Whatever you do

… don’t talk too much about anything you feel is a physical disease, with a psychiatrist.
My psych quit, and it sounded like he had some interesting thoughts about serotonin meds and me, so I ordered copies of my patient notes* to see what he’d written about it.
Quite frankly I was pretty pissed when I started reading it. First off, it stated I couldn’t get to the clinic “because of [my] psychological issues”. I clearly talked about my extreme motion sickness with 'em and they should know that. It also stated I was overly fixated on my dizziness and migraine. It stated I may have atypical psychosis which could account for my fixation with the dizziness??!! :evil:
Perhaps it is also too far-fetched to be obsessed with something because it fricking ruins my entire life? I doubt ignoring it will make it go away!!
He may or may not have agreed a bit more about the migraine part towards the end, but I’m not sure.

End of rant, thanks for listening.
(PS. Today is/was my birthday. :oops: Not a very good one, I’m hoping the next is better!)

• Not sure what the english term is, but the stuff doctors/nurses write to keep track of a patient.

“Notes” is the right word and i’m not at all surprised about what you found in them. I’m afraid it happens all too often. And it’s maddening. So this is the same guy who wanted to get you out of the house? figures.

Pisses me off because one of the things a therapist is supposed to do is help you see reality. People are so bound up in their complexes (too close to themselves - can’t see the forest for the trees) to see reality. A good therapist will stay out of his/her own complexes (that’s the hard part) and stay out of your complexes (sometimes even harder) which is why some people complain about them acting so neutral (cold even), but it’s the only way they can see reality.

This guy failed miserably. He was the one who was obsessed - with his own complexes. You got gipped. Not only was this not healing, it was wounding. Sorry if that all sounds melodramatic, but it’s true.

It’s bad enough when stupid people in our lives do this to us, but when a therapist, someone with whom we form a parent/child bond with, does it to us, it can (not saying it did with you) have devastating results.

Happy Birthday Tran, Maybe next year,

Julie

Happy Birthday Tran, I really hope things start to pick up for you.

When I read your post, I felt so angry on your behalf! It enrages me that you have to deal with some person saying these kinds of things on top of dealing with your illness. I would be a gibbering wreck if someone said that about me! At least he has left now and you won’t have to see him again.

Take care

Becky x

I haven’t seen a therapist or psychiatrist although I could probably use one. I’ve worked in psychiatric healthcare for many years as a registered nurse & have seen the mind set you described. I always worried that we would overlook a legitimate, serious medical concern because we were so focused on behavioral & mental disorders. I am so thankful I have a PCP who listens to me & believes what I tell him. A doctor who is your advocate is a rare but precious find.

this is for tran,
Dr’s suck too… they just dont think they do.
:mrgreen:

ACTUAL SENTENCES FOUND IN PATIENTS HOSPITAL CHARTS

1. She has no rigors or shaking chills , but her husband states she
    was very hot in bed last night.

2. Patient has chest pain if she lies on her left side for over a year.

3. On the second day the knee was better, and on the third day it disappeared.

4. The patient is tearful and crying constantly. She also appears to be depressed.

5. The patient has been depressed since she began seeing me in 1993.

6. Discharge status: Alive but without my permission.

7. Healthy appearing decrepit 69 year old male, mentally alert but forgetful.

8. The patient refused autopsy.

9. The patient has no previous history of suicides.

10. Patient has left white blood cells at another hospital.

11. Patient’s medical history has been remarkably insignificant with only a 40 pound
    weight gain in the past three days.

12. Patient had waffles for breakfast and anorexia for lunch.

13. Between you and me, we ought to be able to get this lady pregnant.

14. Since she can’t get pregnant with her husband, I thought you might like to
    work her up.

15. She is numb from her toes down.

16. While in ER, she was examined, X-rated and sent home.

17. The skin was moist and dry.

18. Occasional, constant infrequent headaches.

19. Patient was alert and unresponsive.

20. Rectal examination revealed a normal size thyroid.

21. She stated that she had been constipated for most of her life, until she got
    a divorce.

22. I saw your patient today, who is still under our car for physical therapy.

23. Both breasts are equal and reactive to light and accommodation.

24. Examination of genitalia reveals that he is circus sized.

25. The lab test indicated abnormal lover function.

26. The patient was to have a bowel resection. However, he took a job as a stock
    broker instead.

27. Skin: somewhat pale but present.

28. The pelvic exam will be done later on the floor.

29. Patient was seen in consultation by Dr. Blank, who felt we should sit on the
    abdomen and I agree.

30. Large brown stool ambulating in the hall.

31. Patient has two teenage children, but no other abnormalities.

Dr’s are not gods!!! as we’v all seen , over and OVER and OVER!!!and OVER!!! and OVER!!!
jen 8)
everyone needs a good Doc

I definitely understand. I started seeing a therapist for my stress, anxiety and depression (all of which ultimately aggravate my migraine/vertigo). Luckily, she is very understanding but I think it might be because she works at my school’s student center and is used to treating (as she said so herself) “a lot of students who complain about migraines and want to talk about how to prevent them.”

Granted, I also have a really close relationship with my therapist and my neurologist (both of whom work through my university’s healthcare system). So they know I’m not “making things up”, but then again what do I know, they could be taking notes behind my back that completely disregard my problems.

But if the matter is over whether migraine/veritgo problems are physical or psychological–well, I think the two conditions aggravate each other. I start to feel hopeless and anxious when I have a bad migraine, which is sometimes caused by stress/anxiety in the first place!

Jen

Thanks for posting these exerts from hosptial charts. I couldnt stop laughing :mrgreen: They really cheered me up.

Beck

— Begin quote from “Beech19”

Jen

Thanks for posting these exerts from hosptial charts. I couldnt stop laughing :mrgreen: They really cheered me up.

Beck

— End quote

I second that :mrgreen:
“Rectal examination revealed a normal size thyroid.” WTF :shock:

Guys,

You know how i feel about doctors and the mistakes they make, but I have to tell you, I have access to transcribed medical records and not all those mistakes are made by the doctors, the last mistake i saw was:

baloney amputation

The doctor clearly dictated: below-knee amputation

If those quotes of Jen’s were transcribed and not written, they could have been the transcriptionist’s fault.

There used to be a book published regarding these mis-transcribed bloopers, but i couldn’t find it on Amazon, not a big seller I guess :slight_smile:

Julie