Vestibular Decompensation

Is it possible to decompensate from laying down for 4 days straight and probably more than that from being in a hospital + being sick and getting a relapse/medical issue? Just trying to put things together why this relapse is taking so long to get better :confused:

I heard a normal person can decompensate from being bed ridden/not active, but probably bounce back faster than us

1 Like

Well it’s certainly not going to help.

Bear in mind relapses can last for over 2 weeks, so if your symptoms have increased and have not yet calmed down, that’s normal, especially if it’s within 2 weeks from an attack. You will get back to baseline though.

Unless you are really suffering badly from a migraine, you must must MUST get out of the house for a walk. DAILY!

Lying in bed day in day out is just asking this condition to consume you. Don’t let it!

2 Likes

IMO one would need to have been totally stable/recovered for a good time and have truly an established baseline to be able to ‘decompensate’ in the first place otherwise a worsening of symptoms is just that. Anybody stuck in bed for any length of time will decondition. Have you never had the flu, stayed in bed a couple of days and found your jelly legs won’t hold you up when you next get out of bed? Search the site for ‘deconditioning’. More info It can happen quite quickly as a result of illness and bring bedridden. Apparently just being in nightclothes all day in hospital can make deconditioning worse which is one reason they like people up and dressed soonest. I am certain people with vestibular problems like us would suffer a greater degree of deconditioning than people without such problems. The body is designed to move. Much a case of practice makes perfect and lying in bed we aren’t stimulating our balance systems as we do when mobile. Bound to have bigger effect.

1 Like

That’s true and I go to work daily even though it was mainly sitting for a month on the computer virtually. Which I’m guessing might be hindering something. It’s definitely not helping my symptoms. But it’s been almost 3 months now and I’m still daily dizzy so I’m hoping soon I get some relief. I am seeing the Dr. next month and I will see the next options, but last time I spoke to her 2 weeks ago, she said I could start VRT if I wanted to but had to be so careful because I could do too much and ruin things all over again.

2 Likes

So you’re saying the fact I decompensate so much means my brain was compensated before this?

I don’t think VRT can ruin things. It can definitely precipitate a migraine and ruin the following fortnight though!

Maybe that’s what I need because I was like 95% and now I went up on my medication, started supplements, diet (kind of) and I’m not sure what else to do to get back to baseline

I can’t talk about it as decompensated because I don’t know if that was the case. Presumably if you were totally fine before your illness on preventatives your condition was stable/under good control. If you were totally fine without preventatives then presumably your brain was able to stabilise your condition unassisted so presumably it had totally compensated. Whether the reoccurrence following your illness was a relapse or decompensation as a result of a relapse I very much doubt anybody can know for sure.

I suspect what you are actually asking is is it possible to get back to where you were before or as you think of it ‘compensate’ a subsequent time. No reason why not. It’s happened once. No reason it shouldn’t happen again. Main thing is the brain can only compensate to a stable condition. That’s what the experts tell us and it makes sense.

1 Like

Can the brain compensate and then relapse and then get better again? Does it ever forget?

I suspect it’s constantly tuning. That’s why most people don’t lost their balance as they age (until very late in years when physiology changes faster than the brain can keep pace with). No it’s not forgetting, it’s just that something is changing faster than it can adapt to, I suspect.

I just find it strange how I could go from fine to not being able to walk in 4 days :flushed:

Oh well I don’t. I have got into bed and slept well many times only to wake up next morning so dizzy I couldn’t stand unaided yet alone walk and then stayed that way for more than a week. And it didn’t follow a spell in hospital ever.

Why does that happen

I don’t think anyone knows for sure. If they did we might have had a cure by now. Theory is something overstimulated the vestibular system so it can no longer cope. Some say it’s the brain being overworked. Because things aren’t functioning properly too much of its energy is used on other functions and there’s no sufficient spare capacity for it to continue to keep us upright. Lots of theories. No definite truth so far. So not much point wondering why really. Just take it as history and work on trying to regain some quality of life. Doctors have a neat little slogan worth noting. They keep saying ‘We are where we are’. Can be frustrating but very true. Look forwards, not back. You cannot change the past.

Random question I just thought of tonight. If i was doing so well on my preventatives, is it normal this happened even while I was on preventatives and is daily/chronic for 3 months now? Has anyone relapsed while on preventatives?

Yes but not as bad as not being on preventatives

What do you mean

You will relapse even on meds but the bounce back to baseline will be quicker on meds.

When i was unmedicated a relapse took me down for weeks. Now I bounce back in a day or two .

Same here. Makes me scared to come off my preventatives anytime soon…

1 Like

That why I’m confused why I’m having a problem for 3 months now :pensive: