Whole Food Testimony - past and present

I’m so not a professional when it comes to diet - but have had some experience with losing weight 120lbs 5 years ago, changing and maintaining proper diet for about 4 years before I went rogue.

I was just recently diagnosed wiht degenerative arthritis (spondylitis) in my spine, because dontcha know, if it’s not two things (vestibular loss and MAV), it’s another.

I’m no stranger to back pain…but the unrelenting back issues began about 60 days after my vestibular/migraine attack in June. Need I add that between the attack and my diagnosis with degenerative arthritis, I’d gained nearly 30 lbs?

And so - it was without further ado that I recommitted to return to healthy eating.

Back when, I was on Atkins. I have decided to modify this method, meaning that I am doing away with the severe and most restrictive part of the diet (induction) and allowing unlimited fruits and veggines to my regime, paying great mind to the glycemic index and pairing hunger-inducing things (like apples) with protein (peanut butter). I make my own, whole wheat/whole grain bread (so easy-peasy and fun) by hand (no machines) - and enjoy the activity.

My version also means NO PROCESSED FOODS. No refined sugars. They are not and have never been necessary for one’s body to survive. Same with bleached flour and deli meats.

The habit of carefully scrutinizing labels to avoid things like MSG and anything that involves corn (one of my personal carb-craving triggers) has been reinstated.

Sounds dreadfully tedious, doesn’t it? But I’m determined to make my back better.

Now - assuming you’ve followed me this far, it might help to know that in following these practices just over this past week, I’ve noticed a significant difference in migraine activity, dizziness, and weight.

Better diet? Meds settling in? Reduction of sodium and MSG? Elimination of ‘junk’? Is it the fact that in doing what I’m doing now, I’m eliminating yeast from my system? Systemic yeast is nothing to scoff at.

Having done it before, I would tell peole who’d ask “But - how did you find the will-power?”, that I couldn’t actually describe what it was - but that something just ‘clicked’. Suddenly, achieving my goal was the easiest thing in the world. People would say, “You’ve worked so hard! Congrats!” I’d thank them but felt like such a fraud because…once my mind clicked - once the switch was flipped, the rest came by itself.

Being where I am now, I can tell you that what has flipped the ‘go switch’ on me is a fervent desire to find ‘total’ health.

Hi Mj,

I’m not surprised you feel better having eliminated the processed foods out of your diet and various potential triggers. Above all else, lifestyle modification makes the biggest impact on migraine prevention. Steve Rauch says that all migraineurs should shop around the perimeter of the supermarket and stay out of the aisles. Makes pretty good sense. I’m glad you’ve relaxed the Atkins approach. There’s been a few new studies lately showing that this diet has some significant negative impacts, the latest being on mood.

Scott

— Begin quote from “scott”

Hi Mj,

I’m not surprised you feel better having eliminated the processed foods out of your diet and various potential triggers. Above all else, lifestyle modification makes the biggest impact on migraine prevention. Steve Rauch says that all migraineurs should shop around the perimeter of the supermarket and stay out of the aisles. Makes pretty good sense. I’m glad you’ve relaxed the Atkins approach. There’s been a few new studies lately showing that this diet has some significant negative impacts, the latest being on mood.

Scott

— End quote

Once you reach maintenance stage with Atkins, you’re dealing with a well-rounded food selection. I was able, through the process of induction and then the reintroduction of certain foods while watching my reactions, to find what my body negatively responded to. I found that every phase served it’s purpose.

This time around, I am in no condition to jolt my body with induction. Breaking the refined-carb habit doesn’t necessitate the 25carbs per day restriction.

By virtue of my near-complete elimination of processed foods including nitrates (I’m a sucker for bacon), I’ve accomplished my ‘start’. I don’t need the sudden drop of weight in a short period of time to perpetrate my desire to continue.

hunger-inducing things (like apples)

Yes! I find apples always make me hungry. I have conducted a few straw polls on this and find it’s split about 50/50 between people who find apples make them hungry and those who say they don’t.

A petty observation I know, but it’s always intrigued me.

Vic,

You could always run a double-blinded placebo-controlled trial. You’ll have to find some fake placebo apples though. How do you like them apples? LOL

— Begin quote from “scott”

Vic,

You could always run a double-blinded placebo-controlled trial. You’ll have to find some fake placebo apples though. How do you like them apples? LOL

— End quote

ROFL! Everyone has something that can trigger carb-cravings. The best way to fight it is ot counter balance it with a heavier protein. Okay - so cheaty breakfast was a banana with natural peanut butter. Friend of mine makes it.

Fake placebo apples? I’ll have to think on that one. LOL

— Begin quote from “marie-johanne”

Now - assuming you’ve followed me this far, it might help to know that in following these practices just over this past week, I’ve noticed a significant difference in migraine activity, dizziness, and weight.

— End quote

MJ,

This does not surprise me a bit. I’ve posted before that following a low-carb diet, specifically Atkins, significantly improves my migraine symptoms. I’m sure a major factor is the foundation of whole foods rather than processed garbage with MSG, nitrates, etc., which are known triggers for me. I also believe I may have a gluten intolerance, so I do much better if I stay away from grains. And finally, I believe the diuretic effect of eating low-carb helps too. However, it is difficult to stick to a very low-carb diet, so I am planning to work my way up through the phases of Atkins and start gradually adding back gluten-free foods to see how I do.

By the way, you don’t know me, but I owe you a huge thank you. I will explain in a new thread. Watch for your name in the subject line.

Marci :smiley:

— Begin quote from “MarciM”

— Begin quote from “marie-johanne”

— End quote

MJ,

This does not surprise me a bit. I’ve posted before that following a low-carb diet, specifically Atkins, significantly improves my migraine symptoms. I’m sure a major factor is the foundation of whole foods rather than processed garbage with MSG, nitrates, etc., which are known triggers for me. I also believe I may have a gluten intolerance, so I do much better if I stay away from grains. And finally, I believe the diuretic effect of eating low-carb helps too. However, it is difficult to stick to a very low-carb diet, so I am planning to work my way up through the phases of Atkins and start gradually adding back gluten-free foods to see how I do.

By the way, you don’t know me, but I owe you a huge thank you. I will explain in a new thread. Watch for your name in the subject line.

Marci :smiley:

— End quote

Marci,

I hit maintenance and was consuming between 80-120 carbs per day.

Vic,

Ha! Nice one. I like them apples a lot!

Actually, this does make me wonder - how do “they” run tests for ‘elements’ of food which people are intolerant to etc? I realise certain things could be isolated eg nitrates but what about different elements within a food or in combination with others?

— Begin quote from “Victoria”

Vic,

Ha! Nice one. I like them apples a lot!

Actually, this does make me wonder - how do “they” run tests for ‘elements’ of food which people are intolerant to etc? I realise certain things could be isolated eg nitrates but what about different elements within a food or in combination with others?

— End quote

Don’t have enough money to even buy a clue on this one. I assumed that stuff like this sort of worked like MythBusters. LOL

How it worked while I was on Atkins? Suspicion, elimination for a period of time, then reintroduction, paying very close attention to how I feel and to the stats.