Weight Training a definite No-No?

Before I came down with MAV I used to thoroughly enjoy weight training. Now i´ve gotten to the point where i can do twenty minuye jogging or bike riding, but I really miss the weight training. About a tear ago did some for about a couple of weeks but one day, doing squats, i pushed too hard and had a relapse afterwards. Anyone think if i were to do light weights and not max out wether it would be ok? Would appreciate anyone´s thoughts.
p.s. i have never had true vertigo, just light headedness, brain fog, and just feel plain tired most of the time. The biggest trigger for me is weather change -never fails to screw me up. Food, coffee, etc doesn´t really affect me.

best

J

I can’t do squat(s) due to arthritic knee and, especially, necrotic hip, but I enjoy working out in the gym well enough otherwise, and have experienced no negative effects on MAV, brain fog, etc. This said, I haven’t pushed my limits terribly hard. That I’ve done more commonly swimming.

Hi Rhino,

I’ve had problems with weights if I go too hard/heavy, but if I keep it fairly low key (less weights, more reps) I’m OK. My neurologist cautioned against really intense workouts and suggested fairly gentle cardio - walking, swimming - was best.

Vic

1 Like

I haven’t noticed any major issues from weights - I do 2 sessions per week, although I’m not “arnie” about it I do push myself

[Austrian accent]
I pick things up and put them down.
[/Austrian accent]

Ok, all kidding aside, I lift a couple times a week, and I do go pretty hard at times, but I always make sure to work up to it really slow, and to pay close attention to my body and how I feel. Start with carrion, work to to a good heart rate, then light lifting, add weights slowly and then work back down. If I jump up or down one weight too fast or stop altogether things sometimes don’t go well.

Great to see that some of you are doing ok with it! I think i will give it another go!..slowly
Those of you who do do weights, is your MAV of the “occasional brain fog, trouble focusing on moving things, and just general tiredeness”?
Also have your symptoms improved over the months/ years and do you find regular exercise does improve symptoms? I´ll feel a bit funny after a really long bike ride or jog sometimes, but it will usually last less than an hour, and afterwards i am generally glad i did it. Do you guys feel something funny immediately AFTER you do exercise?

many thanks

J

Hi J,
I’ve had MAV for almost 3 years now - it’s the 24/7 constantly dizzy type, including brain-fog, heavy-head, etc. Through all that time I tried to carry on exercising, including gym a few times a week if possible (and that would include some light-ish weights - the use of 14 - 18kg dumb-bells for example). I always, always felt better immediately after cardio-related exercise - the longer I did the cardio-exercise for, the longer the beneficial effect afterwards - usually the relentless dizziness would lessen in severity for an hour or so. It always felt as though the brain was somehow ‘sedated’ after cardio-exercise, and became calmer, and the dizziness seemed to calm down with it. But it would always return after an hour or two, back to normal levels :frowning:

Unfortunately, my symptoms have only really improved through the use of meds. I wish you well,
Tony.

Since I’ve followed the diet, mine has been just the brain fog type, plus (presuming this is from the MAV) occasionally finding I’ve left the pool sooner than I planned to, with no recollection of the decision. Hasn’t happened with weights, just with swimming. My weight workout is mildly aerobic; my swimming ranges from aerobic to anaerobic. And yes, on a bad day swimming usually clears my head.

— Begin quote from “rhino514”

Also have your symptoms improved over the months/ years and do you find regular exercise does improve symptoms? I´ll feel a bit funny after a really long bike ride or jog sometimes, but it will usually last less than an hour, and afterwards i am generally glad i did it. Do you guys feel something funny immediately AFTER you do exercise?

— End quote

Yes, yes and yes :slight_smile: If I don’t do exercise then that day is never as good as a day when I do exercise. In fact if I am having a bad day then I will force myself to go to the gym because I always feel better afterwards . Sometimes the first 5-10 mins aren’t great, but after that I get into it and by then time I leave I often feel a lot better. I don’t normally have any bad after-effect immediately after exercise

I probably should point out that the reason I started going to the gym was cause of all the MAV nonsense - I wasn’t a regular exerciser before…I’m built for comfort, not speed :lol: