Advice on getting off of caffeine?

Caffeine is the last of the “Big C’s” that I’m on, but I just can’t seem to let it go. I know the vasoconstrictive properties are TERRIBLE for migraine and VM, but I am hopelessly addicted to at least half a cup of coffee in the morning.

I’m pretty sure caffeine might be a huge trigger of mine (my VM started after drinking a cup of coffee in the Fall of 2021) so I’m trying to completely get off of it.

Any habitual coffee/tea drinkers go cold turkey and was it worth it?

I titrated off just like I would with a drug – slightly less every few days over a period of a couple of weeks. I treated myself to a quality decaf coffee and slowly changed the ratio of caffeinated to decaf. In the end I had a headache for a day or two but nothing I couldn’t handle. I know there’s a trace of caffeine in decaf coffee but it doesn’t bother me.

Is it worth it? Anything is better than the world suddenly spinning out of control, collapsing on the ground in public spaces and giving up any kind of normal life. So yes, giving up caffeine (and alcohol) are small sacrifices I’m willing to make. Not a cure, not even close, but it’s one of the few things something I have control over with this horrible condition. Give it a try, sheepdog_lord. It might not make any difference at all for you but you won’t know until you give it a good test. Good luck!

2 Likes

Pretty straightforward:

• for tea just switch to Rooibos. It’s extremely good.
  • immediately switch to decaf coffee: a good barista delivered decaf americano is still very satisfying and you might not even notice a decaf latte is different if done right.

The other plus side is sleep quality will almost certainly improve.

I think you have to do what’s best for you. I’m a tea addict - though truly, one glass a day and I’m happy. I love green tea. I did a cold turkey - hd a few headaches and stayed caffeine-free for two months. My VMs and dizzy didn’t change. Back to my one glass a day or cup in the morning. Sometimes decaf but just not noticeable enough for me to quit. Best to you. I believe a lot of managing all of these issues is about trial and error for each individual. I am willing to try anything.

Stop thinking about it, just do it! It’s not hard, really :wink:

1 Like

I was 2 weeks in the worst VM ever - lasted months and months. So bad I couldn’t walk straight, couldn’t move my head, and vomited every morning for over 4 weeks. Like - really bad. I’m sure you can relate.

It was then I simply stopped all together. I was a total addict too. I couldn’t possibly feel any worse than I did at that point, so added in caffeine withdrawal. Had nasty migraines nearly every day for over a week, then they settled. Have never gone back. It’s 3 years in October.

today is my first day! thanks everyone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good luck mate, hope it makes a positive difference for you :+1:

1 Like

Red rooibus tea or teeccino herbal teas and herbal “coffees” are very rich and flavorful. You can get them at Amazon or Teecino’s website.

2 Likes

How’s the weaning going @sheepdog_lord ?

I went off of it cold-turkey. First couple of days were hard with the headaches, but I think worth it in that my attacks have settled down a little bit

1 Like

Get some nice rooibos and you will never miss “normal” tea! The great part is you can drink it later in evening without worrying about sleep.

1 Like