can say so far is Veapamil helps with the Tension in my head…particularly on my right side. But is less effective with the Motion. Xanex helps with some of the motion. Unfortunately, the medication has not helped enough to where i can say i am cured or even close. But it has given me some improvement with pressure/tightness/tension…that sort of thing.

Joe

I was on Verapamil for about a month. Neurologist took me off it because it seemed to be causing headaches (for me, not him :roll: ) It did help me with dizziness & vertigo though & I don’t recall any other side-effects (other than the headache, I mean).

Hi Chaz,
It did lessen my migraines and slow down the vertigo (swirling) a little.
It gave me a sense of peace as well.
I titrated from 240mg a day to 320mg a day.
some people with the help of their docs can go further than that, at higher doses it can cause problems with blood pressure dropping dramatically and fast or even heart racing ect
So you have to be very careful. This means every 3 days off to the doc.
for blood pressure tests.
But if it works and hasn’t any nasty side effects then it can be a good preventative for some people.
I’m now back to 240 as I had some side effects I didn’t need “depression.” It happens rarely.
There is a post under” verapamil” if you want to read it.
If titrating do it slowly! Or the side effects can be disgusting.
it also works a bit for slowing down the neurons much like neurontin ect.
jen

Since 2005, verapamil has been by far the most effective drug treatment for me. I started it last August.

In no way I’m I in remission, but I’ve teetered on the edge of it with this drug from time to time. If a doc suggests another drug, I’m certainly open to it, but I would opine that it should be a drug that would work synergistically with verapamil because it’s been so effective.

MSDXD - What dosage are you taking? My neurologist started me on Verapamil at 120 mg once a day a few months ago. He is slow to want to increase the dosage. I need more relief, so I’m wondering how hard I should push to move up to at least 120 mg twice a day.

MSDXD,

What symptoms have improved since taking Verapamil? I have began to notice that the Tension/Tightness inside my head is less. Verapamil hasnot helped less with the Motion. Xanex appears to give me some help there.

Joe

Hi Joe some of the motion was reduced for me on the higher dose.
I find xanax great until the next day , if I dont take xanax again the motion doubles.
so I try not to take xanax unless I’m in deep strife
jen

Hi Jen,

I think you said there was a point where you were taking a higher dose of Verapamil than the 240mg daily, correct? I don’t think i’m willing to go any higher. All i know is that the Verapamil helps me with the Tenison/Tighness inside and around my head. The only trouble i have had with Xanex (if you want to call it trouble) was at the very beginning of this dizzy monster mess(1990’s)…my therapist prescribed a high dosage and i was told by friends and co-workers that i was sluring plus i would come home from work and have to take a nap every day. Glad those days are behind me. One Xanex per day (lowest dosage you can purchase…0.25mg) helps to keep my sanity). It decreases the motion and helps me feel more stationary till the next day…then it starts all over again. Even though Verapamil and Xanex are helpful…it’s still not a cure…far from it. All it takes is for me to be stressed or eat the wrong food/drink…even skip a meal and things can get ruff. Feel like a fragile guy…:frowning:

Joe

Correct Joe.
jen

— Begin quote from “MarciM”

MSDXD - What dosage are you taking? My neurologist started me on Verapamil at 120 mg once a day a few months ago. He is slow to want to increase the dosage. I need more relief, so I’m wondering how hard I should push to move up to at least 120 mg twice a day.

— End quote

Started with 120 last August. Dr. Hain moved me to 180 in November. Ultimately went to 240 in March. I was concerned that it would drop my blood pressure too much, but it didn’t move much at all.

— Begin quote from “joseph0952”

MSDXD,

What symptoms have improved since taking Verapamil? I have began to notice that the Tension/Tightness inside my head is less. Verapamil hasnot helped less with the Motion. Xanex appears to give me some help there.

Joe

— End quote

Overall reduction in tension has been pretty substantial. Reduction in disequilibrium has occurred as well, although it can flare up. Diazepam is always waiting in the wings to make sure it doesn’t get out of control.

Another major factor is Dr. Buccholz’s book.

— Begin quote from “joseph0952”

Feel like a fragile guy…:frowning:

— End quote

Hey Joe, are you in your 30’s or were you in your 30’s when this began?

Heather