TENSED UP ....MAV Symptoms

Hi Everyone,

I have described my symptoms in varying ways over the years but the other day i thought of another way to describe it. It’s like my head…but more noticebly…the inside of my head feels TENSED UP continuously + the on-going Bobbing wave-like Motion. For example…it would be like if your squeezing your foot on the break of your car and won’t let go. That Squeezed like feeling/sensation does not want to subside. The Tensed up sensation and Moton appear to go hand in hand. I Can’t for the sake of me can’t get my head and mind to feel Relaxed. So the Million dollar question is…is this Migraine Or Anxiety or both? I am beginning to believe maybe the Migraine and Anxiety are really feeding on one another?

Can anyone relate to these symptoms? In your opinion does it sound more like Migraine? Anxiety? Or Both? Would really like your opinion because this has been going on for way too long!

Joe

You haven’t missed this one, have you, Joe? :slight_smile:
http://mvertigo.cloudapp.net/t/migraine-anxiety-related-dizziness-mard/451

— Begin quote from ____

In plain English: migraine, vestibular and anxiety neural pathways intersect in the brain. If one is stimulated, the others are impacted.

The previously held assumption that the presence of anxiety automatically implied a ‘‘psychogenic’’ cause for dizziness is no longer valid. It is for this reason alone that this condition is misdiagnosed so often!

The additive central effects of migraine, vestibular, and anxiety related circuits on perceptions of pain, vertigo, postural instability, passive coping, visual dependence, and space and motion discomfort are subject to considerable individual variations. [No two people are alike]

— End quote

Joe -

I totally understand what you are describing. Before the MAV, when I’d have anxiety, I never felt that feeling in my head. Now since the MAV, I feel that in my head. I even described it in a similar way when I was telling my mom about it. I believe it is the MAV primarily, then anxiety along with it. I think if you didn’t have MAV, you would not have that head feeling. I feel that feeling some days more than others.

• Nance

Joe,

The problem with trying to describe symptoms is your words versus my words. To you, your wordsdescribe the way you feel based off of life experiences and are therefore accurate. My life experiences may be different so even if your words are accurate for you and I am feeling the exact same symptoms, they may not be accurate for me and I may use different words.

This time Joe, you’re description is close to what I feel inside my head. I never thought of it as tension or tightness, but that is a good description.I always thought you were talking about pressure on the outside of the skull, not the inside. Yes, if I am feeling this pressure inside my head, the motion is there, and my eyes constantly want to adjust for it, making it hard to look at things at times.

Brian

Hi Joe,

So the Million dollar question is…is this Migraine Or Anxiety or both? I am beginning to believe maybe the Migraine and Anxiety are really feeding on one another?

The paper I sent you the link to (Migraine-anxiety related dizziness or MARD) precisely describes this topic and presents the physiology behind it. There’s a diagram here showing how migraine, vestibular and anxiety intersect:

Scott 8)

Nance…i also had never felt the motion to this intensity till i came down with MAV. I have recalled in the past with some past Stressfull situations that lasted for months that i became very lightheaded and my equilribuim would be off but never the rocking…moving sensation. Your right…some days are more noticeable than others.

Brian…you really put things in perspective. That is so correct. We feel and experience things differently so how you describe something regarding your MAV and how i describe something regarding my MAV could very well be different but the same or similar.

Scott…i’m re-reading the topic you sent me…and yes…i will be taking this with me to the doctor next months. Thanks.

Thanks everyone.

Joe

— Begin quote from “scott”

Hi Joe,

So the Million dollar question is…is this Migraine Or Anxiety or both? I am beginning to believe maybe the Migraine and Anxiety are really feeding on one another?

The paper I sent you the link to (Migraine-anxiety related dizziness or MARD) precisely describes this topic and presents the physiology behind it. There’s a diagram here showing how migraine, vestibular and anxiety intersect:

Scott 8)

— End quote

An interesting read, plus one of the authors is my doctor! :slight_smile: I think the most notable part is IF you have migraine AND anxiety or just more migraine. I am starting a tricyclic antidepressant this weekend, as mine is really more migraine than anything else. I have noticed that those who use Effexor, etc are also being treated for anxiety. I am taking Klonopin as well, but that too is just to calm down my CNS system. Best, Bonnie