Wish me luck!

I see Dr Fife, my life saver today and I’m looking forward to seeing what the next step is in my quest to get rid of this last bit of dizziness that is lurking. The Effexor generic has worked wonders but I still have that heavy head feeling and can’t drive that much without feeling like I will pass out.

I hope whatever med he adds will be the magic one for me!!! I’m always so hopeful when I see him. He is literally slowly giving me my life back.

Wish me luck!!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might add to the fex? It seems Topamax is helping a lot here with the dizzies!!!

Thank you.

Since my “dizzies” were really rocking and not actual dizzies like you describe, I don’t know if that is a good reason for me to recommend topamax for your symptoms. Topamax did knock out my rocking, that is for sure.

Glad to hear you are slowing feeling better. ANY improvement at ANY rate is GREAT news. I’d be interested in hearing what options Dr. Fife gives you, as I don’t know what meds can go along with an SNRI like Effexor.

I had the heavy head feeling a lot before topamax and a lot for the first two months while I first taking topamax. It was a difficult drug to adjust to but now I am so much better. Heavy head- gone. Foggy head- gone. Problems with computers- never gone but still better than it has been for a long time.

Good luck,

Teri.

Thanks to both of you for responding. I didn’t read your responses till I got back. Dr Fife actually suggested topomax as the next step to add to the Effexor. I never even mentioned it to him. But first we are increasing the Effexor to 150mg to see if that improves anything. I need to give it a good 6-8 weeks first. If there is still some dizzy/rocking stuff than he will add the topomax. I’m glad he’s handling it this way because of course I’d love to manage this with just one medication if possible.

I have to say, I just love my doctor. He has so much confidence in getting me back to normal. He’s so personable and knowledgeable. He is literally saving my life.

Teri, I am so glad you are doing better. I hope you got everything straightened out at work. You sound like you work for a great company. I haven’t gone back to work yet. I really wish I could work from home. Maybe one day. Let me know how you are doing.

Take care!

Hi Mary,
So glad to hear you are doing well of Effexor. I see that Dr. Fife said “maybe topamax” later if higher of Effexor doesn’t do the trick. Guess what?? I have been waiting SO LONG ( maybe a year) to hear from Dr. Fife’s office, as they just got their new schedule for Dec. and are accepting new patients finally. They only have a few openings and because we have been waiting so long, his secretary called us and said we were IN. Appt is Dec. 17th in Phoenix. I am thrilled and excited. I loved reading your post about how much you like and respect him and how nice he is.
We will arrive in Mesa Dec. 1st and stay until April 1st. I think I need to have a Dr. during that time, in case things go awry for me while there. I have been thinking about Topamax myself, just because it doesn’t cause weight gain, like Nori and Paxil. Only problem is that I’m doing pretty well on those two ( plus Verapamil) and am afraid to mess with success . But, I have gained weight and I hate that ALOT.
Just wanted to share with you how happy I was to get my appt with Dr. Terry Fife. Can’t wait to meet him and discuss these issues with him. Good luck on your higher dose of Effexor, Mary. Sorry to hear you are not back to work as yet, and driving bothers you alot still. I have trouble driving, too, so I don’t for any long distance. Take care!!! xoxo Meredith

Good luck with the effexor Mary, Hope it is enough to kick your remaining symptons to the curb. My return to work is going ok. This week I am working 6 hours a day. I have some stange visual stuff going on. When I get off work it feel like I’ve been staring at the sun for six hours straight. Yesterday, I felt like I was losing my long distance vision. I was weird. Everything eventually got better but it took hours of being off the computer. I’ve been getting more freq headaches since returning. Going to bed with them and waking up with them. I spoke with my neuro ophlamalogist over the phone who said he thinks my eyes are just becomming overly fatigued. Dr’s are signing off on me being perm restricted to work no more than four hours a day. My boss seems to think my company will approve for me to go down to part time. We’ll see. I can’t really afford to work part time but better than not working.

Teri

— Begin quote from “Mavprincess”

Thanks to both of you for responding. I didn’t read your responses till I got back. Dr Fife actually suggested topomax as the next step to add to the Effexor. I never even mentioned it to him. But first we are increasing the Effexor to 150mg to see if that improves anything. I need to give it a good 6-8 weeks first. If there is still some dizzy/rocking stuff than he will add the topomax. I’m glad he’s handling it this way because of course I’d love to manage this with just one medication if possible.

I have to say, I just love my doctor. He has so much confidence in getting me back to normal. He’s so personable and knowledgeable. He is literally saving my life.

Teri, I am so glad you are doing better. I hope you got everything straightened out at work. You sound like you work for a great company. I haven’t gone back to work yet. I really wish I could work from home. Maybe one day. Let me know how you are doing.

Take care!

— End quote

Hi Mavprincess

Is Dr Fife your local GP or a neuro otologist? does he think that once under control you will be able to come off the meds?

Cheers
Rich

Well if you do end up trying the topamax, all I can say is that I love what it has done for me. I’d say it has given me approximately 90-95% symptom control with almost no important side effects so far (I’m on 100mg a day, split 50/50 morning and night). Yeah, I can’t drink alcohol and carbonated beverages all taste like crap. Outside of that things are great!

I know most people don’t get to 90-95% on topamax alone as it is not a magic pill. But it sure worked to eliminate the MddS-style rocking that plagued me. It has significantly reduced my light sensitivity as well. I still am careful with light and keep my computer monitors dimmer than I had them back before all this happened, but I live my life mostly the same as I did before. I’m only about 60 days into the topamax, so I can’t guarantee that everything will remain hunky-dory but I’ve been feeling this good for at least 40 days or so now, so I’m pretty darn hopeful. It seems to treat my exact symtoms very well–I know that it doesn’t always work out as well for others.

If you do end up trying it, be prepared that it has a large adjustment period where it makes you feel like crap. Going up 25mg in dosage makes me feel really dizzy and out of sorts for at least 5 days every time.

1 Like

— Begin quote from “spinning lady”

Hi Mary,
So glad to hear you are doing well of Effexor. I see that Dr. Fife said “maybe topamax” later if higher of Effexor doesn’t do the trick. Guess what?? I have been waiting SO LONG ( maybe a year) to hear from Dr. Fife’s office, as they just got their new schedule for Dec. and are accepting new patients finally. They only have a few openings and because we have been waiting so long, his secretary called us and said we were IN. Appt is Dec. 17th in Phoenix. I am thrilled and excited. I loved reading your post about how much you like and respect him and how nice he is.
We will arrive in Mesa Dec. 1st and stay until April 1st. I think I need to have a Dr. during that time, in case things go awry for me while there. I have been thinking about Topamax myself, just because it doesn’t cause weight gain, like Nori and Paxil. Only problem is that I’m doing pretty well on those two ( plus Verapamil) and am afraid to mess with success . But, I have gained weight and I hate that ALOT.
Just wanted to share with you how happy I was to get my appt with Dr. Terry Fife. Can’t wait to meet him and discuss these issues with him. Good luck on your higher dose of Effexor, Mary. Sorry to hear you are not back to work as yet, and driving bothers you alot still. I have trouble driving, too, so I don’t for any long distance. Take care!!! xoxo Meredith

— End quote

Meredith, so good to hear from you!!! :smiley: I was thinking about you last night. I am so happy you got an appointment with Fife. I have so much confidence in him. Definately talk to him about the weight gain. He always talks to me about side effects and gives me choices. He took me off one of my meds because I was gaining weight. That’s one of the reasons I love him so much is he looks at the whole picture not just the MAV. He knows I do not want to gain weight so we always talk about that. I have already put on a little weight since November when my MAV became a 24-7 thing and I had to stop working out which was horrifying because I’m a very active person. Ugh! This last appt, he told me I can start exercising again but only like stationary equipment. He promised that eventually, I can get back to my dancing, hiking and yoga. Yeah!!!

Anyway, you are in a tough situation as it would be hard to quit a med that’s working but I know how horrible it is to gain weight. :x Do you continue to gain weight? Maybe once you hit a plateau on your meds, it will stop and you will be able to lose it. Just a thought!!!

Xoxo Mary

Hi Mary,
Thanks for the advice. Wow, I, too, HATE gaining weight. I feel like a fat pig. I’m NOT a fat pig, but that’s the way I feel. I have gained from 125-130 to 140-145. That’s alot for me to gain. So, I was thinking IF I could stand to get on Topamax and if I could somehow tolerate the side effects of Topamax, then things would be great. I am the most med-sensitive person you can imagine, so what I hear about Topamax is frightening to me. There are other drugs that don’t cause weight gain, such as Celexa, Effexor and Wellbutrin, I think. So, you can see how anxious I am to talk with Dr. Fife. I was so happy to read that you have talked to him about weight gain and he is interested in helping with that. Dr. Hain didn’t seem to interested in weight gain being a major problem . When he put me on Nori he casually said, “oh, it will cause you to gain weight, but just watch your portions”. Hmmm.!! So, I hope Dr. Fife really cares about how important it is to me, to not be overweight. It is depressing, and of course, we don’t want to be depressed on top of everything else we deal with.
Let me know how you do on higher dose of Effexor, ok? Hope it goes well. Thinking of you and your little guy ( I forgot his name and I feel terrible about that) xoxo Meredith

Hi Mavprincess

Is Dr Fife your local GP or a neuro otologist? does he think that once under control you will be able to come off the meds?

Cheers
Rich

Hi Rich

Yes, he is a neuro otologist. As far as going off the meds, he says everyone is different. Some people go off and never have symptoms again and others go off and symptoms return. He does want to try to taper me off once I have it completely under control. But I know that he’ll be there for me no matter what. We will cross that bridge when it comes. But he has certainly seen many people return to normal after dropping the meds. All I can do is pray and hope for the best.