Tumarkin's Otolithic Crisis

Justt curious, but I was wondering if anyone with MAV has experienced a Tumarkin’s Otolithic Crisis. The link below gives a good discription.

balance-and-dizziness.com/tumarkin.html

Personally, unmedicated, I experience these much more than anyone else that I have communicated with, any where from a few times a day to several times an hour. Medicated, just a few times a month. These are also known as drop attacks, but that is a term that I do not like because it gets confused with a meniere’s drop attack that can last several hours or longer. A Tumarkin’s Otolithic Crisis only last a moment to a few seconds at worst.

Anyway, just curious.

Yes I’ve had these - bashed my head on a desk a few times at work due to them - they are quite sudden and disorientating.

The odd thing is - in my case they seem to come roughly yearly. They will come in a cluster, and happen a few times a day for a few days, and then not come back for another year.

There’s an article on pubmed somewhere about these occuring in MAV.

Brian,

I have never had these. The closest to what you described is where i felt a magnet feeling in my head pulling me to the right or left. Other than that i cannot say i all of a sudden was pulled to the ground.

Joe

I’ve had similar experiences too. They don’t happen that often but out of the blue I can suddenly feel like my head’s falling somewhere & I can end up banging it if I’m not careful. It’s a very strange phenomenon but I believe it’s another symptom associated with the inner ear and balance, much as described earlier. I more often experience the magnet feeling Joe describes - like a pulling sensation on one side of my head.

Christina

Joe and Christina,

I used to experience something like what both of you describe except it was a hard shove to either side. Now-a-days, it’s more like a shove, or pull to the ground. Sometimes, my knees just buckle and I find myself on the ground.

I will say that I never hurt myself in any of my falls though, and I am for the most part pretty lucky.

— Begin quote from “joseph0952”

Brian,

I have never had these. The closest to what you described is where i felt a magnet feeling in my head pulling me to the right or left. Other than that i cannot say i all of a sudden was pulled to the ground.

Joe

— End quote

I used to have sudden severe bursts of vertigo, I would have a bit of a sense they were coming, a sensation behind my ear, and then a sudden burst. I never fell down, but they were horrible. Since I started on klonopin after an unremitting bout of vertigo in 2003, I’ll have unsteadiness, occasional vertigo, nausea–but none of those thunderclaps.