Weight gain

Ugh, Kelley I can totally empathize! The 20-25 pounds I gained came on in about four months time. It totally sucks. I still have all the weight to get rid of, and Iā€™m not looking forward to my annual physical tomorrow and the weigh-in plus bloodwork with my cholesterol levels. Sigh.

Kelley,

Last time I checked the scales (this weekend) Iā€™d put on another kilo too. I actually said out loud (luckily no-one else was in the gym change room) ā€œFor f*ckā€™s sake!!ā€. I have no idea any more if two years of Prothiaden mucked up my metabolism or if I am a garden variety glutton with no off switch. Sigh.

As for you - if you are working out could the extra weight actually be muscle rather than lard? It weighs a whole lot more (apparantly). Maybe donā€™t weigh yourself - the pinch test does not lie. Neither does the tight jeans test LOL.

Vic

Anne,
did you plateau after the 20-25 pounds? I just wonder if this is a never ending climbā€¦obviously I canā€™t have thatā€¦for my piece of mind and for my health sake, but it just sucks that I finally am feeling well and now thisā€¦I"m going to talk with my doctor about it and also get a round of tests to see if my blood sugar/triglycerides etc is being affected
Vic, THe pinch test is uglyā€¦the jeans are gathering dust in favor of my sweat pantsā€¦
tisk tisk tiskā€¦
Kelley

Kelley, it did taper off, but I also came off of Celexa so Iā€™m not sure if it would have kept climbing if I hadnā€™t stopped? And the weight didnā€™t budge for the 5 months that I was med-free. Iā€™ve been on Prozac now for 5+ months and no weight gain so far.

But I didnā€™t start gaining weight on Celexa until I was on it for about 6 months or so, so I could still be in for some weight gain, although I hope not!! Iā€™m hoping to come off of Prozac if the Topamax works.

I think the ADs do cause weight gain for some people no matter what doctors may say. Search online forums and youā€™ll read plenty of stories of people like us that never had weight issues before ADs, and now canā€™t stop the weight gain.

ADs often mess with peopleā€™s weight, but some people lose weight on them instead, so they seem to have different effects on different people. When I took prozac years ago, I lost quite a bit of weight.

I went to a scientific conference last year about obesity. It was really fascinating, all about how appetite is controlled etc. Anyway someone also gave an example of how little extra it takes per day to make you put on a lot of weight over time, I think it was one custard cream biscuit per day more than your body needs, and 10 kg per year. One small biscuit is nothing, and I seriously doubt anyone would notice they were eating more if it was just that. I know I ate a lot more when I was on pizotifen, cos I was hungry all the flippinā€™ time, and never felt full after a meal, which made it so hard to stop! More like ten biscuits!

Ditch the carbsā€¦ thatā€™s all I can say in helping to get your body to gain all itā€™s energy from fat stores in your body instead.

I dropped 10 kgs from Aug - Feb by doing the following:

Protein shake for breakfast (32 grams of protein and 4grams of carbs)

Warm chicken salad with quinoa and loads of yumminess at lunch

Meat or fish and veggies for dinner.

Ditched the sugar in my coffee too.

Fri nights and Saturdays were my treat ā€˜eat till you pukeā€™ days :smiley:

The weight just fell off.

Try it in conjunction with the excerciseā€¦ itā€™ll take at least 6 weeks to notice any effects.

xx

1 Like

Muppo, Iā€™ve been trying the veggies/fruit/meat route and very limited carbs from breads/pasta, etc. and I have noticed a difference.

I also have noticed a decrease in appetite from the topamax. Just not craving the sweets and carbs like I usually do. Iā€™ve lost 5 pounds since starting topamax with no change in exercise. Wish it was more but Iā€™ll take that for now :slight_smile:

Iā€™m going to get more serious about my exercise now that Iā€™m feeling better. Iā€™ve got to get to a healthy weight again.

Once your body gets ā€˜usedā€™ to not having tons of carbs, the weight loss will speed up - 1kg per week is the way to go - you dont want rapid weight loss and throw your body into shock.

Good luck! x

Here are some others to help you gain weight:

beer
a hamburger
greasy fries
elephant ear from the fair
and the ever popular pint of haagen daz ice-cream all to yourself at nighttime

all of these have helped in my quest to ensure that my dockers are as snug as a glove around my waist :smiley:

Scottie, why has your profile picture changed, your a big hunk???
Do you Rapp now too? lol
jenxx

Hey Kelley, sorry about the wieght gain , I know about that so well, dont worry , youā€™l become so depressed about like I have , the pounds will drop off, Iā€™ve lost 2 Kiloā€™s in 3 weeks from the stress of Mav and meds, gotta love it hey.
Man Iā€™m freaking mentle dont cha think??
:roll:
jenxxx

What is a calorie?
                    Calories are the little bugs that get into your wardrobe  at night and sew your clothes tighter... 
                    MY CLOSET IS INFESTED WITH THE LITTLE SHITS.

Mine too David, :lol:

WICKED :mrgreen: