Symptoms with an increase in Effexor dosage

Over the last 3 weeks, I have increased my Effexor from 75 mg to 150 mg. Apparently I am a “slow metabolizer”. I still get 1-2 terrible headaches a day, but the wooziness, nausea and dysequilibrium have really increased. Vomiting used to be under control, but came back last night. I had started walking with a walker but after this change in dosage I don’t have the balance for that anymore, so it’s back to the wheelchair full time. It has been 7 days since I have been at 150 mg. I’m not sure if my body is just getting used to this new dose? Will these increased symptoms eventually subside? I have not had any nasty side effects from Effexor before.

Claudia

Claudia, I cant answer your question because I never made it up that far with Effexor but have you or your Dr thought about switching to Pristiq, which is a cousin of Effexor. I think Dr Hain usually chooses that rather than going higher than 75 mg of Effexor. Just a thought. I hope that it gets better for you soon! Ben

Thank you for the good wishes. I am trying not to bug Dr Hain with so many emails (he is my doctor), but I see him at the end of the month and will definitely ask about Pristiq. It’s cheaper on my health insurance plan too! So far, the plan is to add Topamax to the mix if this increased dose does not get rid of my headaches. I wouldn’t mind losing a few pounds, but the cognitive issues concern me. I am starting my Doctorate in September.

Claudia

Hmmm, doesn’t Hain use 75 mg as the highest dose? And if you’re a SLOW metabolizer, you would need a LOWER dosage than most, so him bumping it up to 150 just makes no sense at all. It might if you were a (ultra?)rapid metabolizer though.
:?

hmmm…maybe I misunderstood him. He calls me “over-the-top-complicated”, so perhaps he is doing things a bit differently. He is very open to my questions (unlike some doctors who get defensive if you ask them to explain things) so I will talk to him when I see him. I was also thinking that I would ask the office to get me in sooner if he has a cancellation. I was hoping someone here might have been in a similar situation and tell me that my symptoms are normal while my body adjusts to the new dosage.