Vertigo

I thought I would start a thread up to see if we could come up with some terminology for the vertigo we experience. Some of us do experience true vertigo wich involves spinning. Some of us describe it as a rocking/swaying senstation, some of us say both.

For me, I definitely experience a false sensation of motion, but it isn’t spinning. The room will rock back and forth as I walk, or tilt while standing still. At times, I will feel the room “slide” to the side. Other times, I will feel something similar to a shove and go flying across the room, trying to catch myself.

So, what does everyone think is a good terminology for a false sensation of motion that doesn’t involve spinning?

Brian

— Begin quote from “Brian B”

So, what does everyone think is a good terminology for a false sensation of motion that doesn’t involve spinning?

— End quote

Insanity in the making?
Ummm too late, I think I am already there. :smiley:

That’s pretty wild there Brian, feeling like you are being pushed across the room.
I can identify with you regarding the room rocking back and forth.
I have some of that tonight and my mood got shot straight to hell.
But I’m watching Super Bowl XIII from 1979 (Steelers-Cowboys) on the NFL Network to feel better. GO STEELERS! :mrgreen:

Heather

— Begin quote from “Heather”

But I’m watching Super Bowl XIII from 1979 (Steelers-Cowboys) on the NFL Network to feel better. GO STEELERS!

— End quote

I am a HUGE Steelers fan! I became a fan when I was a kid right around the time of that game you’re watching! The Steelers are playing the Cowboys again this weekend as a matter of fact. GO STEELERS!

(Sorry to be off topic, Brian)

Hi Brian,
I have the pushing and pulling,

Never ending softly falling backwards.
It used to be falling forwards but changed recently.

My legs often feel as if they have been whipped out from underneath me.
The floor physically feels as if it is undulating after a migraine, and almost as if it has potholes in it, My knee’s tend to buckle when that happens, I’m sure I’ll need a hip and knee replacement one day.

Have you ever stood in the small strong waves of the ocean, just standing there, trying to sink you feet into the sand to anchor yourself?
And the waves are whipping at your legs, and your trying too keep you’re balance, then you will understand what I have daily.

If I don’t watch where I walk, I will walk into things, as my spatial dimensions are off completely.
In the dark, I have NO way of knowing which way is up!
I could be hanging by my feet for all I know,
Except for the feeling of my feet touching the floor.

I have sensory overload, talking to more than one person in a room, makes me feel out of it, the turning of my head to respond to people, does me in.

I don’t spin, I rock like on a boat sitting in a windy harbor.
If I were to pivot in a circle, there would be no stopping the turn, until I fall.

The furniture in my home slowly undulates, shakes, lines are not straight on anything, and picture’s furniture slowly rotates.

jen

There is more than one type that I get. There is what I call the full blown vertigo attack, where it feels as though you have just got off a fast spinning roundabout, when I am like this I cannot get off the bed or move my head, if I try to lay down the room spins until I stay in one position then it eases off as long as I keep perfectly still. I have to stay like that for hours, sometimes a day, before it subsides.

On a daily basis, I normally have a background headache, sometimes no headache, and I can feel dizzy bending over to read a book or write something, cant really do much when I am like that and if someone talks to me and their head is bobbing around, I feel nauseous, being on the computer can make me fall sideways when I come off.

Then there are the room shifts, where there is short but very strong vertigo, lasting a few seconds then gone.

Then the dizziness that comes with reactive hypoglycemia which goes when I eat.

Nice to have variety in life!
Best Wishes
Christine

Brian thanks for starting this topic . I think we can all learn from what the varying definitions are concerning Vertigo.

My husband told me recently that what his definition of vertigo, dizziness do not match mine and maybe the doctors do not understand exactly what I mean when I say that either as it is not classic “vertigo” I am experiencing.

Mine consist of what I refer to as a constant wave like or pulsating motion inside my head. It is always there some days worse than others. The bad days make it very hard to concentrate and very hard to do a lot of moving around because that tends to make it worse. And I am always afraid it is going into a full attack when I have really bad days.

However, sometimes driving makes it better as that motion seems to equalize it and make it tolerable. How strange is that.

I have what I consider spacial disorientation if I have a bad attack where everything seems to be moving in slow motion and I am unable to control any or all of what is going on with my surroundings which when coupled with anxiety that comes with these attacks seems to send me into a real tail spin. I have not had one in a few months now…but they are no fun.

I think the most difficult part for me as that looking at me from the outside you would know nothing was wrong it is what is going on inside my brain , I guess that cause the symptoms and people who do not or have not experienced this have no idea that anything could be wrong.

To me vertigo is when the room is spinning wildly out of control and I am unable to move. Most of my attacks have happened in the very early morning hours upon wakening. I’ve been able to get up and stagger to get some antivert or valium (now I keep it next to my bed) but once back in bed I can’t get back up nor can I even move my head a milimeter without feeling worse. With the one attack I had that wasn’t in the middle night hours I had a minute or two before I went into a full spin where the room was tilting and I was staggering. It was a horrible feeling, I wasn’t sure if a full one was coming or not so I sat down on the floor. Within a minute or two the full spin was there. :evil: The middle night attacks that I have had in which I have had the meds next to me so I don’t have to get out of bed haven’t been as bad as the ones in which I do get out of bed. Maybe because I lie perfectly still and don’t make any movements at all until I am sure I am going to be okay.

I still don’t understand exactly what the word “dizzy” means. Until I started getting vertigo I thought dizzy and vertigo were the same. Then the ER doctor started questioning me as to am I dizzy or do I have vertigo?

Carsick is where I have a terrible feeling in my head like I am going to be sick from having a lot of motion. Hard to describe this one. Maybe it is the same as dizzy?? I don’t know. It’s just a sick headachy feeling, but not sick to my stomach though I feeel like I am going to vomit. The sick feeling comes from inside my head. I have this feeling on a daily basis and it comes on by any kind of movement - either from me or from others.

Oh yeah, then there are the mini-spins, these last less than a second. Feels like my head is actually moving. I have to stop whatever I am doing and hold - scared it means the big one is coming.

Thanks for all of the comments. I will say that what everyone described here I experience minus the spinning. I forgot to include the falling backwards sensations. I try to forget that one as it is the worse one on my stomach.

The thing is though is that none of us, myself included, have suggested a term for the false sensations of motion that we have all described. Can’t call it “vertigo” when talking to the docs as they automatically asume you are talking about spinning. :roll:

I think that about all that we can call it is “false sensations of motion,” but I was hoping for something a little shorter. :frowning:

— Begin quote from “cmoc”

There is more than one type that I get. There is what I call the full blown vertigo attack, where it feels as though you have just got off a fast spinning roundabout, when I am like this I cannot get off the bed or move my head, if I try to lay down the room spins until I stay in one position then it eases off as long as I keep perfectly still. I have to stay like that for hours, sometimes a day, before it subsides.

On a daily basis, I normally have a background headache, sometimes no headache, and I can feel dizzy bending over to read a book or write something, cant really do much when I am like that and if someone talks to me and their head is bobbing around, I feel nauseous, being on the computer can make me fall sideways when I come off.

Then there are the room shifts, where there is short but very strong vertigo, lasting a few seconds then gone.

Then the dizziness that comes with reactive hypoglycemia which goes when I eat.

Nice to have variety in life!
Best Wishes
Christine

— End quote

Sorry to be lazy - I feel like I’m cheating on a test. :mrgreen: But Christine’s description pretty much describes my vertigo and other “false sensations of motion” except for the falling sideways when coming off the computer. Also, I get a sense that I’m in a fun house with an uneven floor (it appears to go up and down like a wave) when I’m walking down a long hallway. Sorry, Brian. I can’t think of a another term to use for the multitude of other sensations we feel. There is such a variety. I’ll keep thinking on it though.

As for myself, I get the feeling of just coming off a bad carnival ride that won’t stop, even though I don’t see the spinning I feel the spinning, It doen’t make me dizzy, but it will sure wear me out mentally and physically. Most people can not tell by looking at me that anything is wrong unless I start to get a headache or migraine with it, except my wife, and she can tell just looking at my eyes what kind of day I’m having.

After being off work for about seven weeks and my new meds I’ve been feeling better, but I wonder what is going to happen when I go back to work, because it’s like I can feel thia monster lurking in the back ground waiting to start pushing the merry-go-round again if given the chance.

— Begin quote from “MarciM”

I am a HUGE Steelers fan! I became a fan when I was a kid right around the time of that game you’re watching! The Steelers are playing the Cowboys again this weekend as a matter of fact. GO STEELERS!

— End quote

Marci,

Are you from Pittsburgh, or did you just like the Steelers back then?
I’m in PIttsburgh now, grew up here in the 70’s.
When the Steelers won all those Super Bowls in the 70’s, this city was insane.
You could open your front door, and hear people screaming at the top of their lungs after winning .
When the Steelers won the Super Bowl a couple years ago, I was stuck in Chicago. I was screaming so loudly
when we won, I figured someone would call the front desk of our building and complain. Lol.
That was the night I had my last martini. I finally figured out I had really bad reactive hypoglycemia, rather than just geting drunk easily.
I wasn’t drunk, I had low blood sugar and would almost fall off my bar stool.
So I fondly associate the Steelers winning the Super Bowl with my last Martini.

Going to be a great game tomorrow! The Steelers have a really tough schedule over the next few weeks.
Did you catch the Steelers-Patriots game last weekend? WILD! :smiley:

Heather

Heather,

I live in Washington state now, so you can imagine all the whining I heard from the Seahawks fans after the last Steelers Super Bowl win. I grew up in New Philadelphia, Ohio, which isn’t very far from Pittsburg. My brother was a huge Steelers fan and turned me into one too. I read an article the other day where they were comparing the Steelers current defense to the Iron Curtain of the 70’s with Mean Joe Green!

I was very ticked off last weekend because our local paper showed the Steelers-Patriots game would be shown, but Comcast decided to show the Jets-Broncos game here instead. I’m leaving Comcast! (Not really because of this, but I’m pretending that’s the reason! :mrgreen: )

I hate the Cowboys, so I’m hoping for a big win tomorrow. I’m sure it will be a tough game as will the two that follow against the Ravens and the Titans.

Marci

I’m so happy to find another gal who’s into pro football. Yay!
I was never into Barbie and Ken.
Yep the current defense, rocks.
I love watching Troy Palamalu. I call him the human torpedo.
What a bummer you missed last weeks game. The number of turnovers was shocking,
and the Steelers just kept scoring. It was hysterical.

By the way, what is UP with Matt Hasselbeck’s Kojak immitation? :lol:

Heather

My vertigo used to start as a short whooshing motion/sensation, followed about 30 seconds later by a very violent shifting of everything around me from left to right left to right left to right. I could never walk during a vertigo attack, barely even talk. Usually would get nystagmus(sp) during the attack. The whole thing would last about 5 minutes, then leave me feeling extremely nauseous (usually end up vomiting), drained & worn out. Strangely enough, if I had one vertigo attack, the rest of the day I’d be vertigo-free. Not sure why it happened that way … George just lucky I guess.

Dizzy as I associate it with MAV can be maybe a couple different things … the walking-on-a-water-bed dizzy where you feel like you’re sort of floating & unstable is the most common for me. Have to concentrate to walk halfway straight & then still run into walls or people.

When I was about 12 or 13 years old, I had a science class that was in the basement of my school. No windows. Out of the blue one day, I felt the entire room just “tilt”. It was very scary, but I always blamed it on the fact there were no windows. It happened many times, and I remember telling my Mom, and she just said “you worry too much, stop stressing”. I had the most awful time going to that class everyday, but I made it through. (I think Brian is the only one I’ve ever heard describe “room tilting” - Thanks Brian).
In my 20’s, I was diagnosed with “Panic Attacks”. I was actually having depersonalization and derealization episodes, and I had the hardest time trying to describe them to doctors. The only way I could describe them were "dizzy spells, where things sound funny and feel funny. My own voice sounded strange to me, it felt like I was in a bubble. I was given propanolol for a heart murmer which was supposedly causing me panic attacks. I got through that also, and the spells disappeared.

Shortly after the birth of my daughter, I had my first aura. Ended up in the E.R., thought I was having a stroke and going blind. They didn’t know what was wrong with me, but the ER doc did mention it could be migraines. I went a couple of years before having another one, and then within months of the second one, I had my “crash”. Total room spinning dizziness. Couldn’t walk without hanging onto walls. I think I’ve had every kind of dizziness described at some point or another. I’ve had room spinning (fast and slow)that doesn’t want to stop, I’ve had the real fast quick spins - over in 2 -3 seconds (the kind where you lose your breath and say “Oh Jesus Christ” as I’m grabbing onto anything in my reach), I’ve had the floor bouncing (feels like your walking on marshmallows), and I’ve had the fast free-falls when lying in bed.

I’ve been asked a million times - does it feel like you are moving, or does it feel like the room is moving around you??? I truly don’t know - I don’t know why that is so hard for me to try to answer. It feels different everytime I experience it.

Brian - good question. False sensation of motion is probably the most accurate way to describe alot of what most of us feel. Vertigo is easy to describe for sure, but all of the other stuff is not. Absolutely not.
When somebody figures out a better term - I can’t wait to hear it ! :mrgreen:

:lol:

— Begin quote from “Heather”

I’m so happy to find another gal who’s into pro football. Yay!
I was never into Barbie and Ken.
Yep the current defense, rocks.
I love watching Troy Palamalu. I call him the human torpedo.
What a bummer you missed last weeks game. The number of turnovers was shocking,
and the Steelers just kept scoring. It was hysterical.

By the way, what is UP with Matt Hasselbeck’s Kojak immitation? :lol:

Heather

— End quote

I don’t know what’s up with Hasselbeck’s hair, or lack there of; maybe he’s taking Topamax. :mrgreen:

This is such an interesting site! I did not know there were so many people who shared this horrible experience with me, chronically. My vertigo has been like Christine’s for the majority of the time throughout the years - total spinning so you cannot see anything but that and then you are sick to your stomach , get mild headaches with a fuzzy headed feeling that lasts for days. But, I have also had the rocking "boat " sensation from sided to side, quick sand at your feet, and falling off balance to one side. I guess I have had it all. However, I do not know which is related to my vestibular loss (ototoxicity) and which is simply MAV. I could probably guess based on timing.

Now the original posting suggested that we classify these into different types of vertigo. From my standpoint, they could be related to vestibular function (imbalance) and MAV. In other words, that rocking sensation or falling to the side could fall under the balance system category and the full blown spinning would be MAV. What do you think?

Karen