The Process Of Recovery

Hi all,
I’m now into week 4 of my amitriptyline. I started at 5mg and have now been on 15mg for 2 days. I’m not feeling much of an improvement yet however, although i have been walking slightly better for the past 4 days and the rocking vertigo when i’m sitting still/standing still/lying in bed is perhaps not quite as strong.
I’ve really not had any huge differences though.
I know you have to be on these drugs for atleast 12 weeks to get the main effects… but i just wondered. For those who have got back to 90-100% as i know there are many! (woo!) what was your process of recovery?
Surely is very rare to lose all symptoms immediately after starting?
What were the first symptoms to go? and do they all vanish? (Imbalance, feeling like you’re falling, rocking vertigo, constant rising and shifting vision)

Thanks for your time.
WTC
xx

I can’t really say about the process of recovery yet as I haven’t really been fully down the whole med route, but your symptoms are so similar to mine.

Have you had any spinning vertigo or has it just been this imbalanced feeling?

Hi i’m still interested to see if anyone can help me here? For those who have had success, especially with AMI - am i expecting to see a reduction in my constant imbalance when walking (feeling like the pavement moves etc) the rocking 24/7 and the visual rocking 24/7?

Ricky - sorry for such a slow reply - no, no spinning, - well a couple of times momentarily -the main time being when i had the MRI for some reason, and another time, while doing physio of balancing with one leg infront of the other with my eyes closed…really sets off the vertigo!

Nor (supposed to be pretty similar to ami) + diet certainly has had that effect for me.

— Begin quote from “david shapiro”

Nor (supposed to be pretty similar to ami) + diet certainly has had that effect for me.

— End quote

Thanks David. SO what are your symptoms now? Are you able to work?

Usually can work at my computer, except, relatively briefly, when I have a really bad spell. (Insert optional pun here on writers with bad spelling.)

Have fortunately not scheduled/attended a meeting at a bad time.

Have fortunately not scheduled/engaged in physical labor at a bad time.

I probably have held off building my electrical business back up in good part because of fear that I’ll space out or get dizzy or fuzzy-headed on a job. I know that I could simply say, “I’m not feeling well,” but I still cringe. The other piece is fatigue/weakness/reluctance to beat the shit out of my body, because I’m not about to change my business model to one where I have employees to do the grunt work. This probably has less to do with MAV than with arthritis &c.

I was on topiramate and it probably took about 4 weeks for me to feel any better, then as I increased the dosage the side effects had me housebound, so I have since withdrawn from all medication and am managing my symptoms myself.

That being said when I came off the topiramate (after about 6 months) I haven’ found the symptoms returned with their previous vigor. I can now control my illness myself where as 6 months earlier I was almost housebound.

Hope your meds work for you, take your time with it it can take a while I think

— Begin quote from “jor”

I was on topiramate and it probably took about 4 weeks for me to feel any better, then as I increased the dosage the side effects had me housebound, so I have since withdrawn from all medication and am managing my symptoms myself.

That being said when I came off the topiramate (after about 6 months) I haven’ found the symptoms returned with their previous vigor. I can now control my illness myself where as 6 months earlier I was almost housebound.

Hope your meds work for you, take your time with it it can take a while I think

— End quote

Hi Jor, i think sometimes it’s possible to go to high dosage wise for your body. My plan is to stay at 20mg of AMI for 6 weeks as side effects have been so bad whenever i increase the dose: however, i have worked through the side effects. . . Great news you can control the symptoms yourself, even that brief time on topirimate must have helped calm down the MAV loads.