Tiredness and extreme lethargy

Thank you so much
Things have gotten worse for him and his energy levels are like that of a very old persons. We saw his audiologist 2 weeks ago and he believes he has another condition called POTS, its orthostatic where your veins are too bendy and when he stands up all the blood stays below his knees, making his heart pump 4 times faster, causingā€¦ headache, extreme exhaustion and dizziness!! We have our appointment on Thursday and it canā€™t come soon enough.

Thank you so much for asking about him

1 Like

Good luck on Thursday. At least you are making progress. A correct diagnosis will be a good starting place to obtain treatment. I doubt youā€™ll find any quick fix. Betablockers and SSRiā€™s are used to treat in sometimes in adults but Iā€™ve no idea about children. Apparently you can actually improve with time so maybe as he grows thing may improve naturally. For now, Best wait and see what the consultant comes up with, Please let us know how your son gets on. Helen

1 Like

Tiredness and extreme lethargy is a huge problem for me as well. Simple slow paced walking is the only thing that has helped this symptom. Also low intensity cardio helps this symptom. 12 is too young to have this crap, hope he feels better soon. FWIW i used to have these symptoms when i was in my teens it passed quickly only to return now !

2 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry to hear heā€™s gotten worse, I obviously was hoping to hear otherwise. Iā€™m sorry for you too momma, what a cross to bear seeing him so unwell. Please keep us updated on the upcoming appointment and know we are here for you and your son!

2 Likes

@Beatit Well I am glad you are getting answers! There are meds for POTS, and wearing compression garments can help as well. The good news is many young people outgrow or recover from it. Additionally, they will probably test him for various viruses and autoimmune conditions that can cause POTS. Many times they donā€™t find a cause, but again, there is treatment. I have a ton of information at home. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. My daughter seemed to outgrow her POTS issues, but can still feel weird at times. Hot showers are bad for herā€¦ Inactivity also makes it worse, so itā€™s a vicious circle. My daughterā€™s Dr believes gluten free diet and limiting high glycolic foods to be helpful. Sugar is bad. Most Drā€™s try to encourage some level of aerobic activity, but the patient may need medication before they are able to start that. Let me know how it goes!

1 Like

Same here! Except for me it was early 20s, and lasted abt 2yrs. I was told chronic fatigue syndrome at that time. It went away fortunately, but Iā€™m having problems again now. My daughterā€™s cardio that diagnosed her POTS said that I most likely had a case of some type of dysautonomia back in my 20s, and that itā€™s extremely common for the mothers of children diagnosed with dysautonomia to have had this when they were younger. Definitely a genetic component. Why itā€™s coming back now, I donā€™t know.

1 Like

Hormones, hormones, hormones. Fluctuating hormones and more fluctuating hormones. I was extremely lucky, having had ā€˜sickā€™ (migraine?) headaches and probably abdominal migraine too until I was about twelve or so, mine quit completely until I hit menopause decades later. By timing, it was hormones and just maybe changes in the body related to hormones can affect young boys as well as girls and the young subject of this thread will at very least grow out of it until middle-age! Hope so. Helen

2 Likes

As Helen says
Hormones, hormones, hormones. Fluctuating hormones and more fluctuating hormones.
And even more hormones!!! Couldnt agree morešŸ‘
Jo

4 Likes

I have seen POTS being common as a diagnosis for some folks with migraine. Dr.Baloh says in his work when chemicals are imbalanced in the brain this happens. Puberty is very common cause and menopause and other hormone impacting body changes trigger it as well.

2 Likes

Thank you allā€¦ Sorry for the late response. I am doing much better now. Iā€™m in a less stressful job, and Iā€™ve started exercising religiously even tho it was extremely difficult at first. I find it has helped increase my energy and helped with the dysautonomia symptoms. I had to start very slowly, but it is making a big difference.

1 Like