To VRT or not to VRT?

I was very interested to see the table tennis idea, as I do play twice a week (when not in lockdown). It is very challenging (I am in a constant state of disequilibrium) but there is no doubt that I am getting better all the time. It’s a slow process as it’s been two years now and I certainly couldn’t play for the initial six months after my problems started. I haven’t gone back to playing singles competition as that is too intense - long rallies with repetitive strokes and turning the body make me too dizzy. It really is a fine line- need to constantly challenge ourselves but not overdo it.

2 Likes

That is fantastic! When my neurologist suggested it, I was keen to join a table tennis club immediately and get some coaching lessons, but I don’t think I would have been able to last for more than five minutes. Instead I bought a table tennis bat and practice by myself twice a day for 5-10 minutes. It is challenging for my eyes, but I can feel that it is good for me. It is great to hear that you are playing twice a week. It gives me hope that I can do it as well in the future.

VRT session three is this morning. I’m not sure I have the courage to tell the therapist that I didn’t do any exercises this week. My grandkids are visiting for the week, and I’m trying not to have an attack while they are here.

I’ve also got a headache coming on this morning. I’m not sure if it’s the run of the mill variety or a form of migraine.

What’s that old saying? When you’re a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail? I suspect that when yore a MAV’er, everything starts to look like a migraine.

3 Likes

Apparently, I had a small flareup today. It only lasted about 5 hours and seems to have dispersed. I am now only mildly dizzy, which is becoming normal for me.

I have been playing with my new juggling balls and the table tennis bat for a few days now. I find that I am ok while I am playing with them (the juggling balls are falling to the floor most of the time), but I can feel afterwards that my balance is off for a while. I am not sure whether this is a good or a bad sign?

If no migraine, I’d say fine.

VRT/activity is only bad if it precipitates a full on migraine.

1 Like

Or a full on vestibular attack.

1 Like

That’s not surprising. I think you’d find a VRT practitioner would say that feeling shouldn’t persist for long ie an estimated amount of minutes. You may find, as I have with Tai Chi, that short period of either increased symptoms or instigated by the activity type symptoms tends to increase day-on-day. I’m sure the VRT folk would say the reaction is good. You are ‘challenging’ your balance which a GP told me we should be doing regularly.

2 Likes

I just remembered this thread. Very informative too but Should also give you a chuckle.

Ballet Dancers’ Brains Adapt to Stop Them Feeling Dizzy

1 Like

Great thread, thank you!

I find that it takes about 10-15 minutes after my juggling/table tennis exercises before my balance gets back to normal. And no @turnitaround, it does not lead to a migraine attack, or at least it has not so far.

2 Likes

I went to VRT this morning and didn’t get much done. I was on the verge of an attack and they didn’t want to push it. So we did the stand on the marshmallow with your eyes closed and moved the popsicle stick for my eyes to follow. That was about it.

I went to the hospital after that for a scheduled CT scan and darn near passed out when I got up out of a chair. I had to sweet talk the radiology tech into letting me walk. She was insistent that I ride a wheelchair.

1 Like