Trimipramine

Has anyone heard of or tried Trimipramine, its similar in action but not the same as amitryptiline and nortriptyline, my friend just rang to say her friend has got rid of all her daily migraines entirely on it and has her life back.

Trimipramine is chemically similar to other TCA antidepressants such as imipramine as well as the antipsychotic levomepromazine (Nozinan).

Trimipramine’s mechanism of action differs from other TCAs. It is only a moderate reuptake inhibitor of norepinephrine, and a weak reuptake inhibitor of serotonin and dopamine. Its main effects are due to considerable receptor antagonism as follows:

Extremely strong: H1
Strong: 5-HT2, mACh, α1-adrenergic
Moderate: D2
Weak: 5-HT1, α2-adrenergic

Christine

Just read up on it at wikipedia…sounds good. I am basically getting norephinephrine, sero and dopamine activity in 2 different meds…wonder how I would do on this one? I also like the sleep componant…will def keep in mind for later date if needed.
Thanks for sharing.
Kelley

Hi Kelley,

It says that it does not suppress REM sleep and dreams are heightened, well, Amytriptiline had me dreaming all night, I slept a lot on amytriptiline but it was mostly light drugged type sleep dreaming, so I am not sure how I would do on Trimipramine. It would be an interesting experiment to find out the difference though, I may ask my GP to try some. If nothing else, could always be kept for those weeks where I go two or 3 nights on very little sleep!

Christine