Menieres , MAV, hearing loss

Hello, I am new to board and have read a few posts regarding distinguishing Menieres from MAV. One factor that keeps repeating itself in a few posts is the “lack” of hearing loss with MAV. I met a few months back with a well respected neurotologist who advised me that MAV can cause permanent damage in inner ear as well as hearing loss. It is usually bilateral. Yes, uncommon , but does happen. Is there anyone on boards who has a definate MAV diagnoses with documented hearing loss?

My ears are messed up but unrelated to vestibular migraine. As a child, my ear drums ruptured several times as a child. No hearing loss but I had permanent damage to the ear canal.

Thanks for your reply.

Ive had hearing loss mostly in my right ear & both ears were quite sensitive when i first experienced symptoms. I could not listen to loud sounds for quite a long time.

I may have some minor hearing loss in one ear in the upper frequencies - was only measured after symptoms appeared, so can’t be sure the hearing loss was due to MAV or not. It’s nothing disturbing and I still enjoy stereo music and have no problem hearing people in loud places etc.

However, far more annoying is the tinnitus, which is so far permanent, persistent, sometimes pulsative and usually a highish pitched hiss that sounds like a cooking gas tap left on. I’ve become far less pre-occupied by it over time however and usually only annoying in the evenings or in very quiet environments.

I have not experienced any deterioration in my hearing though … although the tinnitus sometimes changes in character, I haven’t perceived any general increase in it since its initial sudden onset.

My neuro is pretty convinced of the MAV diagnosis and indeed since I’ve taken amitriptyline i’ve had no further significant attacks, so it seems to be responding very well to migraine prophilaxis.

Hi,

Were you diagnosed Menieres or MAV? Do you also get tinnitus. My tinnitus is constant in my one ear and occasional in other with extreme hyperacusis.
Thanks for your response.!

Turnitaround,

My bilateral hearing loss on testing also appears to be in the upper frequencies. Nothing major but does show on testing.
Have you had VEMP testing?

You description of tinnitus sounds identical to mine. I have Taken amitryptline in the past for neuropathy but not MAV. I am currently on neurontin soon to try a trial of Zonegran. Hopefully will keep me stable.
Thank you for response. Stay well.

Yes i have MAV & I had alog of tinnitus & hyperacusis when i first started experiencing symptoms. Nowadays my hearing is just lower and my right ear canal is more sensitive, im also more off balance and have more migraines on that side.

Rymangos your post implies your tinnitus went away after some time? Was it ever persistent, i.e. 24/7 for a period of time? If so how long did that take to disapate?

Yes it was persistent, It was quite a while ago so I might be off. But i’d say it went away after about 4 or so months of experiencing chronic symptoms.

4 months!. That’s excellent and must have been a huge relief. I’m 7 months in and counting … it’s improved only slightly but I’m better at dealing with it at least!

Haha, somewhat. To me ever since I started experiencing symptoms vertigo has been my main nemesis & that’s awesome! Hope you keep getting better.

Haha, yeah which is the greatest bad guy? My vertigo is largely under control now; the meds have been brilliant for that. I find that once you conquer one thing you tend to focus more on the remaining symptom(s) :slight_smile:

Oh lucky! What meds helped you? & thats true.

Amitriptyline, currently 20mg every evening. It also helps you sleep, and the extra sleep alone will work wonders on your brain health. Other than an initial dry mouth, now resolved, no adverse side effects at all for me.

Ohh ive been on amitriptyline. It didnt work for me.

Sorry for late response NYGAL, not had VEMP testing, was not proposed by either the ENT surgeon or the neuro-otologist I saw. MRI was reviewed by both and apparently normal …