Unorthodox med treatment

Hi All,

As we all know symptoms can be quite severe and last what seems like forever. For me - personally - I have been on almost every medication with little long term success. Recently, I was given vicodin for neck pain for something unrelated and found some relief from my MAV symptoms. I realize I do not want to start taking narcotics for the rest of my life - but was wondering if anyone else had experienced similar success?

Thanks

Not with Vicodin, but I had a similar experience with Adderall XR, which is a stimulant medication. I was prescribed a low dose of 10mg after being diagnosed with narcolepsy. It clears up the brain fog and dampens some of my other symptoms like nothing else has. I’ve found more traditional meds like amitriptyline and zonisamide lessen my headaches and head tension, but they don’t help with brain fog like the Adderall does.

I keep my MAV in the background most of the time with small amounts of painkillers throughout the day, just a quarter of one tablet at a time. I am not saying this is the best idea but for those of us who have tried most of the preventatives (I have tried over 20) and had this condition for over 20 years, it allows me to function and at least have half a life :slight_smile:

Christine

Hmmm - get addicted to benzos or vicodin - pick your poison…

Have you tried any benzos? I was wondering if the vicodin might be acting similarly, by tamping down the anxiety. If that’s the case, I think long term a narcotic is the poison you’d want to stay away from.

Topamax - or dopamax, as many of us “affectionately” call it - is my poison, though it isn’t addicting. It merely took away orgasms at its most effective dose, so I had to back off to a less effective one. Now I just have some word-finding trouble at times (I’m not a public speaker, so it’s not a huge problem), and occasional mild dizziness (I had virtually none at all at the higher dose!). Fizzy drinks now taste icky - which is OK since they helped me gain a bunch of weight that I’ve now (mostly) lost. And it does make me constipated. Oh well! I don’t have to hold on to things to walk - I’ll TAKE that deal!

But I doubt that vicodin long term is an option! Unless you got it illegally!

I’ve found almost complete relief while on muscle relaxers. If I thought that I could take them every day without addiction or other problems, I would try talking my doctor into a long term prescription.

Brian,
Muscle relaxers, and benzos for that matter, both affect GABA. If you are low in GABA, then this might be why it’s working for you. You might consider a GABA analogue…meds that affect GABA…like Lyrica and Neurontin I believe.
Alcohol does too, so how does that make you feel?

I quit drinking years before the MAV stated up so I can’t tell you about that. I have taken Neorontin and can honestly tell you that between not being able to stay awake, and not being able to think, I can’t remember if it helped the MAV at all. I have never heard of Lyrica, so I have no idea about that.

Lyrica is the new and improved Neurontin…so judging by your experience, you might want to give that a miss.
What about Lamictal? It’s an anticonvulsant and has had some good reviews? Dr. Hain has it in his top tier of preventative meds to try?

Kelley

I’ve successfully managed my migraine without the use of medications. It was hell in the beginning with vertigo and daily dizziness and significant hearing loss and much more, but it turned around with trigger identification and making needed changes within my home and with my diet. I can’t control what goes on outside my home but being well overall from what I can do makes me stronger and more tolerant in dealing with what I can’t, and in playing the avoidance game when out and about. It’s always an issue and consideration but I am healthier now without adding chemicals into my body.

— Begin quote from “burd”

I am healthier now without adding chemicals into my body.

— End quote

What about a little bit of alcohol or the green stuff? I’m guilty as charged. :lol:

— Begin quote from “rockyksmom”

Brian,
Muscle relaxers, and benzos for that matter, both affect GABA. If you are low in GABA, then this might be why it’s working for you. You might consider a GABA analogue…meds that affect GABA…like Lyrica and Neurontin I believe.

— End quote

Is GABA related to glutamate? I think lamictal increases glutamate – is that right?

Mamabear

Mamabear,
No, they aren’t the same. They work together like a see-saw…balalancing each other out. Check out this thread. When I get a chance I’ll look into that more. I personally think there’s something in this for me…I feel sick when I eat MSG containing foods…and I think I have issued with GABA (I have alcoholism in my family) so could be a problem with Glutamate as well. Plus it is an excitatory neurotransmitter, so that could explain the anxiety.

http://bipolarblast.wordpress.com/2010/05/24/gabaglutamate-system-benzos-lamictal/

Kelley

— Begin quote from “scott”

— Begin quote from “burd”

I am healthier now without adding chemicals into my body.

— End quote

What about a little bit of alcohol or the green stuff? I’m guilty as charged. :lol:

— End quote

:lol:
Guilty too. :lol: