"Vestibular Migraine" not an "official" Migraine

I was recently on another Migraine Website, when I came across their “Expert” commenting that Vestibular Migraine is not an official Migraine. Whether you call it Vestibular Mgraine, MAV, or whatever I think we can all agree that it is pretty real. Scott, maybe you can educate this “Expert” with the mountain of evidence and reseach you have done. The Website is helpforheadaches.com and the post is under the general discussion of the forum.

Thanks,
Steve

It’s real alright, but I don’t think (last I checked) it’s officially recognized by the International Headache Society (IHS) yet.

“Real” and “official” are two entirely different terms.

Oh, Perhaps I jumped the gun. I just felt like venting because I’ve had a bad week. Maybe I got off the Nort too fast. I wasn’t trying to discredit the expert because she seems to know what she was talking about, but I was supprised when she called our condition Basilar Migraine. Why don’t we use that term instead if that is the “official” term recognized.

Hi Steve,

I’ll check out the site but Tranquility is correct. Nobody can quite yet decide how to define MAV in the science literature and it has not been officially recognised by the IHS which seems ridiculous but defining something like MAV is not easy, and requires lots of clinical work. Robert Baloh said something along the lines that nobody has the time and resources to get the job done. It’s just not on the radar like breast cancer or cardiovascular disease and doesn’t get the funding.

Scott

Not so surprising coming from the International Headache Society.