Update -- still feeling "different"

The subject sums it up, I think…

I still feel like I did after ~2-4 days of being on a higher Effexor level (I think it was 6.25 mg in the a.m., and 18.75 mg in the p.m. – the highest amount I ever took at one time, as I split up the dosage rather than doing the whole daily dose at once).

I still feel “rock-y” (wobbly, trippy-boat-ride-y, floating-up-and-down-y, whatever-y) including when lying down. Sometimes, in the last week or so, computer usage has begun to help once more, but not always (right now, I’m thinking of leaving the office early for the day). And, I think I’ve regained most of my visual dependence, if that’s even what it ever was.

Feel a little downright nauseous once in a while.

One more thing – I think there’s something important here, though not sure what – I still have an extremely difficult time with the head-down position (like reading a book, bending down, facing down to fold clothes or whatever, etc). Seems like such a surefire trigger – it works every time – based on head position has to mean or be indicative of SOMETHING.

More later. Perhaps.

P.S. I still don’t understand why this would be a “remnant” effect of Effexor now that I’ve been off it for at least 2.5 weeks. I know someone else here – can’t recall who it was – said it took them weeks to get rid of its effects. (Was it you, Hannah?) Scott, or anyone, is it realistic to propose that a medicine – especially at such a small dose – should be affecting someone for so long after stopping it? I tapered down slowly and everything.

Hi George,

Don’t despair, I would be willing to bet a lot it is the effexor as it corresponds with my experience. It took about a month to get rid of the vertigo after stopping it. Then a further month to get back to baseline - I was improving all the time. And yes, I felt nausea a lot initially, something I hadn’t experienced in years - it’s an effexor withdrawal symptom.

It became obvious to me that two things had probably happened. A migrainous brain has a much, much harder time with withdrawal than a non migrainous brain, so even though I had been on a tiny dose for a short time - 3 weeks - the drug didn’t agree with me in the first place and made me dizzier and then made me even dizzier coming off it. It alters your brain chemistry and it takes a while for that to adjust to what it was before and for things to calm down.

Secondly in some people SRNI’s can actually trigger migraine, I think that’s what it did to me also, I had a double whammy going on - withdrawal plus it triggered a big migraine episode. The upshot was I saw symptoms like I haven’t seen in years. The vertigo was harsh. Two and a half weeks after coming off it i was pretty desperate. It’s nine weeks on now and I would say about a week ago I felt I had got back to the baseline I was at before I took the drug.

Look at it this way - you weren’t taking effexor and u didn’t have crazy rocking etc… You take the effexor and soon after it starts. It’s a bit of a no brainer to me. Although much easier to see when you aren’t living it but are outside it. Migrainous brains are hugely sensitive and you’ve just hit yours with something it didn’t like. Hang in there, it will go, sounds like you are already seeing tiny improvements, that’s how it went with me.

H

Hi George,

It’s interesting (and unfortunate) that you have basically experienced the same sort of lingering junk after using Effexor as Hannah did. Have you ever used an antidepressant med before or an SNRI? I’m trying to work out if this is something that appears to be directly related to Effexor, SNRIs or antidepressants in general. The good news is that Hannah has seen most of the misery of the Effexor trial wear off and you will too. These drug trial really stink.

Hang in there … Scott :slight_smile:

What’s irking me right now (and confusing me) is that I’ve had a particularly worse time since this last Tuesday or Wednesday. If I felt like, um, (choice word) before, in the last four days I’ve felt like (really choice word) — even lying still or gentle walking, etc., are now magnified to “super-dizzy.” I’ve been off Effexor for, what, 2 or 2.5 weeks or so now?

I actually feel unsteady lately – I’m not off-balance because I’ve tried balance tests – but my head feels more wobbly / floaty than before.

I have used an antidepressant before, in mid-'07 to early '08. It was Zoloft. Getting on it was tough for a couple of days but getting off it when I decided I no longer needed it was no trouble, and no side effects while on it. (That wasn’t being used for MAV.)

I wonder if the fact that Effexor affects norepinephrine (in addition to serotonin) is what’s different. It seems as though for most people, SNRI’s tend to work while SSRI’s don’t, yet the SNRI’s also seem to have a higher side-effect rate. Maybe some people need a bump in one of those two chemicals but not both (or restated, maybe increasing both is unwise / detrimental for some people).

OK, well, off to go shoot myself.
(nothing happens)
Good thing my finger wasn’t loaded.

Fine, then, I’ll just lie down and stew about it all instead in a grumpy sort of way.

Hi there,
I just wanted to make a comment about the use of Effexor as an SNRI. Actually, at low doses such as those used for MAV treatment, the main neurotransmitter that is affected is serotonin. From what I have learned, the SNRI norepi effects are much more dramatic at the higher doses. But, then again, this is all theoretical but I just thought I would share.
Hope you feel better soon:-)
Lisa

Hey George,

If you look up my threads you should find the one I wrote coming off effexor. I made various entries. I was really ill. It should make you feel better to know that I am back to my usual self now. I am actually having a bad time at the moment - well for the last four days - bit of a relapse - however it is pretty much the same as the relapses I got before effexor, which happened intermittently. Namely I am back to what I used to be like before the drug messed me up.

You honestly will feel better - that stuff made me feel dreadful in the way you describe, suddenly any motion was awful, walking around was a problem - it was truly horrible, but it went for me and it will go for you, I feel sure of it.

H