Acupuncture

What is the recent take on Acupuncture for VM ? All the post about it I found are quite old

While it is definitely not a cure, it can be useful for reducing stress and anxiety, two things that heavily contribute to MAV. For me at least I find I feel a little better after an acupuncture session. At least Iā€™m more relaxed which counts for something

1 Like

Hello
I had many sessions of acupuncture via the NHS and sadly they couldnt help me with my VM symptomsā€¦mind you i had severe symptoms at the time
Jo

5 posts were split to a new topic: So we have to live with vm forever?. Not relevant to acupuncture. Stay on topic please.

i dont think it helps the vestibular issues, it helps with other: neck pain, insomnia, head pain, anxiety. I did it for a year and loved it.

Did you try the acupuncture ? How did you get on with it? Iā€™m thinking of giving it a go

Have you searched it on here? There are lots of references and @Acuamy seemed to experience success with headaches with it in 2017. Years back my brother was completely and quite rapidly cured of totally debilitating constant vertigo, work related brought on extremely heavy lifting, by acupuncture. He is not a migraineur and has never had MAV. Helen

I had a search but didnā€™t see much apart from skepticism :sweat_smile:
Interesting your brother was helped by acupuncture. How does he know for sure it wasnā€™t migraine; if you have it he could have it too? Given MAV can come without headaches?
The reason Iā€™m looking into acupuncture is that one of my close family members had dizziness for two years and eventually went for a Chinese ā€œmoxibustionā€ treatment and finally got rid of itā€¦ and now my whole family is badgering me to go :crazy_face:

Guess ā€˜knowā€™ by timing maybe. It came on immediately after some extreme lifting of weight at work. He would have been very fit active 20 year old maybe at the time. He had no other symptoms apart from severe spinning vertigo and accompanying nausea, spent most of his time in bed lying flat which lasted on/off 18 months, lost his job etc, etc. I think he damaged his neck/spine. Years later he was found to have spinal damage he definitely wasnā€™t born with. Guess that was linked. Helen

At a recent consultation my SO asked the neurologist about acupuncture. Iā€™ve a feeling deep down psychologically he relishes the idea of me being stuck full of needles after all the years he has had to suffer life restrictions due to my having MAV but Iā€™m sure heā€™d deny it if challenged. I was rather surprised when the neurologist didnā€™t rule it out. In fact she actually included it as a suggestion in her report. Helen

I had six sessions. The people doing them were lovely but I didnā€™t feel any different after them so I stopped due to cost.

1 Like

Hi Lucy
I had 12 sessions on the NHSā€¦never helped one bit for me neither. She was at a loss and just discharged me as a hopeless case.
Jo x

1 Like

I tried accupuncture and I didnā€™t benefit at all I actually had to be picked up from my appointment as it made me way dizzier!! :roll_eyes:

Iā€™d say worth a shot though as weā€™re all different :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Well, certainly doesnā€™t sound promising. Bit like grabbing at straws. Wonder if grabbing at straws might work well, eh. I seem to have tried most other Alternative Therapies so why not.

Iā€™ve been discharged likewise by three, or was it four, physios that I remember so far but never by an acupuncturist but guess thereā€™s a first time for everything. After all not everybody can claim to have had an adverse reaction to Vitamin B2. Though acupuncture does look a bit of a long shot. Helen

I am booked in for 6 or so sessions of acupuncture, so I will let you all know if it has any effect.

I am very sceptical, but will give anything a go :):grin:

3 Likes

Still worth a shot though Helen. Lets face it you have nothing to lose.
Jo

1 Like

Except your balance if youā€™re anything like me after it! :see_no_evil: you got to laugh!!

3 Likes

Bound to be a bit weighted in favour, after all howā€™s about the ā€˜reaching the end of the line with conventional treatmentsā€™ after one unsuccessful attempt at a beta blocker but quite interesting all the same. Does seem to contradict what the physio who offered it to me said about the need to keep it up at least weekly to maintain success but then I suspect the regular chiropractor visits to get the neck ā€˜crackedā€™ and relieve the tension might have some involvement though I cannot imagine many MAVers would want to risk that one as a follow on. Trouble for many might also be lack of funds. Ten sessions are the recommended NHS guidelines however Many NHS doctors have no acupuncture facility to offer and private sessions seem to be currently costing Ā£80.00 a time. Still for what itā€™s worth it does seem to have helped Samantha.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7883753/Woman-tells-beat-migraines-acupuncture-years-pills-restrictive-diets.html

So after five sessions, I thought Iā€™d give an updateā€¦

Iā€™ve not had a headache since treatment started, but I only ever had two headaches a year, so I cannot say whether or not acupuncture helps for this symptom.

Dizziness has gotten worse, but I cannot correlate this with any of my acupuncture sessions. Increased dizziness and vertigo coincided with the arrival of the storms in the UK three or four weeks ago.

Tinnitus improved, but again, I donā€™t think this is due to acupuncture. Since coming off amitriptyline, tinnitus worsened, so I think the medication helped tinnitus.

Other symptoms, such as oscillopsia, fatigue, brain fog and anxiety have all stayed the same.

I was sceptical about acupuncture before starting treatment, so itā€™s no surprise that it hasnā€™t worked on me. Perhaps if one enters with an open mind, the placebo effect might provide symptom relief.

The acupuncturist is also treating me for ulcerative colitis. Not sure how sticking pins into my knees helps my colon, but I need all the help I can get :slight_smile:

Thx for the update. It is always good to have on record individualā€™s personal experience. My brother had great success with acupuncture for vertigo years back but he is not a MAVer, his came about as a result of an injury to his spine through his back or neck or both. Iā€™m sure the acupuncturist could explain the connection between your colon and knees. Itā€™s all something to do with acupoints. Was reading about it a few days back. From our Western eyes the places the needles go in donā€™t bear any relation to the location of the problem.

I notice you first registered with this form in 2013 so must have a long history of MAV. Iā€™m sure other members would be interested to know more of your MAV journey if you were ever to feel like writing up an account as a Personal Diary. I know I would. Helen