Actual Rocking?

Hi,
I know that a rocking sensation is part of MAV. I am wondering is anyone notices that they actually do rock? I notice when I am standing at the kitchen sink, I am actually rockingā€¦it feels like I do it to help keep my balance. Please tell me that someone else does this too.
Thanks!

Kat

Hi Kat - This is exactly what I do! In fact, I feel pretty good while I am working at my desk bc I constantly swivel my chair. I feel much better if I am in motion. It sooo exhausting, isnā€™t it??
Alli

Allie,
It is exhausting. Usually I can not tell if it is really me moving or something around me. Today I kept noticing that it was me! I do feel better in a swivel chair or a car. Sorry you are having to go through this but Iā€™d be lying if I didnā€™t say I am glad I am not the only one swaying.

Kat

If Iā€™m standing still I can sway a little and if walking Iā€™ll often list to the left and stumble/lurch a bit and generally be a bit unco.

Vic

I rock out too!! :smiley:

In the beginning it was very bad - it was like the internal motion was physically pushing me back and forth.

Now I think I only do it a little bit and I only notice it when Iā€™m really still like at bedtime.

Who does actually rock I am wondering.

When my MAV first went chronic I felt dizzy - as if I was rotating to the right 24/7. Internal/subjective vertigo ā€˜(false sense of motion) I assumed. However as far as Iā€™m aware I was not actually physically rotating. It was all on the inside. Therefore I was more than surprised to be told by a doctor at my local surgery who I saw face-to-face two weeks back that, on that day during his examination, I was actually rocking something of which I was totally unaware. When I saw him I was still very much under the influence of the vestibular attack which had followed my second Covid jab. When I questioned my husband he told me I often rock. Itā€™s easily visible and so frequent that he assumed it had now become a habit. Another surprise. We had previously discussed the fact that I do rock, more of a backwards/forwards sway I think, when recovering from an attack but as far as I was aware that eventually settles down.

All this just got me thinking. If it is actually physical it canā€™t be described as ā€˜vertigoā€™ because itā€™s not a false sense of motion. Itā€™s actual. So just wondering all the rockers I know on here. @dizzy3, @lucylabrador, @ander454 etc, is/was your rocking actual? In other words are you actually moving or do you just think you are?

I think technically this is called ā€˜swayā€™ not ā€˜rockā€™? The rocking sensation is definitely different, and even then thereā€™s a distinction between visual swinging or simply an internal feeling of rocking that is not a visual sensation.

1 Like

The motion of which I am aware occurs when recovering from an acute episode and similarly to @kat above I always assume itā€™s the bodyā€™s way of keeping me upright. Iā€™d call it swaying and guess it helps the body balance. The doctor definitely referred to what he could discern, and I couldnā€™t well not until he insisted I closed my eyes and ā€˜lookedā€™ for it, was a rocking. With my eyes closed I could actually feel my weight rocking backwards and forwards through my feet from toe-to-heel and back rather as it does when you intentionally rock from top toe to heel as part of a VRT balance exercise.

Seems strange to me that Iā€™ve changed from thinking Iā€™m rotating when Iā€™m not to rocking/swaying obviously and not regularly being aware of it.

For meā€¦I have become more of a intentional ā€œfidgetierā€.
I keep my body in constant motion in an effort to distract my brain form the ā€œswayā€ I feel if I am sitting, standing, lying still.

Ah you feel it so it is actual, yes/no?

Agreed. I think you are right. I think it helps the brain manage the balance somehow. Much as walking is always easier than standing perfectly still.

1 Like

Is it real or is it my body simply reacting to the ā€œfalse senseā€ of motion, which makes the reaction realā€¦ canā€™t say.
There is definitely something to it though!

I had my sway tested when I was very sick, and according to the results mine was insignificant.

Hereā€™s a link to the description of Postural Sway:

https://www.alleydog.com/glossary/definition.php?term=Postural+Sway

ā€œPostural sway, in terms of human sense of balance, refers to horizontal movement around the center of gravity. This sway is essential due to the many large and small changes in the center of gravity due to functions such as walking and breathing. For a person to maintain balance requires coordination of input from multiple sensory systems including the vestibular, somatosensory, and visual systems. The vestibular sense controls equilibrium and directional information as it relates to head position and is related to middle ear. The somatosensory system senses information from skin and joints (pressure and vibratory senses) along with spatial position, movement relative to the support surface, and movement/position of different body parts relative to each other. The visual system works by reference to the verticality of body and head motion and spatial location relative to objects. These systems together coordinate to allow us to maintain balance: the more balanced the less postural sway.ā€

Any compromised control system will decrease effectiveness and lead to instability

In systems engineering itā€™s known as a: Marginally/ Critically stable system : A marginally stable system is the one that generates a signal which is oscillating with constant frequency: What is Stability of Control System? Types of Stable Systems - Electronics Coach

In other words, you donā€™t fall over (it doesnā€™t get worse) but you sway a small amount.

Presumably the healthier and fitter you are, the smaller the sway but there will always be a minute amount of (undetectable) sway no matter how Superhuman you are ā€¦ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ask your Him Indoors if he can see it maybe?

1 Like

Oh I appreciate none of us is totally still. I guess itā€™s normal to be unaware of it but not normal for others to be able to actually see it.

Thatā€™s me. It varies depending. The day of the consultation I was still very much still coming out of the last prolonged attack.

2 Likes

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5638651/

1 Like

Iā€™ve not noticed the rocking except one place. When Iā€™m sitting in my pickup at a light, Iā€™ve noticed a rocking sensation. All this time I thought it was my pickup.

Now I know itā€™s really me and not my truck!

1 Like