Strange presentation of MAV?

Hi Everyone, I’m new here and found this forum a few days ago after getting an MAV diagnosis last month. I am a bit skeptical of the dx so wanted to share my story and hope that someone on here can relate/has had a similar experience.

It all started Oct. 2012, I had gone to dinner and was driving to church while on the phone with my husband, while driving I had a “blank out” moment. Yes blank out, not black out :smiley: Its hard to describe but for about 5 seconds my brain just wasn’t processing, I’m sure if the car in front of me would’ve slammed on the breaks I wouldn’t have reacted. After the few seconds of “blank out” passed, I couldn’t think of what to say, I was very confused and disoriented, luckily my husband was driving behind me so he directed me to church which wasn’t far. When I got out of the car I felt a bit dizzy and had a surreal kind of feeling. I remember sitting in church and looking up at the lights and back down and it making me feel like I was falling. After church I had to drive home, I lived 30 min. away and did my usual routine of calling my husband for the drive home. After a few minutes of driving I had tingling/chills all over my body, my right leg practically became dead weight, and I was having an extremely difficult time focusing. I felt weak, overwhelmed, and that’s the scariest thing that’s ever happened to me, to this day have no idea if I was having a panic attack or if that was part of my MAV.

I tried to chalk all this up to eating something I must be ridiculously allergic to since it happened after eating out. 3 weeks went by and I felt fine, there were mb 2 episodes of feeling a little off or dizzy but I tried not to think much of it. On the 3rd week I was traveling and towards the end of my trip there were times I felt like I was moving when I wasn’t and just felt kind of strange. I figured it was because I had been riding elevators and had a cold earlier that week. When I got back to town I was driving home from work and doing my usual talking on the phone (bad habit I know!). I was close to my exit and then I had that 5 second “blank out” again. The next day the hubby accidentally took my keys to work so i had to get a ride from a co-worker, but i noticed how strange everything looked when she was driving me and I felt strange and “dizzy” at work that day. The next day I had my keys back and went to do my 30 min. commute to work but something was terribly wrong. As soon as I started driving I felt like my eyes couldn’t focus, a car changing lanes in front of me would make me disoriented but looking too far ahead did too. It’s like my eyes couldn’t figure out what to look at. I also felt like I had to struggle to keep my eyes open, they felt like they wanted to shut, I felt a strange giddiness like I would pass out or fall asleep…not the kind of pass out like your scared but like my brain was slipping away into some other world and I couldn’t control it. I had strange feelings like I was falling or floating away or that my brain was riding a wave (you know that feeling when you stand on the beach and you think your moving but your not). I also had really bad brain fog…the caloric reflex test is the closest I can get to describing my brain fog. Idk about you but when they put the warm water in my ear I felt totally unfocused and wasn’t able to carry on a conversation when I had it done. Anyways I felt so visually overwhelmed and nauseated. A change in scenery like closed to open sky really messed with my head, as did scattered light coming through trees which would make me feel like I would have a seizure. There have also been times my vision completely blurrs…like a microscope totally out of focus but this only last a few seconds but would happen several times and only while driving. A few days later I had yet another episode of the tingling/chills all over my body, weakness, overwhelming feeling, and a practically useless right leg when driving home at night. The tingling stayed for a long time, maybe a month or more. Lost count and now I have a spot in the center of my back that tingles, not sure if that’s related.

Other symptoms I have/had is shaky vision, dizziness/vertigo of varying degrees, bad neck pain which has mostly resolved on it’s own but did affect my dizziness - I spent most of my time with my head on a table or supporting it with my hand. If I even dared tilt my head when driving it would really set me off. Derealization for months, sometimes I’d feel really shocked/surprised like when you miss a step, ringing in the ears, ear pain, and ear pressure, confusion when following conversations, difficulty writing (letters/words would come out all wrong),visual vertigo, aaaand, I developed really bad anxiety/depression about 2 months after this all started. Which is really strange for me bc I have no history of either and come from a family that thinks all that is make believe. Both have gotten much better. Praise God! But I’m still surprised at how physical both can be. Anyways sorry to be so long!

My main question is has anyone ever had a “blank out” moment? Or had strange experiences only when doing a certain activity such as driving? Just seems a little strange to me that both times I’ve blanked out or had a tingling/weakness/overwhelmed episode it happened while driving and I’ve only experienced blurred vision when driving. Now I hardly drive because I worry about it happening again and because it’s so visually overwhelming for me. I also don’t talk on the phone when driving anymore just in case there’s some hidden trigger there though I’m prob just paranoid. Thank you for listening and any insight would be so greatly appreciated!!

Sorry actually maybe i do mean blackout. oops! got thrown off when my doc asked if I would describe my vision as everything dimming

Hi! Sorry to hear you are dealing with all of this, so frustrating and scary! I have visual symptoms very similar to yours (started last Oct). I was driving on the freeway and all of the sudden almost passed out, I had to have my husband pick me up. I have not driven since then. However, I can tolerate being a passenger now. I also seem to have problems in big stores (may be the lighting and open spaces). Just wanted you to know that you aren’t the only one! It will get better! :slight_smile:

Bandieboz wrote:
"Other symptoms I have/had is shaky vision, dizziness/vertigo of varying degrees, bad neck pain which has mostly resolved on it’s own but did affect my dizziness - I spent most of my time with my head on a table or supporting it with my hand. If I even dared tilt my head when driving it would really set me off. Derealization for months, sometimes I’d feel really shocked/surprised like when you miss a step, ringing in the ears, ear pain, and ear pressure, confusion when following conversations, difficulty writing (letters/words would come out all wrong),visual vertigo, aaaand, I developed really bad anxiety/depression about 2 months after this all started. Which is really strange for me bc I have no history of either and come from a family that thinks all that is make believe. Both have gotten much better. Praise God! But I’m still surprised at how physical both can be. Anyways sorry to be so long! "

Bandieboz
All these symptoms are very much in line with what can happen when you have MAV plus; if you read posts on the forum you will find many other weird symptoms and many other families who find it hard to understand MAV as well. Gosh, we find it hard to understand and we are living with it so how would other people, when they see us looking so ‘normal’ be able to realise what is going on inside our heads! There are papers here on the website you could print off for them to read - it may enable them to understand that this is a real illness, that it is really difficult for you to cope with and you need their support.
I had the derealisation, weird feelings and eyes not focussing in the early days so gave up driving for six months. After being on nortriptyline I was able to drive again but had nausea/balance probs as a passenger for a long time. Topamax has fixed that for me.
It is also quite normal to develop anxiety & depression. After all, this stuff comes ‘out of the blue’ and hits us hard. Often takes a long time to get a diagnosis & meds to help so the panic sets in.
Are you following the migraine diet, lifestyle regime, taking any preventative meds? Valium is a good ‘rescue’ med for the anxiety when it becomes overwhelming.
Barb

Barb and LinndseyO thank you so much for responding! Means the world to me to hear from others. Barb, i am trying the migraine diet now though have actually tried eating a slew of “no no” foods to find a trigger that way. Yesterday was day 1 of my diet so ill see how it goes from here! Prior to my MAV i used to follow the paleo diet and workout 6 days a week, ive not been able to exercise since nov. last year but it’ve been slooowly getting better on its own so ill try incorporating some exercise back in now. I am currently on Diamox (acetazolamide), cant’t tell if its helping yet though but have been on it for a month.

Bandieboz,

I suspect you’ll find a lot of us have stories similar to yours when you start reading more posts. I started this journey when I ended up in the hospital after having to pull over when I was driving. I also went a long time driving only within a very limited area from home. Topamax has allowed me to drive a farther distance, but I still don’t go any great distances. Good luck and welcome.

Mary Lee