Studies and answers - best meds for MAV

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3105632/

This article lists the studies on drugs that have worked for MAV. I found this a really good read. Scott, I hope you havent got this already and I have repeated it, if so, scrub it, if not, it answers the questions we are always asking about which meds are best for MAV.

Christine

Full PDF here:

This is a very interesting article Christine which I hadn’t seen before. It basically confirms my understanding that no one really knows the definitive answer but there’s lots to try. I was interested to see it includes betahistine as a worthwhile drug to try for migrainous vertigo, as both otoneurologist s I’ve seen say it’s useless.

Anyway thanks for posting.
DizzyIzzy xxx :?

Hi Christine,

I don’t think I caught that one. I just realized that my PubMed alerts that I used to have set up need to be redirected to my new work email address. I have rarely checked the University account since moving jobs. Thanks for posting this. Haven’t read it yet but about to. I’ll get the PDF up here for everyone to access.

S 8)

Dizzyizzy, I have been on betahistine for around 15 years (lost count) and although it hasnt solved the problem, I certainly notice the difference when I come off it. It took time for me to notice the difference when I first started on it.

Scott, I liked the studies near to the bottom of the article, where it lists the meds or combination of drugs that have worked for this actual condition and the fact that it gives a little information to help people know which drug or combination might be the right one for them.

By the way, love the new look!

Christine

Hi Christine,

I dropped in a snapshot and moved the PDF to the mvertigo server. This is a very good article (apart from numerous spelling errors of the meds described) you found and one that should be hung on the wall with a frame. Good job!

It’s very good to see that over the years, we are getting better and more consolidated advice like this. I think we all know instinctively now that drug choice depends on personal comorbidities as outlined here. Interesting how they discuss one of the first major obstacles being acceptance of the diagnosis. Certainly seen that one – including myself. It took me nearly 2 years to “get it”.

I still have a problem with the dx of CSD as seen in a previous article. The CSD hypothesis was put together by psychologists and not neurologists.

Yes, I’ve gone all Kravitz lately! :lol:

Scott 8)

— Begin quote from “dizzyizzy”

This is a very interesting article Christine which I hadn’t seen before. It basically confirms my understanding that no one really knows the definitive answer but there’s lots to try. I was interested to see it includes betahistine as a worthwhile drug to try for migrainous vertigo, as both otoneurologist s I’ve seen say it’s useless.

Anyway thanks for posting.
DizzyIzzy xxx :?

— End quote

I was prescribed betahistine by my ENT doc. His explanation to me was that the drug acts on the vestibular system to calm it. I believe it is commonly prescribed for meniere’s. I can only assume that it works with some MAV people who perhaps have other underlying vestibular conditions :?:
Cat

Hi everyone - I joined the British Migraine Assoc. some months ago in my (desperate) search for info on the vertigo and the other diabolical symptoms I’d been getting since Nov 2010.

Had an email recently from Dr Louisa Martin at the National Hospital for Neurology & Neurosurgery, Queen Square,London. They are calling for volunteers for a study on migrainous vertigo, exploring why some people get migraines with dizziness, vertigo & imblance. They hope to help develop more rational treatments for people with this form of migraine!

In the meantime, after 3 months on nortriptyline I gradually got up to 50mg with little improvement and problems with feeling extremely hot & burning feet (middle of winter here in Adelaide Hills!). On Aug 1st I asked my neurologist for Prothiaden & switched over to 50mg. Immediately got my body temp back to normal & a much clearer head. Don’t want to increase dose yet hope my migraines & ‘wobbles’ will improve! My neurologist says if this doesn’t improve things then I’ll just have to live with it!!
However, thanks to Scott, et al I’ll just keep plugging away till I get to a better place.

Barb