Stopping OTC painkillers made no difference

Well I’ve been doing the “heal your headache” thingo since the school holidays started (mid december in Aus - they go back first week of Feb) and it’s made no difference at all.
I was already doing the diet part of the 3 steps, bar a cup of tea in the morning, which I’m now having as a very weak cup.

I did read a study that said 48% of people who stop taking daily painkillers find no difference in their symptoms - I guess I’m one of them. I was only ever taking Panadol (paracetamol) as the last time I had codeine, in 2007, I had a seizure. Aspirin-type drugs cause havoc on my stomach so I have always been limited.

So I guess I can now just try the Verapemil and if that fails to work, either I have to put up with this or my symptoms will be, as some neurologists have said , part of my MS.

Ho F@*^@ng ho ho.

jemma -

It really sucks. It’s true that very few people respond to the diet changes, but many docs recommend that you give it a try since there are no side effects to that approach. As for the OTC painkiller thing - stopping those is supposed to help rebound headache after just a few weeks, but I doubt it would help dizziness that fast. Unfortunately, dizziness seems to be a symptom that can take a lot longer to respond to any approach, medication or otherwise. I don’t think the time period of mid-December to now is really a long enough time to see if it can make a difference in the dizziness department.

Plus, tea seems to be something that straddles the food/drug category, as it contains caffeine. I love it too - David posted recently that even decaf tea has caffeine in it. I was saddened to learn that, as I LOVE the taste of tea. Our migraine brains are like the princess and the pea - if caffeine IS a trigger for you, even a weak cup is going to cause trouble. And you won’t know unless you cut it out completely. Caffeine is in Excedrin, an OTC migraine med in the US, so in a sense, you haven’t really stopped OTC painkillers yet. You may not be getting much, but that’s the problem with our brains - they’re extremely sensitive.

I like to say “I’m a delicate flower.” :roll:

Hi there,

As an experiment you could try and ELIMINATE caffeine completely. Nick Silver sites cases where someone’s migraine state was chronic from a cup of tea once a week! The tea stopped and so did the chronic state. Worth a try. No caffeine.

Cheers Scott

And how long before you can expect before it works?

I live on decaf tea (didnt realize that could be such a problem), so how about decaf coffee, has that got any caffeine in it?
I still live on my daily pieces of painkillers (tiny bits of caffeine I know but if I stop them, the dizziness builds up too much), but if I can cut it out with the drinks I will.

Christine

Hmmm…it’s so HARD isn’t it??!

I am a single mother with a teenage son, and sadly where we live there are no buses to his school, and it’s 13km away so too far to walk/ride, so I have to drive him to school. Obviously this is not good when one is having a major dizzy attack, so he’s been late a few time, thanks to mum. Luckily the school know of my MS and MAV and they make exceptions for him if I’m unwell. Anyway, I was hoping to really deal with this over the school holidays, but I guess it’s not that simple.

Does anyone know how long a low dose of Verapemil generally takes to work? Days? Weeks or longer? I’m so pathetic I’m starting on half a 40mg tablet…

And trying to figure out what to have instead of tea.Oh boy. Anyone got any good herbal suggestions?

I started with 120mg of Verapamil, then went to 160mg after a 2 days. But you can start low if you feel more comfortable taking less risk. I tried doing some strenuous activity the first day of taking Verapamil and i had a few heart palpitations. So if you start at a high dose like me, just take it easy while your body is getting used to the meds. That was my stupid mistake, but otherwise I have NO side effects. I take a an aggressive stance with MAV, so I am not as cautious as some people are.

Some people feel better within the first week if they are on a high enough dose (120mg+). But I would expect it to be a few weeks or months if you go with a slow titration schedule. Im no expert with this med, but that seems to make sense with what ive gathered.

— Begin quote from "ichbindarren"

I started with 120mg of Verapamil, then went to 160mg after a 2 days. But you can start low if you feel more comfortable taking less risk. I tried doing some strenuous activity the first day of taking Verapamil and i had a few heart palpitations. So if you start at a high dose like me, just take it easy while your body is getting used to the meds. That was my stupid mistake, but otherwise I have NO side effects. I take a an aggressive stance with MAV, so I am not as cautious as some people are.

Some people feel better within the first week if they are on a high enough dose (120mg+). But I would expect it to be a few weeks or months if you go with a slow titration schedule. Im no expert with this med, but that seems to make sense with what ive gathered.

— End quote

Has the verapemil worked for you?