The Vestibular Disorders Support Community
Read our welcome post, user support wiki & visit our member recommended products page

Tinnitus

Hi everyone,

Iv had a particularly bad patch in the last 4 days and my tinnitus has ramped up so much that I want to cut my head off.
Just when I think things can’t get any worse, something does. Just when I think this ringing can’t get any worse- wham.
Last night I noticed I could hear it above the tv and a fan. A few high pitched squeals like feedback seem to come and go above the fan, even though if the fan wasn’t on I’d hear the tinnitus constantly, mainly in the left ear but all consuming in the brain. Also I noticed if someone stood in from of the fan it really made me feel dizzy, as well as if I put my hand anywhere near my ear, I’d hear the fan as though it was right next to me- anyone know y that is?
My ear also feels. More blocked/squelchy than usual.

Last night I had 2 fans on to sleep and it wasn’t covering the high pitched noise in my ear… It also felt like my ear was extra sensitive to sound.

I had an awful sleep n I kept waking up spinning. Does anyone get that too?

Anyway, my question is really, can my tinnitus be changing? Why is it worse? I’m so so scared that it’s gonna continue to get worse until I loose my mind. :oops:

What do you find gives you relief from tinnitus?

And finally, can propranolol make it worse?

Thank you, Lou. X

Ps I really think the tinnitus is contributing to the headache and making it worse. No painkillers tho the doc told me! Bleurgh

Hi Lou!
I don’t think the propanolol will make tinnitus worse. I took it for a couple days, and I think it helped, but I definitely felt “drugged” for a couple hours after I took it. Those effects started wearing off during the day though. I work with cardiologists, and they claim to me that the small dosage of beta blocker really won’t do much to your heart rate and have a minimal effect on blood pressure. (if you were on a higher dose then they could definitley be affected) You can give the propanolol a few more days or ask for another medication. Unfortunately, I think it can take weeks for the medication to start really working.
Hang in there!
Jen

— Begin quote from "jenh21"

Hi Lou!
I don’t think the propanolol will make tinnitus worse. I took it for a couple days, and I think it helped, but I definitely felt “drugged” for a couple hours after I took it. Those effects started wearing off during the day though. I work with cardiologists, and they claim to me that the small dosage of beta blocker really won’t do much to your heart rate and have a minimal effect on blood pressure. (if you were on a higher dose then they could definitley be affected) You can give the propanolol a few more days or ask for another medication. Unfortunately, I think it can take weeks for the medication to start really working.
Hang in there!
Jen

— End quote

Jen to the rescue again, thanks ! :smiley:

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with tinnitus? I find this symptom particularly hard to endure.

Thanks

Fans are the only thing that I have ever found that works with masking the tinnitus. That was the one aspect of my old job that I just loved, all of the various fans we used to keep equipment we used from over heating. My coworkers would complain from time to time about it, but to me it was so soothing not to hear the tinnitus. My tinnitus has changed over the last couple of years, and fans don’t work all of the time now.

???

1 Like

I think they might be being over-pessimistic here:

"The tinnitus that occurs following exposure to loud noise, or as a result of ear infections, occurs when the tiny hair cells in the ear that help transmit sounds to the brain become stressed and emit excess quantities of glutamate, a chemical messenger.

This over-stimulates, and eventually kills, nerve cells in the inner ear, which normally send sound impulses up to the auditory cortex — the part of the brain that processes noise.

This leaves nerve cells in the auditory cortex in a permanently switched-on state, where they constantly relay sound to the brain, leading sufferers to ‘hear’ ringing or buzzing, for instance."

What if the inner ear was simply over-pressured, reducing the vibrations, especially the low energy vibrations at high frequency?

That would lead to under, not over-excitement and the gain would be turned up on the hair cells at high frequency, also leading to noise …

You definitely don’t lose high frequency hearing permanently if they, for example, fix your stapes or remove a load of dumbing gunk from your ear?

Well that would make a very pleasant change. Everything with Covid seems to be Doom and Gloom and overly pessimistic. If I hit upon one more worst case scenario prediction there’s a danger I will have to run screaming. That’s if with my current imbalance I could walk properly in the first place.

1 Like