Advice please

Hi All,
I hope you are doing well. I just have a few random questions that I could really use some help with. I am on my third “eipisode” of this dizziness stuff and my anxiety is so high. I think about it ALL DAY LONG. I am 22 and am a student teacher and usually take a nap when I get home because I am so exhausted from feeling like this all day. When I wake up I am so jittery and nervous I feel like I am going insane. I am perscribed valium but do not take it regularly because I don’t want to depend on it. My symptoms the last few days have been a bit more intense than they have been lately. I had about two really good weeks and now I have had about a week of bad days in a row. I do not understand this and could really use some coping mechanisms.

How can I help myself from feeling so incredibly nervous when I wake up?
How can I not let my mind focus on this all day? (Friends and family say to try not to think about it, but that is nearly impossible when it is a constant battle everyday)
Does anyone else find that these situations disrupt their days?
Also, I have been on 240 mgs of Verapamil for about 20 days now and as I said I had about a good two week period and now Im in a slump. I have an appt with my nuero-oto next week. Should I keep on the med or ask for a new trial of something else.

I hope you are all doing well and that this will one day stop for every single one of us,
Kaylie

Hi Kaylie,

I know that feeling you’re describing too well. I used to hate when I’d wake from sleep and feel freaky and weird the moment I opened my eyes … sometimes I’d get this horrible sinking feeling in my gut and feel really black. I still get it occasionally if I have too many triggers happening but ignore it when it happens - that’s the key to not upsetting yourself. Do you think there was a trigger that set you off after having the two good weeks? Sometimes this thing just has a life all on its own. I use valium like you do to get through the rough patches. An antidepressant of some sort would probably help you to not feel so anxious and possibly treat the condition (worked for me). Not becoming anxious with this thing takes a lot of work. It took me years to switch off that reaction mechanism but it can be done. It really made me a nervous wreck years back. The thing to know is that migraine cycles. It flares up and drops off again. It’s the nature of the beast.

Good luck with the doc … Scott 8)

— Begin quote from “scott”

Hi Kaylie,

I know that feeling you’re describing too well. I used to hate when I’d wake from sleep and feel freaky and weird the moment I opened my eyes … sometimes I’d get this horrible sinking feeling in my gut and feel really black. I still get it occasionally if I have too many triggers happening but ignore it when it happens - that’s the key to not upsetting yourself. Do you think there was a trigger that set you off after having the two good weeks? Sometimes this thing just has a life all on its own. I use valium like you do to get through the rough patches. An antidepressant of some sort would probably help you to not feel so anxious and possibly treat the condition (worked for me). Not becoming anxious with this thing takes a lot of work. It took me years to switch off that reaction mechanism but it can be done. It really made me a nervous wreck years back. The thing to know is that migraine cycles. It flares up and drops off again. It’s the nature of the beast.

Good luck with the doc … Scott 8)

— End quote

Scott,

How often do you take the valium, and which antidepressant worked for you? Are you still on the antidepressant or not?

Do you find that you have more good days than bad or do the cycles even everything out ?

In my humble opinion, it sounds like you need to go ahead & take the Valium until you get this anxiety under control. There are people who say taking valium is absolutely bad but others who take it without any problems at all. I took it for about 6-7 months last year. It was a very low dose but I never felt addicted & didn’t suffer any ill effects when I stopped it. At this point I take prozac occasionally when I’m having a rough time & it helps tremendously. From what I’ve learned many of the other antidepressants need to be taken for a while to build up in your system & then need ‘weaning’ off time (which I never liked). The anti-anxiety aspect of prozac worked right away so it really helped me. I read that it can cause headaches, but I personally never had trouble with it. Xanax is pretty popular, too. Not sure how it differs from Valium.

RE coping mechanisms: What really gets me through this are the two P’s: Prozac & Prayer :mrgreen: In my mind God has chosen to allow me to have this. He must have some reason. It’s not contagious; it’s not fatal; it IS horrible but, hey, sometimes “doo-doo” happens. What we do with it & how we ‘use’ it is up to us. “Doo-doo” can be pretty yucky when it’s stuck to the bottom of our shoe, but applied to a garden it helps create some pretty terrific & beautiful things. (Thankfully I’m in one of those ‘glass is half FULL’ moods today.)

RE the verapamil: The best thing to do is talk to your doctor about whether to stop it or try something else. Our experiences (on the forum) are so varied. I couldn’t take Verapamil because it caused me to have headaches.

Kaylie -

I know exactly what you are describing. For most of my summer, I would wake up feeling nervous, anxious, jittery, my heart was beating rapidly like it was going out of my chest. I thought I was losing my mind, honestly. That feeling has pretty much left me. I only get it once in awhile. I think it is the anxiety of thinking that when you wake up it will be another day of MAV. This whole MAV thing consumed my every thought for a long time. Just recently have I been able to somewhat put it out of my mind. I try to keep busy around the house. At least you work, that is a good thing. That probably keeps your mind off of it for awhile. My friends and family told me to just stop dwelling on it too. It is hard. I guess the better I started feeling, the less it disrupted my day. The more positive my thoughts are, the better I feel. As for the Verapamil, my doctor said to give it at least two months. I would give it at least that long before you give up on it. I started feeling better around the 1 1/2 month mark. I still have flareups, but not as bad as before. The symptoms are less intense but I still get annoyed with the whole thing. I have valium (2mg) tablets. I couldn’t take Xanax but valium seemed okay. It does help. I never had a hard time stopping it. I haven’t taken it lately, but I did in the summer and fall. You will be okay. These anxious feelings will go away. Did you ever try a Vitamin B complex supplement? I take one. It is supposed to help with anxiety and energy levels. I also started taking fish oil. It is supposed to boost your mood and has other benefits as well. I also take Vit.D, it helps with mood also. Most importantly, make sure you are getting enough sleep and on a steady sleep schedule. You will get through this, you are young and this is only going to make you stronger. This is going to pass. I met a girl at my hair salon who is your age and has this. She started with symptoms at 18. She is totally fine now. She takes Topamax. She said she goes out with friends, goes to parties, works, etc. It sounds like her symptoms were pretty intense at one time. Her doctor said she could ween off the Topamax now. How long have you had MAV?

Nance