Walking

Thatā€™s interesting. Iā€™ve never heard that beforeā€¦ To add some context to my situation Iā€™ve had this condition now for almost 2 years. I had a VNG test done about 6 weeks after all this stuff started and the results were said to be normal. After a year of having this stuff I asked a different doctors office to repeat the VNG test and they found an abnormality in the caloric test. It showed a 50% weakness in the left inner earā€¦ So, Iā€™m not sure if the first test was not done accurately or if the left sided weakness happened sometime later during the first yearā€¦

So I did 3 months of vestibular rehab. I did the exercises around the clock everyday for 3 months and I havenā€™t been able to make any improvement. When I first started the rehab the physical therapist did some tests and thought I already had most of the compensation already dialed in. She thinks what dizziness I have is probably migraine related.

The other strange thing to me is the weakness is suppose to be on my left inner ear yet all the migraine and walking issues have been on my right side. Iā€™m not sure how to figure it. My only thought is that maybe the body is dialing up the sensitivity on the right side to try and compensate for the left side and causing a migraine type of hypersensitivity. I donā€™t know if that theory would make sense or notā€¦ I donā€™t know if its true but Iā€™ve heard it said that people that go blind sometimes there mind/body adjusts by making other senses more sensitive to help them compensate. I wonder if that logic could be applied to my situation except my mind/body isnā€™t doing a very good job of itā€¦

1 Like

But this is just a theory. In any case I wonder if this will turn out to be hydrops (which can theoretically be benign) and not stroke damage?

1 Like

So you have stopped the VRT? Was she saying because of the link to migraine she can take you no further forward? Consensus is that migraine being central doesnā€™t respond to rehab as peripheral does so is not wirth pursuing.

Doesnā€™t the brain work opposite sides. Left side brain controls right side body. Iā€™ve read that somewhere. If indeed thatā€™s right.

1 Like

I had an MRI done a few weeks after this condition first happened. The MRI was normal. No indication of stroke. I donā€™t know much about hydropsā€¦ Iā€™ll have to do some reading about it. What I can say is that I donā€™t have any tinnitus and the hearing tests Iā€™ve had seem to be normal. I had a 2nd MRI done about 1.5 years after this condition started. The 2nd MRI I was told that it was normal. I never saw the results on the 2nd MRI but I have the findings from the 1st MRI. I will copy and paste them below:

FINDINGS: Distinct nerve roots are identified within the internal auditory canals on the thin section T2 images. No mass lesions are identified. The inner ear structures appear unremarkable. The cochlea, vestibule and semicircular canals are unremarkable. The cerebellopontine angles are unremarkable. There is a slightly high riding right internal jugular old.

A slightly prominent normal variant arachnoid granulation is identified within the left transverse sinus. No abnormal areas of signal intensity or contrast enhancement are identified within the brain parenchyma. Specifically, there are no areas of restricted diffusion with no gradient echo signal abnormalities. No extra-axial fluid collections are present, and there is no evidence of intracranial mass effect or midline shift. Unremarkable ventricles and cortical sulci. Intact midline structures with no evidence of cerebellar ectopia. Normal vascular flow voids.

I have to follow up with her sometime next month. Iā€™m not sure what sheā€™ll want me to do. Before all this stuff happened to me I used to workout 5 to 6 days a week. I was in great shapeā€¦ I did this rehab about as good as anybody could do it. I did the exercises around the clock for 3 months. Almost every hour I was awake. If its possible to do to much of this stuff I might be guilty of it. I donā€™t know. All I know is that after 3 months of this rehab I havenā€™t seen any improvement.

Thatā€™s a great sign. Not always the case.

Bear in mind that the standard clinical MRI is only able to rule out neuroma. A great thing to rule out, however! A new cutting edge MRI is being rolled out but costs $15k a pop.

You sure can. You must have robust system ā€˜underneathā€™ because VRT and particularly too much VRT can make MAV ~far far worse for some people. I was one! Itā€™s nothing like ā€˜working outā€™to keep fit. Itā€™s not aquestion of making say your eyes in better physical shape so they cope better. Itā€™s supposed to develop new neural pathways in the brain. Iā€™m not certain of the figures but there are some somewhere on the internet which tell you if VRT doesnā€™t work - ie cure - within n period of time, it never will so quit it, Helen

I realize thereā€™s a difference. My point was to say that I pushed through all the difficulty to do the exercises as good as I possibly could. I didnā€™t slack in doing the exercises even though they were extremely nauseatingā€¦ I wanted to make the point that the rehab didnā€™t fail because of lack of work on my half.

Yep. I got your point. For me the very fact youā€™d kept doing VRT three months, youā€™d obviously given it everything you could. I did it myself 50 minutes five times a day for six months so I know how nauseating it makes you. The failure to compensate wouldnā€™t be your fault for not trying hard enough. Possibly you tried too hard but I think thatā€™s very unlikely as it didnā€™t have any detrimental affect in your MAV. Unstable MAV just doesnā€™t respond to VRT for many people. Helen

I have been diagnosed with MAV, I had unsteady walking at the beginning especially if I got out of a car and started walking, I would feel dizzy and like the ground was sponge for a couple of minutes until I adjusted. Thatā€™s gone now but if someone is talking to me while Iā€™m walking or standing that makes me dizzy and I canā€™t concentrate on the conversation, it has improved but still not gone.

1 Like

Yep, thatā€™s a good attitude, and I think it applies to meds too.

Thanks for writing this. That was definitely helpfulā€¦ My physical therapist says that these walking issues arenā€™t a normal symptom to have with a neuritis so I wanted to get an idea if itā€™s a typical symptom of VM. It sounds like some people with VM get some of these walking symptoms that I have but it also sounds like itā€™s not nearly as frequent as I do. I have theses symptoms regularly. Some days it feels more like Iā€™m slightly tilted when Iā€™m walking but on my worst days its like stepping into a hole. Iā€™ve mentioned these symptoms to some of the doctors Iā€™ve seen and theyā€™ll ask to see me walk and then they seem disinterested in talking any further about it.

I think Iā€™ll ask my neurologist to do an EMG on my leg and try to reemphasize the walking problem isnā€™t a normal symptom of a neuritis.

2 Likes

Good morning @porter44, ahā€¦ the classic therapist opinion vs neurological opinion vs ENT opinion vs our reality. Walking issues are absolutely a symptom that I would say most of us have. Tilting is another strong MAV symptom. Or the illusion of tilting I should say. I can be standing still and feel like I am at a 45 degree angle. My therapist completely understood this and in her opinion and education something she had seen many many times, completely normal. Standing on the cushion with eyes closed doing VRTā€¦ I felt like I was thrashing aroundā€¦ when the reality was (per my therapist) I was a absolutely still as a board.

4 Likes

I have had an elevator drop feeling which is similar and have read that people with mav have this . Essentially any symptoms with a balance problems is possible . Iā€™ve had mav 12 years and Iā€™ve never had the trampoline feeling but have had much of what you describe .
A

2 Likes

You got it in one Amy. The VRT Therapist told me to ā€˜expect anything to happenā€™, and she was just about right. Iā€™ve never - yet - had the trampoline one either but then Iā€™m over fifteen years in and Iā€™ve only caught you up with the ā€˜derealisationā€™ thingy a couple of weeks back. Plenty of time yet. Iā€˜ve had all manner of seemingly strange leg sensations. Iā€™ve had the feeling the ground was too close so your foot sort of collides with it or too far down so your foot flatters and has to go on further to reach ground. Rather your foot stumbles. Not you but just one foot. Iā€™ve had walking with ā€˜woodenā€™ knees or ā€˜concreteā€™ knees, they donā€™t seem to give at all. Iā€™ve had ā€˜ball bearingā€™ knees where it feels as if your knees are rolling around in over their joints. Itā€™s all balance related and in my case Iā€™m sure stems from the MAV. Tilted is another one. That one I found can be imagined or actual. Iā€™ve had both. As example if the MAVā€™s bad and my balance is really off Iā€™ve noticed my hairdresser will always be straightening up my head whilst cutting my hair. The actual tilt goes to my right, always. On a good MAV day my head is correctly aligned and she doesnā€™t have to straighten it up. The ā€˜tiltingā€™ extends to field of vision. Some days I feel taller, as if Iā€™m looking down from being higher up than usual. All tricks the brain plays or more likely all tricks the body plays whilst the brainā€™s fully occupied trying to keep us upright without its usual easy access to the proper and correct sources to do so. Helen

2 Likes

Could I suggest you read - part at least, I realise itā€™s very lengthy - of the paper I posted recently on ā€˜Vertigo of Ocular Motor originā€™? Particularly, the two paragraph section entitled ā€˜Visual Guidanceā€™ and ā€˜the 8th paragraph under the ā€˜Visual Vertigoā€™ section. May be something to which you can relate. Helen

1 Like

I canā€™t seem to find the paper you posted on ā€œVertigo of Ocular Motor Originā€.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987718301324

1 Like