Topamax Question

ok is Topamax just for solving the ‘headache’ side of migraines or does it fix the balance/disequilibrium issue??
This is a very important question for me as I am on topamax but do not have ‘headaches’, and after reading a heap of posts people say it doesn’t solve the disequilibirum/rocking etc.

your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys.

I am on it to try and settle down my rocking, vertigo, quick spins and g-force. The migraines I have honestly are the least of my worries out of all of these symptoms. I just want the 24/7 rocking feeling gone. Unfortunately, it has not helped the rocking. It has gotten rid of the daily headaches and the occasional migraines so I am continuing it. There was a person that it helped after 4 months so I am sticking it out. To be honest with you, my rocking and spins have gotten a little worse on it but I am hoping it will eventually settle down in my system and work!

Topamax can help with your non-headache symptoms, but that was not my personal experience. It did take away my daily mild headaches, but I found the side effects to be too much. I now take Zonegran, which is similar to Topamax in how it works, but often patients will experience fewer side effects with Zonegran according to my neurologist. This has been the case with me. I have been taking Zonegran for a year now. Primarily, it eliminated my daily headaches and constant head pressure, and it also gave me a little boost of energy. I suspect the energy boost may be related to the relief from the head pressure.

Hi Marci,

What were the side effects you had on Topamax that you don’t get on this one? Maybe one I could check out to eliminate the headachy garbage I have such a hassle with.

Thanks … S

— Begin quote from “scott”

Hi Marci,

What were the side effects you had on Topamax that you don’t get on this one? Maybe one I could check out to eliminate the headachy garbage I have such a hassle with.

Thanks … S

— End quote

It’s been a while, but I’m sure I can remember the worst side effects.

#1: Topamax made me dumb as a box of rocks! Some days I couldn’t do simple math in my head, and I am an accountant! On Zonegran, I still have some minor brainfog on bad days, but I don’t believe it is a side effect but rather a lingering migraine symptom.

#2: Topamax made me even more tired than I already was; Zonegran has given me a slight energy boost.

#3: Topamax magnified the tingling in my face and extremities by about 10; Zonegran hasn’t made it better or worse.

I would say they are equal in their effectiveness in ridding me of my daily headaches. I don’t recall if Topamax helped with the head pressure (bowling ball head), but Zonegran definitely eliminated it for me.

That’s all I can remember for now.

Topamax made me dumb as a box of rocks!

LOL. Not good. I’d be worried about the crazy depression I had on Topa returning. Still, you gotta give all these meds a shot.

Thanks M. S

— Begin quote from “scott”

Topamax made me dumb as a box of rocks!

LOL. Not good. I’d be worried about the crazy depression I had on Topa returning. Still, you gotta give all these meds a shot.

Thanks M. S

— End quote

Oh yeah, I forgot that one. I was very depressed on Topamax. I was so miserable between the stupidity, fatigue, and sadness that I almost took a leave from my job. Granted I was depressed before the Topamax from the whole MAV ordeal, but Topamax made it worse. I’ve had no depression with Zonegran, but remember I am also taking Zoloft.