Vestibular migraine, palpitations, botox

I wanted to share a link to a cse study of how dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system during migraine can cause palpitations, but we canā€™t add links in posts??

Anyway, there is also some great videos on YouTube by a cardiologist called sanjod gupta about ectopic beats - what causes them, why they feel like they do, and that they are harmless. He explains that ectopics are caused by the autonomic nervous system, so when it is affected by stimuli like caffeine or anxiety, it triggers ectopics. He doesnā€™t mention migraine but itā€™s well known that migraines affect the autonomic nervous system which causes symptoms such as flushing, teary eyes, nausea, diarrhea etc. So it makes perfect sense that migraines can cause palpitations like ectopics. Those youtube videos also say that not everyone feels ectopics, they can see them on an ECG but not feel them in their chest, yet other people feel them. This is because some people have a more sensitive nervous system, caused by things like anxiety. During a migraine, our nervous system is hyper sensitive, which could be why some people feel palpitations. Basically - migraine causes palpitations because of its effect on the nervous system. Why on earth doctors donā€™t know this, or accept this, i donā€™t understandā€¦

Thatā€™s probably all to do with site security. You should find once youā€™ve been a member of a while you get granted additional privileges which will mean you are able to add in links. @turnitaround is Forum Leader. Heā€™ll explain. Helen

1 Like

Sure you can add links to posts (youā€™ve seen them all over the site, havenā€™t you?), but as @Onandon03 eludes to, this is sometimes contrained by your Trust Level (which increases as you spend time using the features of the site). However, I notice you are Trust Level 1 now and at that level you are allowed to post links. Did you get any kind of error? What did you do, just cut and paste the link into the editor? (ā€˜Composerā€™) That should work.

Ah ok that explains it.

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s an anti spamming measure. Please try again with your enhanced privileges and let me know if you have any problems.

You really have been through the mill with this condition. If you donā€™t mind me asking, and I ask because our journey has many similarities, what were you diagnosed with initially. I was twelve years misdiagnosed as BPPV, and untreated myself and we are both in UK and Iā€™m appalled at doctors lack of recognition of this condition. Although we cannot change the past itā€™s so frustrating to think, despite what Iā€™ve since read to the contrary, that had our condition been picked up sooner, it would have been easier to treat when episodic rather than chronic. Helen

1 Like

I was misdiagnosed with eustachian tube dysfunction and congestion. Told it could take months to go and there was nothing could be done. I was told that repeatedly for years every time i had a flare up. Its never been episodic for me, but i was given decongestant sprays to take for 6 months, which are actually migraine triggers so that didnā€™t help. When i saw a different doctor she said to me ā€œi wouldnā€™t have had you take that for more than a few weeks.ā€ she would have told me to return when my symptoms didnā€™t improve in a matter of weeks, not wait months on end. I felt like the gp I saw didnā€™t take me seriously and fobbed me off. The other gp didnā€™t know what was wrong with me but she sent me straight to an audiologist, and when i suggested it could be vestibular migraine (i had to tell her and she googled it) she sent me to a neurologist. She was very thorough examining me and asking how much it affected my life. Thr other gp barely bothered except to look in my ears. As far as he was concerned, ear pressure, dizziness and head pressure was congestion and i had to wait it out. They arenā€™t educated enough about migraines (they think they are just one sided head pain) and certainly donā€™t take dizziness seriously. I should have returned to the gp and insisted more, but i trusted he was correct and since i was repeatedly told on 5 different occasions over the years that it was congestion and nothing could be done, i gave up going to the gp because it was just wasting time.

I wonder if i had been diagnosed earlier, if i would have been treated easier. Or if the decongestants have contributed to me being stuck like this for so long.

1 Like

Oh, different misdiagnosis but much the same as me. I was told BPPV ā€˜and ā€˜thereā€™s nothing we can do about thatā€™, and I believed them and went away. If I ever mentioned it again the response would be do you need more Buccastem tablets, Run Out? Trouble is, untreated, I found it gradually just got worse and worse. I think it does that. Doubt decongestants caused that for you. Iā€™d reckon just natural progression of the condition. The trouble gets doubly worse once it affects oneā€™s ability to be active and then it tends to be a downward spiral because eventually psychological factors kick in. As you say doctors prove woefully inproficient with recognition of the condition which hinders any moves towards a solution. Helen

1 Like

OMG I GOT ECTOPOCS WITH VM TOO!!! are.yours better???

Gpd to know iā€™m not the only pne. Mine come and go in varying patterns depending on my dizziness. Theyā€™re caused by your nervous system being sensitised because of mav.

Do you take magnesium and does it help

No i donā€™t take it. I tried riboflavin but it upset my stomach so i havenā€™t wanted to try any other supplements. You can get a blood test to see if you have low magnesium.

I havenā€™t found a single thing thatā€™s helped me yet.

Thatā€™s more to find out if you are seriously deficient and may have a different serious health problem - not a good test for migraine. Put another way, you can still get some results even though you test ā€œnormalā€ for magnesium. Pierangelo Geppetti, MD discusses this in day 5 of the migraine world summit.

1 Like

I didnā€™t know that, i thought it was only beneficial if you were deficient. The recommended doses of vitamins for migraine is so high i donā€™t know how anyone tolerates them.

1 Like

How are u feeling have the ectopic slowed down is your autonomic system better

Omg this is me. Because of the fear we get ectopic? Do you have ear pain and pressure from vm x