Study says the inner ear is linked to brain blood flow

I was going for “directly linked”, but the title got too long for the forum. :slight_smile:
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8268336.stm

— Begin quote from ____

This revealed that the utricle and saccule, also known as the otoliths, directly affected brain blood flow regulation, independent of other factors, such as blood pressure.

Dr Serrador explained why the connection may exist: "Standing up places the head above the heart and thus makes it harder to provide blood flow to the brain.

“Having a connection between the otoliths, which tell us that we are standing, and the cerebrovasculature may be part of the adaption that allows us to maintain our brain blood flow when upright.”
…]
For example, some people who suffer from faints and dizzy spells when they stand up quickly, known as postural hypotension, could have poor brain blood flow linked to underlying inner ear problems, he said.

— End quote

I’m sure someone can find the full article if there’s interest.

Very interesting article. This may explain why for some (including me) the MAV is set off my some inner ear disturbance. Mine started with an episode of BPPV, then I had the Eply Manuever done and vestibluar rehap. It all went downhill from there. But I can remember even before the BPPV I had a really hard time lying back, especially tipping my head back to have my hair washed at the hair dresser. So according to this article, a malfunction in the inner ear canals which regulates blood flow to the brain, can restrict the blood flow to the brain, which starts the cortical spreading depression and in folks like us this presents as vertigo, feelings of movement, etc. I know I always feel better during and after aerobic exercise which will increase the blood flow to the brain. I hope they continue to do research on this, it gets more interesting all the time. Like a puzzle you just can’t solve.

This is something that I have been experiencing for about ten years now. I have to be careful when standing up otherwise I go right back down. My wife and I have theorized that this was the technical problem but never had medical documention to say the same. Now I got it. :smiley: Thanks for the info.

Interesting article Tran. I’ll dig the paper up next week. Amazing that they have only worked this out now … seems like a major function.

Scott