Topamax users when did you feel better and at what dose?

I am currently taking 25 mg a day and am taking 12.5 in the morning and 12.5 at night. I just started it recently and feel a bit dizzier in the car than I usually do, which I understand may be normal when getting the med into your system. I just wonder how long it will take for the dizzies to go away so I can drive again. I can’t stand being at home alone all day by myself anymore while my husband is at work.

Donna

I would say it was at the 7-8 week mark when I was at the full 100 mg dose I started to feel better. And at about 10 weeks I noticed that I wasn’t feeling dizzy at all. You really have to give this medicine time.

It took me about 4-5 weeks to build up to 100 mg (50 at night and 50 in the morning) and then another few weeks to really notice the dzzies were completely gone.

Good luck–I hope it works for you!

Hi,

I was told to take it all at once at night. I was dizzier the first night. Then not at all. When I upped the dose I was dizzier again the first night, I went back to 25mg the NEXT nigth and it took 5 full nights to come back to normal dizzy.

There is no way I would do half and half, I dont think I could handle it. Im still on 25mg now, and dont even know Im on it.

K

Kristina, splitting the dose between the morning and evening is meant to keep the dose even in your system throughout the day. I waited to add my morning dose until the increased dizziness at night had subsided, which was about a week at 25 mg and then another few days after I jumped up to 37.5 mg.

When I added 12.5 mg in the morning I was tired during the day but didn’t experience increased dizziness like I did when I first started the med since I had already worked through that. I didn’t experience any increased side effects when I added the morning dose so it wasn’t that rough since I had gotten through the worst of them at night.

Anne,

Dr told me to not split it up, and take it all at night to ease side effects…
Im just saying what I was told, as everyone is different, and everyone is told different things.
So it helps to get all the info out. Just saying…

Very true, we are all different and get told different things, for sure. My doctor told me to split the dose! I hope you find that Topamax works well for you :slight_smile:

Well heck, maybe I should split the dose. Lol!
I dont think 25mg is doing anything. I tried going up by 12.5. Maybe I should try a smaller dose up or try in the am.

I take 50mg just at night. I had a really hard time going on this medication. It increased my symptoms and I was incredibly nauseous for weeks. I lost 25 pounds in a month. After 12 weeks I tried adding in amitriptyline which did provide some relief. A year later I attempted going off of it the topamax because I was sure it wasn’t doing anything for me. I felt even worse, so my doc proposed to continue taking it. 2.5 years later I still take 50mg nightly.
Sarah

My neurologist also has me take it all at night. I found that the severe dizzy spells (which included tunnel vision aura) stopped as soon as I started on 25 mg. The daily issues (wobbliness, head motion intolerance - not as serious as the severe spells) didn’t stop for me until I had been at 100 mg for about 3 mos.

I have been taking 12.5 in the morning and at night for about a week now and haven’t noticed any difference at all yet. I am still severely dizzy every time I ride in the car and can’t drive at all yet. I am going to ask my doctor if I can go up another 12.5 at night next week and see if that helps. I know I might have to titrate slowly up to 100 mg, but am hoping to notice a change at a lower dose.

Donna

— Begin quote from “maryalice”

My neurologist also has me take it all at night. I found that the severe dizzy spells (which included tunnel vision aura) stopped as soon as I started on 25 mg. The daily issues (wobbliness, head motion intolerance - not as serious as the severe spells) didn’t stop for me until I had been at 100 mg for about 3 mos.

— End quote

Hi maryalice,
that’s great news - so you had to be on the Topa at 100mg for a full 3 months before you noticed the daily, 24/7 ‘residual’ dizziness stop…? I have been at 100mg for 3 weeks so far, but have been on the Topamax for a year, because I tritrated so slowly (had a hard time with it initially)! I felt OK-ish at 60mg, but then went to Disneyland Paris with the family for 4 days, and after that seemed to ‘de-compensate’ - hence I’ve worked my way up to 100mg now…
Tony.

Wish I could give it more of a chance. But neurologist gave up on me, and said I just dont know whats wrong with you.
Took me off of topamax. Tapered off by 6mg first night and it was awful. Thought well, might as well go faster if its going to be like that.
Tapered off next night (last night another 6) down to 12.5,. No reaction at all.

Just dont understand this. Im so different from everyone on here. I dont have any balance issues. Feel great when walking and driving.
Feel worse when reading, first few minutes of laying down, and if I move my head a lot like when Im cleaning the house for a few hours.
No headache. Muscles tight as heck. Know I have major anxiety because I did have a headache for 104 out of 113 days. Due to a bulging disk.
Relieved by surgery. Then came back, due to surgery/tight muscles, then went away with steriods. So major anxiety from that and having
2 episodes of verigo caused by BPPV. Which went away with epley. So everyone on here says I have MAV but how… when Im so different than everyone else. Sigh…

I even went away for a few days and got off the computer and dizzy’s felt better. :slight_smile: Came home and they stayed away for about 2days then came back, because I started thinking about it again. Maybe it is just a cause of cervicogenic dizziness/CSD and anxiety…

Tony -

Yes, it took a good 3 months at 100 mg before the head motion intolerance and daily wobbliness went away. But it was worth the wait! I think the fact that you noticed something at 60 mg is a hopeful sign. Topamax is a powerful drug, so titrating slowly is a smart thing to do - you’re less likely to give up on it too soon. This migraine garbage is a powerful foe, so it takes a powerful drug to combat it. I hope you’ll be seeing the kind of results I have. Good luck!!

— Begin quote from “maryalice”

Tony -

Yes, it took a good 3 months at 100 mg before the head motion intolerance and daily wobbliness went away. But it was worth the wait! I think the fact that you noticed something at 60 mg is a hopeful sign. Topamax is a powerful drug, so titrating slowly is a smart thing to do - you’re less likely to give up on it too soon. This migraine garbage is a powerful foe, so it takes a powerful drug to combat it. I hope you’ll be seeing the kind of results I have. Good luck!!

— End quote

Thanks for the info maryalice. I had a new set of vestibular tests on Friday, so that we could get an up-to-date picture; didn’t enjoy the calorics test (as usual), but the good news is that there apperas to have been no damage caused by having MAV for the past 3.3 years! So, I’m persisting with the Topamax at 100mg - I’ve heard the same story many times now: “at least 3 months at your therapeutic dosage…”. My consultant added in Gabapentin a while ago, so I’m on 600mg of that as well, and he now wants to start increasing that over time - problem is, I’ve half a mind to just wait and see whether the Topamax itself does the job…?
Thanks again,
Tony.

It took me a bit more than 4 weeks to taper up to 100 mg per day, and I’ve been at the full 100 mg for 3 weeks now (so 7 weeks total since I started). No reduction in dizziness at all whatsoever, and the side effects have fluctuated. Right now, am stuck walking with a cane, sleeping only 4 hours per night, and have almost fainted a number of times now so can no longer go to work for the time being. Other side effects rearing their ugly head. At what point do I throw in the towel and give up on this evil drug? I have already tried amitriptyline and propranolol with no luck and really, really need to stop this awful 24/7 MAV. Accordingly, I’m reluctant to give up yet, but I’m at my wit’s end with Zombiemax!