Venlafaxine 75mg withdrawal

One for @nin I suspect. Interesting too. My own doctor would never dream of offering Venlafaxine for VM - around me, none of them rate it - but it’s her favourite to stop night sweats.

Timely tag Helen, I was back with my neurologist this morning and we had a chat about the sweating.

@maddy, so I too experience sweating on the meds but my hormones are at play also. I’m in my late 40s so inching my way to menopause. Not only do I get night sweats but I also sweat upon exertion eg after a walk, lot of hoovering etc… He told me it was the venlafaxine, whilst it can cure sweats it can cause them too. I also think my beta blocker plays a role too.

I’ve got to stay on venlafaxine and I’ll live with the sweats, I’ve gotten use to changing my pj’s at night. It helps me so worth the trade-off.

Hope you’re feeling better today

1 Like

Venlafaxine (Effexor), Hot flushes, and MAV

Maybe the Propranolol has an influence too. It’s another drug I’ve seen advocated to
control hot flushes so like Venlafaxine and no doubt multitudes of other drugs seems if they can control it, they too can cause it.

Obviously got no idea of your MAV history but these are known menopausal symptoms. When it comes to the night sweats and might apply to @nin too what time do you experience them? Apparently if it’s between 2am and 4am it’s most likely they are caused by a cortisol surge. This is according to the School of Applied Functional Medicine. Not me. This is where the ‘Dutch’ test comes in referred to elsewhere on this site.

I got off venlafaxine and the nightmares went away. The sweating didn’t. My physical therapist asked yesterday why I’m either burning or freezing. I told her it’s a fight between my PCOS menopausal chemistry (:fire:) and my messed up neurochemistry (:snowflake:).

hi all, I have not been here for a while. Sorry I am late in the conversation. @Maddy I tapered over 4 months, very slowly. The last month I was taking half the capsule (I bought empty capsules and a scale) for two weeks, and then remove a bead per day until I actually got sick with something else (a virus), so had fever and chills etc so I decided to cut it then, cause I was miserable anyway. After I stopped, I still had anger bursts, like I could not control getting mad for stupid things, and was jittery for like a month. I took the supplement GABA for that.
One of the reasons I stopped were the sweats, and the other the gain weight. The sweats stopped, the weight has taking a while to lose, but I am getting there. MVA is Ok, not great, still got daily symptoms but I am used to them, but no meds.

1 Like

And my Doctor’s answer to flushes and night sweats is still Venlafaxine although I’ve read on line most? Antidepressants should work. Now reading Magnesium will.

I run mostly cold these days but I’ve no clue where I am in menopause. Once you have a hysterectomy the annual gynecologist appointment seems a bit superfluous. I’m still pretty good at randomly overheating, especially at night. I start frozen and shivering and end up sweating and throwing off covers. Venlafaxine isn’t worth the suicidal planning. I get where you’re coming from @dizzy3.

1 Like