Taking painkillers

Well I have been toying with the idea of starting the topamax when I remembered last time I took a preventative I was supposed to stop painkillers first for a certain length of time.

Is anyone else on painkillers on a daily basis?

Can someone tell me how long I have to try and keep off the painkillers before starting the topamax, has anyone started on the topamax while taking painkillers.

I live on painkillers at the moment, only in small pieces but half to three quarter of syndol (paracetamol, codeine and caffeine) every few hours and some days veganin x 2.
I know I shouldnt be on them but its the only way I can function, the dizziness gets controlled to a certain extent by the painkillers.

Thanks
Christine

Do I have to come off the painkillers first as I dont think I can, I tried today, and managed until 3 in the afternoon, when the head just got unbearable and I gave in.
Thanks
Christine

It’s usually said that a preventative won’t work until rebound is gone. I’m not sure if you can add the preventative first, and then taper off the rebound-causing drugs, but I GUESS that would work. One way or another it’s probably going to be hard, though… I’m in a similar situation myself, by the way. :frowning:

Well I usually take painkillers every day with caffeine and codeine in them, so in my wisdom I thought I would get rid of the caffeine first, so just took paracetamol and codeine when it got to 3 in the afternoon, well it got rid of it until 7 pm and now it is back with a vengeance, I supposed it will be like this just to get off the caffeine.
What a nightmare. Are you on painkillers?
Best Wishes
Christine

— Begin quote from “cmoc”

Well I usually take painkillers every day with caffeine and codeine in them, so in my wisdom I thought I would get rid of the caffeine first, so just took paracetamol and codeine when it got to 3 in the afternoon, well it got rid of it until 7 pm and now it is back with a vengeance, I supposed it will be like this just to get off the caffeine.
What a nightmare. Are you on painkillers?
Best Wishes
Christine

— End quote

You probably need to taper off the caffeine for it to not be a bad ride. I again guess that caffeine will be the easier of the three to stop, just as long as you don’t go cold turkey.
Re: myself, not sure if you count it as a painkiller, but I’m on Ibuprofen. Got stuck in rebound (taking too often → taking more often, etc). Now, my problem is not adding a drug but rather that I need to get off two of them (non-painkillers by the way). Tapering any of them seems to cause more headache which leads to, well, either not tapering or taking more ibuprofen. I just can’t take the latter option or I’m NEVER getting out of this, so I’m “almost” standing still, since a decrease in any of them makes me worse, and again I just can’t increase the ibuprofen or I’m just digging my hole deeper.

What drugs are you coming off? I have just given in and taken paracetamol, codeine and caffeine as I have a really bad migraine, will have to get off the computer soon. Got 2 appts this week so this is not a good time.
Stuff the cold turkey!!
Christine

It was a rough ride when I stopped my abortive meds but with me sticking to the diet and getting enough sleep I was able to do it.

Not fun but very worth the effort in my case.

Ugh, I know the feeling. :frowning:
I’m coming off amitriptyline (failed migraine preventative) and remeron/mirtazapine (started for anxiety way back). Both are at low doses but I’m still having trouble… I’m bad enough without the withdrawal crap added on top, so the tapering is sloooow (nonexistant right now).

Timeless, did you go cold turkey?

Tran, I was on amitryptyline years back. I slept well on them, too well! Woke with bad heads from the deep sleep!
I couldnt get up the dose though, was still drugged up in the afternoon on less than 10mg! Are you going to try another preventative?