A little snippet

I read the other day that those people who suffer from any form of migraine, ie headaches or VM/MAV, are 5 times more sensitive to medication!! That explains why tiny doses work for so many of us and why we should always start with the lowest dose and stop when we have reached the dose that works no matter how small and no matter what we have been told what to aim for because if we take too much for our super sensitive bodies we will do more harm than good. I think it was on one of Dr. Hain’s pages but I can’t remember exactly, I should have made a note of it, sorry.

4 Likes

Makes total sense to me!!

Me too. I take the minimum that makes it possible to live a ‘normal’ life again.

One thing to add. If your drug is a vestibular suppressant (and that includes Amitriptyline) you want to make sure you don’t take too much so as to give your brain a chance to compensate. The higher you go the harder it is for your brain to adjust.

2 Likes

You bet. You are correct. Is this it? On the fabulous and very informative website he maintains having stated by inference photophobia to be a sensory amplification, Dr Hain states, and I quote ‘other sensory amplifications which are common in persons with migraine include allodynia, sensitivity to weather changes, hyperacusis (sensitivity to loud noises), motion sensitivity, and medication sensitivity’. And don’t we all know it.

1 Like

Yes it is, and yes we do!

1 Like

And when it comes to meds (and supplements) it’s the GI sensitivity that gulls. So frustrating.

Not that it’s much help but according to Dr Teixido

” many chronic migraine sufferers have increased parasympathetic tone as a part of their migraine syndrome that leads to hypotension and orthostasis, as well as GI symptoms. Parasympathetic tone changes also cause tearing, nasal congestion and rhinorrhea.”