Suffering rotational vertigo

Hi all, after taking my Depakote dose last night about 10-20 minutes after taking it I started to get vertigo, I took 2 mg Valium to see if things would calm down but it didn’t. I layed down for a while, things settled a bit, but then when I got up I felt like I was about to pass out and everything was spinning. I ended up going to the ER because I thought I either had some weird reaction or was overdosing. I took a taxi there because my kids were all asleep, it was midnight, and I couldn’t drive. They took my blood levels and my Depakote level was 37 which apparently isn’t high, he said it was no where near therapeutic level, I’m on 500mg a night. I actually had a really good day yesterday, wasn’t really dizzy at all, had a clear head, it was literally right after I took the pill that all hell broke loose. The Valium isn’t helping the vertigo, and I feel like I’m on a boat. My husband had to take the day off today because there is no way I can care for my kids like this. I’ve been in bed most of the day. I have small children, and my husband has to go to work tomorrow. His job is very important, he works for the government and taking days off can not be done just because. I feel so awful about this whole thing. I really don’t know if I had some sort of reaction or what. I’m waiting on a call back from my doctor, I don’t want to take it and once again be suffering. I took a Frova right now, in hopes that if this is a migraine attack it would abort it. What can I do to help this vertigo? I mean dizziness is nothing compared to this crap!

ETA: I received a call back and he wants me to stop the Depakote and not be on anything for atleast 24-48 hours to see if the vertigo subsides. It was working so well :frowning:

did you have ngstamus or the illusion of actual spinning?ie your moving but dont see things moving :?:

— Begin quote from “becd”

did you have ngstamus or the illusion of actual spinning?ie your moving but dont see things moving :?:

— End quote

I had the actual illusion of spinning, last night I would lay down and felt like I was going in circles rapidly, today that has subsided when laying down but as as Im up, I feel like im on a boat. My doctor said the valium should help, so I think I will take another 2mg in a bit. I have only had vertigo once when this happened, and very mildly during and attack a few weeks ago, it was gone in a few hours, Im just so scared I will be like this tomorrow too :frowning:

thats interesting i have the illusion of spinning all day and night. My head used to spin in circles when i look down and sometimes if i dont concentrate i actually spin through the hips. I had the worst ngstamus a few months after this happened. You get use to it but i still can not deal with it. i havent acutally found anything to fix it, the valuim is only good to make you sleep it actually doesnt take the spins away. Im looking into botox as i dont think i can do more drugs at this stage. Im like you except on my on with a child so if i cant operate nothing gets done. The only thing you can do is take it easy to calm thngs down then get back into it. Walking 30 mins a day is good rehab but i find it difficult some days.

Im sorry you suffer with this all the time…I can not imagine! :frowning: My dizziness is more of a non vertigo type, however this whole thing started with Vertigo that left me dizzy. I get more “floaty” type dizziness, and could feel like my head like marbles are in it, but I have only had this type of vertigo, twice now. It is awful…and I can not function like this.

Hi Rebecca: i am so sorry you have to go through this. My vertigo attacks are infrequent thank god. My last attack was at work and I couldn’t even get up from my seat. Fortunately I work in the infusion room of an oncology practice and the docs there hooked me up with IV decadron, a very heavy duty steriod. I did 20 mg IV over 30 minutes. It helped almost immediately but I was awake for two days. This is not a long term solution, You can’t really stay on steriods. It’s been awhile since the last one but I still have dizziness and lightheadedness almost 24/7. What did the ER do for you? It seems to me that going to the ER they make you feel like it’s all in your head (pun intended). I will say that since I have stayed on the migraine diet and TRIED to avoid stress (that’s the hard one) also taking supplements, staying out of stores and taking my xanax when the dizziness is at its worst That I can at least function without everyone knowing i’m rocking. Hopefully with some bed rest and i know it’s hard for three kids, it will subside shortly. I am sending good thoughts you way! Keep us updated please. Take care,

Karen

— Begin quote from “keliza52”

Hi Rebecca: i am so sorry you have to go through this. My vertigo attacks are infrequent thank god. My last attack was at work and I couldn’t even get up from my seat. Fortunately I work in the infusion room of an oncology practice and the docs there hooked me up with IV decadron, a very heavy duty steriod. I did 20 mg IV over 30 minutes. It helped almost immediately but I was awake for two days. This is not a long term solution, You can’t really stay on steriods. It’s been awhile since the last one but I still have dizziness and lightheadedness almost 24/7. What did the ER do for you? It seems to me that going to the ER they make you feel like it’s all in your head (pun intended). I will say that since I have stayed on the migraine diet and TRIED to avoid stress (that’s the hard one) also taking supplements, staying out of stores and taking my xanax when the dizziness is at its worst That I can at least function without everyone knowing i’m rocking. Hopefully with some bed rest and i know it’s hard for three kids, it will subside shortly. I am sending good thoughts you way! Keep us updated please. Take care,

Karen

— End quote

Thank you Karen, I was also treated with prenisone about 12 weeks into this, I would say it helped some while I was at a high dose, but when I tapered down, all my symptoms returned. I never had the bad vertigo like I did today, only once when I had some sort of crash about 4 weeks ago, that was also the time I upped my Nori dose, so its strange. Then I had it this time. See both times I have been on my meds about 4 weeks…and then it seems like 4 weeks is the time frame for when my body decides to reject the meds or something. Im terrified of stopping the Depakote but I didnt take my dose tonight. The vertigo has stopped thankfully (knocks on wood) but I am still off balance and Im scared to wake up tomorrow and see what I feel like. Our bodies can really do weird things in sleep. See, when Im not on meds Im rocking, nauseous, and get mini spins(sometimes very rarely) but when Im on medicine, it helps a lot, but I can not deal with vertigo, the dizziness is hard enough but vertigo…I can not do!

Hi Rebecca…I am glad the vertigo stopped and hopefully it has subsided for now. I am up late tonight, cant sleeep, lot of stress at work and the drive to and from causes much anxiety. And I know what you mean about waking in the morning. Every morning I wake with a headache, some really bad, some bearable. But I sit up gingerly and pray I will at least be “not too dizzy or off balance” today. I have yet another appt with my neuro on the 18th I think I am ready to try another med, But since I’ve tried and failed four so far I’ll just have to see what she recommends. I do know that over the weekend I overindulged, we ate at Ruby Tuesdays with one of my granddaughters and the next mornng I paid for it with one of the worst dizzy migraines I have had in a long time. I knew better but couldn’t help myself. There has to be some enjoyment, right?! But I guess not at my heath’s expense. Well I hope tomorrow is better for you. This certainly is a frustrating and debilitating disease for us all. Keep up the good fight and take care,

Karen

HI Rebecca - So sorry to hear this. It sounds really horrible. I have yet to have a really bad spinning spell that lasts for more than a minute or 2 but unfortunately am holding my breath on that!

I hope the worst is over now for you and you are feeling better. Do you have to stay off the depakote now? What does your neuro think is the next step.

Hang in there - I know how crazy hard this is especially with little children. I have 2 and know full well the panicky feelings about not being able to take care of them, feeling guilty etc. I hope you are able to get some rest and are recuperating.

Alli