Visit With Neuro - new meds

Told doc that if I had to grade the efficacy of Verapamil, I would acknowledge 40% improvement and that my main concerns were the dizziness, the total lack of energy (not laziness - but bone-tired), the occasional brain-lapses and the freaking weight I gained since the attack. I did share the constipation story of how I had to do certain things to myself that would have made a proctologist proud, but later cured with a daily dose of bran and Beneful.

“So - how would you like me to take away your dizziness, give you back your energy, your brain - all the while, supressing your appetite?”

Dealing with an MS patient, the first thing that comes to mind for energy? Amantadine.

But now the promise of taking it all away in one, fell pill?

“You got God in a closet, do you?”

“Nope. Going to start you in Ritalin.”

I know only that Ritalin is for the treatment of ADD and ADHD. I was shocked.

“Really? Ritalin??”
Hubby is currently out picking it up at the pharmacy so that I can stat tomorrow. And so begins the pill-cutting. Lawdy, I hate doing that.
Three doses per day of 1/2 Verapamil pill…an the start of Ritalin 1 tablet at breakfast and at lunch for 1 week, at which point I can titrate up to 2 pills BID if needed.
I don’t know what to think. At ths point, I’m SOcnfused.

What did the doctor say the Ritalin is for? Is that to increase your energy?

Hi MJ,
Sorry doc pulled the plug on vera. It’s only been a month right? 40% improvement in a month seems like a lot to me but I understand you are having some other symptoms which are complicating the picture.

I am very curious about your docs choice of ritalin next. Can you tell us more about his reasoning for choosing this drug? Is it supposed to help your MAV symptoms as well? How much did he prescribe?

best
“the other” lisa

Dr says it’ll reduce dizziness, help my enery levels. Also says it has shown itself as effective for migraine.

The reason he wanted me off the Verapimil was a BP of 88/58.

Return visit in 6 weeks unless there are ANY negative effects or increased sxs.

5mg bid, titrate to 10mg bid…

Ritalin? That’s a new one. Would be great if it’s a magic bullet. Please keep us posted MJ!

Victoria

Hi MJ,
Just re-read your first post… are you still taking verapamil but just at a lower dose?

Good luck with the ritalin. I may ask my doc about that one at my appt. this friday?

Best,
Lisa

— Begin quote from “MAVNY”

Hi MJ,
Just re-read your first post… are you still taking verapamil but just at a lower dose?

Good luck with the ritalin. I may ask my doc about that one at my appt. this friday?

Best,
Lisa

— End quote

For the next week, my Verapamil doses will be cut in half. I’ve been reading up on the use of Ritalin for dizziness, migraine and this 'lethargy on steroids. Hard for find anything that isn’t related to ADD/ADHD. Maybe he’s secretly thinking I have ADD?

I just heard of someone being put on ritalin for menopausal symptoms including foggy brain, inability to focus, lethargy, forgetfulness, etc. So I guess ritalin is now being prescribed for other ailments. Let us know how it goes. I seems like it just calms the brain and helps in concentration and calmness … who knows. Good luck.

Marie - didn’t your doctor explain what he was using the ritalin for? we’re all curious

Put a call in to neuro to get some clarification as to whether this is to address symptoms I have with the sleeping at the drop of a hat (bone exhaustion=narcolepsy?) and dizziness or if this is also a new means of preventing migraines by altering the chemicals in my brain. I was honestly just so glad that there could be life without dizzness and the promise of restored energy that it didn’t occur to me to even question the use of Ritalin beyond the “Really? Ritalin?”

Woke up, however, dizzy as all get out (halved my dose of Verapamil last night as instructed) and I have a wax-n-wan fullness in my right ear. I am very clear headed, however, and my body doesn’t feel like it weighs a ton.

I’ll keep you posted.

sounds great. let us know what the neuro says. Does your doc treat many pts with MAV? It is so hard to find an “expert” on MAV.

The moment he heard my symptoms, he told me I had MAV. He used terms like ‘classic symptoms’. He is the only neuro in this office that deals specifically with migraine. Still waiting for nurse to call.

Please, please, please keep us posted on the Ritilin!!! I am very curious about this one. I will see my Migraine Doc in December and I am also going to ask him about this. Although I don’t get the classic Dizzy, as in room spinning, I get a woozy head…sort of as if my brain were sort of moving inside my skull ???

Pam

— Begin quote from “pamg6”

Please, please, please keep us posted on the Ritilin!!! I am very curious about this one. I will see my Migraine Doc in December and I am also going to ask him about this. Although I don’t get the classic Dizzy, as in room spinning, I get a woozy head…sort of as if my brain were sort of moving inside my skull ???

Pam

— End quote

Pam - my room doesn’t spin unless I’ve crashed. Like you, my gyroscope goes wonky and my brain feels like those dashboard compasses that float in fluid.
I realize it’s just day one - but I’m already not too happy with what I’m experiencing. Reducing the Verapamil has already brought back the thrum in my head, the hard rushing in my ears and I’m getting spotty auras.

I do have the nurse’s explanation of doc’s reasoning behind the use of RItalin in another thread.