What does your Food Day look like?

Looking for tips on healthy breakfasts, snacks, lunches, dinners, etc.

What do you eat?

Trying to get some protien in the AM and avoid cereal. Also trying for Non GMO and organic if possible.

:smiley:

Thanks everyone!

Workdays:

Breakfast - 3 veggies and 3 fruit smoothie w/vanilla rice milk and protein powder; the BEST <: !
Lunch - Pasta or brown rice with veggies (I buy mostly Amy’s organic frozen lunches to make it easier because I have little time)
Dinner - Huge variety; today it was chicken w/roasted potatoes, spinach, and apple sauce and yesterday it was lentil soup.

Van

Wow that sounds great! Love the smoothie for breakfast, but was afraid of soy protein powders. What kind of protein powder do you use?

Love Amy’s organic foods, they are a local company here too that makes it even better.

K

Hi Kathleen,

I’m OK with a soy one, but there are tons of other organic options. I think you’ll just need to try a few to find what you like. Check this out:

thatsfit.com/2011/03/29/how- … n-powders/

Lisa

My usual breakfast: I start slices of bell pepper or garlic or both sauteeing in olive oil. I whir egg white powder with skim milk (lactose-free, nowadays) in a blender with maybe some turmeric and ginger powders, and occasionally a little oat bran. I pour this crud into the pan, cover it, continue it heating extremely low (sometimes perched above the burner) till about set. Eat it with some juice or fruit.

My weekend breakfast: pancakes made with egg white powder and WW pastry flour. Fruit.

My “I’ve got to be very energetic before too long” breakfast: egg white powder whirred with skim milk, a little allspice, maybe cinnamon, and grade 2 maple syrup, blended and drunk.

But this morning I breakfasted on borscht I’d made Thursday night, and I forget what else. I’d a wee bit of tofu in the borscht, but no egg or potato.

Good question - everyone is always asking me “so, what CAN you eat?”
I’ve played around with a lot of recipes and ingredients that can replace some of my old favorites…

Breakfast: I usually have cereal with some whole oats mixed in ( I need more fiber after quitting coffee :slight_smile: ) and chopped up apple, peach, or blueberries OR I make an oatmeal smoothie with ground up oats, chia seeds, lowfat milk, cinnamon, apples or peaches and sometimes a touch of agave nectar. If eggs don’t bother you - I also like to make a big batch of quinoa early in the week and eat it with a fried egg and some chopped up apple or a bunch of greens ( quinoa also makes great hot or cold cereal!) Sometimes I have mint or rooibos tea - but I’m not entirely convinced tea doesn’t give me the yuckiness.

Lunch: Lunch is always tough because I usually end up having to pick something up if I don’t have dinner leftovers. I typically end up grabbing some sort of salad with grilled chicken, fish or beef and keep some of my own dressing on hand (grapeseed or olive oil, distilled white vinegar, garlic powder, mustard powder and a touch of agave nectar).

Dinner: I usually have some kind of protien (fresh chicken, fish, or beef) with sauteed veggies, squash or sweet potato, and either quinoa, spaghetti squash/zucchini “noodles” , cauliflower “rice”, or brown rice pasta ( I like Tinkyada). I sometimes I throw in some fresh ricotta cheese, or make vegan pesto (pine nuts seem to be ok for me). I find that a lot of Paleo recipes can work well for me with some slight modifications (check out PaleOMG :slight_smile: ).

Snacks: A slice of hearty whole grain bread ( day old or frozen) with sunbutter (sunflower butter), fruit, crudites, homemade kale chips, home popped popcorn or popcorn with only oil and salt.

TREATS! One thing I have realized about having MAV is that I am so thankful for BUTTER. and sugar. I like to make a little batch of snickerdoodle cookies (cinnamon and sugar), caramel is your friend - especially on vanilla ice cream, panna cotta, cheesecake with no chocolate or nuts ( cream cheese should be ok) . Be careful of puffed up pastries and some cakes - they may be yeast risen ( I like to buy a croissant and freeze for the next morning - throw it in the microwave for a few seconds and it comes back to life). I’ve also learned to love white chocolate. It does the trick when you are craving some creamy milk chocolate.

Hope that helps!!