What is a realistic timeframe?

One more question for my dizzy friends around the world :slight_smile:

What is a realistic timeframe expectation to start seeing some relief from chronic disequilibrium/foggy/drunken/tinnuitis/yada yada feeling by beginning the MAV diet and starting 20 mg of Celexa?

I have seen people that say they feel better in a week or so…that seems so far of a stretch to me that it seems unreasonable.

I have been chronically (24/7) lightheaded, etc for almost 4 years…

Just looking for “normal” expectations of when I might see some sort of relief?

Granted , I am a realist. I am not expecting my life to be “normal” in the dictionary sense of the word. I would be content with simply “not struggling” as a suffice alternative to where I am at.

Anyone?

Maybe my migraine threshold is so low that it will take even longer? Just guessing.

Thanks to everyone!

I’m sure it’s something that is quite variable, as people seem to respond to medication differently, but I just read a scientific research article that says 6 weeks is a realistic timeframe to wait to see an improvement. But the 6 weeks starts from when you are on the highest dose, if you are taking something that is increased gradually, so this could be quite a few months from the start of treatment!

Wishing you all the best with your treatment and hope you start to see an improvement soon.

Todd – it depends on a few variables:

1. Is Celexa a good migraine med for you and actually working?

2. Have you managed to remove the significant triggers which might undermine your treatment?

3. How does your own body respond to treatment in terms of the migraine cycle shutting down?

We’re all different and one person’s silver bullet can be another’s nightmare unfortuantely. Celexa has a pretty good track record from what I’ve seen here and personal experience. I think you should see some sort of benefit after 6 weeks.

Is anxiety and/or depression a problem for you with this?

Scott 8)

I wouldn’t say I have anxiety or have depression about where I am in life…great wife, super kids, great job that allows my wife to stay home…

I am depressed because I have had the same sh## for 4 years and it won’t go away and frankly, I am just sick of being sick.

I am going to give this MAV diet a real “go” though.

I have altered my diet for the past week, although I find that some foods sneak through that I did not think would be potential triggers…ie. pea pods, soy protein, plums , etc.

I am on Celexa at 20 mg for the past 5 days. I see Dr. Baloh in 2 1/2 weeks…wanted to get a jumpstart on the medication before I see him. He may tweak them but that is fine.

When I hear people say “triggers”, I really do not get it. When you have had something locked in for 4 stinking years, there are no “triggers”…just a long, continuous 24/7 trigger :?

Is it really possible for a migraine to be “locked” in for this long? Sometimes, I start doubting myself and everything I have learned about it…ughhh

The kid’s neurologist told us that, if you had the right medication, it would take about 3 months to know if it was going to work for you or not. (That includes the ramping up time, I think.) If the first one didn’t work, you could try another medication, and again plan on another 3 months to decide if it’s going to work. I think she said that any given medication is likely to work for about three quarters of the people who try it.

She seems to think sleep schedule is more important than diet, for keeping this under control. Strict sleep hygiene, 7 days a week.

The kid had a virus last week, and that made his symptoms escalate a bit. I don’t know if that was from the virus, or from sleeping more and on a different schedule.

Anyway, the kid’s neurologist encouraged us to keep an open mind about how long it would take for him to feel better. Sometimes you have to try a bunch of different things. But his first MAV attack started at the end of September, and while it’s not entirely over yet, it’s way, way better.

Mamabear

Hi Todd,
I have found my symptoms have gotten better rather quickly once I was on the right medication. I would say within 10 days. Not “cured” mind you, but def better. Unfortunately for me, I seem to have a problem with staying better as over time my body seems to stop positively responding to my meds. I think it may be the way I metabolize them.
Celexa is a good one for many people. YOu have had no problem starting at 20 mg? For most people, they start very slowly. It is a good sign that you are able to tolerate it well. Don’t be surprised if you start seeing improvements rather quickly…
Kelley

— Begin quote from “Go Gonzaga”

I wouldn’t say I have anxiety or have depression about where I am in life…great wife, super kids, great job that allows my wife to stay home…

— End quote

Sorry, I didn’t really ask this very well. I was thinking more along the lines of a more physiological anxiety and depression with symptoms. I think there’s a big diff between feeling sh*tty about life in general – the common sort of depression – versus the crap this generates. But certainly too being ill with this causes the regular depression too. I think I recall you saying that anxiety just pops up for you for no apparent reason and then burns out again. I have a feeling Celexa should work well for you given the MAV seems to be hassling that part of your brain as well where the anxiety centre is.

I am on Celexa at 20 mg for the past 5 days.

— End quote

This is amazing that you are handling 20 mg right off the bat. Sounds like you’re a pretty med tolerant guy. That’s a plus for sure. Most on here get a blast from about 1/6 the normal dose of these migraine meds. I only have to look at the tab and I feel a jolt. :lol:

When I hear people say “triggers”, I really do not get it. When you have had something locked in for 4 stinking years, there are no “triggers”…just a long, continuous 24/7 trigger

— End quote

You may be inadvertently exposing yourself daily to a potent trigger and not know it which could potentially be keeping you in a chronic state. Burd, for example, had to remove all kinds of stuff from her surroundings to make a difference – anything creating odours. For others it might be a food item. Alcohol or a daily caffeine fix could be tightening the screws etc. Or maybe you’re so sensitised right now that just getting out of bed is setting you off. Hope you see some improvement by altering your diet and sleeping regularly etc (if you can).

Is it really possible for a migraine to be “locked” in for this long?

— End quote

Unfortunately, yes.

Scott

Once I found the right medication for me, I got back to 80-90% pretty quickly. I felt a little better after the first day of switching from beta-blocker to calcium-channel blocker. It took 3 days to feel the “stability” from effexor. Hope you are able to quickly find the right meds that work for you.

For me the effects from the meds (Prothiaden) were slow and gradual - and by that I mean weeks, even months. But I am now stable. I know it’s working as I recently (unsuccessfully) tried to lower my dosage. I did OK from 150mg to 125 but from 125 to 100 the symptoms all started creeping back. Within 24 hours of going back up to 125mg all was 95% right with the world again.

Vic