Amitriptyline: did it help you with photophobia/light sensitivity ?

Thought of you today as my husband opened the bedroom curtains and told me we’d had two inches snow overnight. Now all the reflected light that comes back off of snow, that really can cause light sensitivity to susceptible folk.

1 Like

We had snow last week in France. Now I can add it to my list of triggers! So white so powerful my eyes can’t keep up :joy: and it’s everywhere

2 Likes

Try to open curtains and shutters and turn off artificial light?

I’ve always found it’s the conflict in type of light that can aggravate symptoms. Mixed lighting of various artificial sources and natural light can be very uncomfortable.

1 Like

Depends on whether you suffer Contrast or Glare sensitivity. Best advice I had was to always be in consistent light. Came from an audiologist. Totally impracticable but good advice. Oh how I hate those dark ceilings with all those little spotlights.

In practice anything is worth a try. It doesn’t take long to find out if it works for you.

2 Likes

The worst environment for me when at my worst was a trendy cafe with those vintage style bulbs in artistic lamps, spots in the ceiling, strip lights for the cooks and large windows letting natural light through.

A total cacophony of light.

btw LED bulbs flash light crazy.

Are you thinking of these kind of light bulbs ? 61Q5EjLPOML.AC_SX466

I haven’t seen them in a long while but at the beginning of my symptoms they were definitely a trigger. Feels like they were frying my brain if that makes sense

1 Like

Those aren’t LED bulbs but the vintage ones? But yeah in any case. Exactly that type. I would find them very irritating. For me it was like a brain ‘rumble’ or grumble.

I could feel my brain hurting. It’s not like a migraine, it’s a short lasting discomfort and as soon as you look away it’s gone.

(No need to use “blockquote” btw :). )

1 Like

LED bulbs flash light crazy.
@turnitaround

Hi, I now have identified which led bulb they are: the white led bulbs right?

When you say “flash light” do you mean they flicker or just display more light ? I find they are horrible but cannot quite pinpoint why. Wonder if it’s because their light is whiter.

Flicker. Very fast. There’s no persistence with LED lights unlike normal bulbs.

1 Like

It’s a fierce unnatural (blue-ish to my eyes) kind of light. I think our brains are more accustomed to a yellowish tinge which mimics the sun? The car head lights that are blue can get me.

1 Like

So interesting. I had no idea.
Can I ask a “personal” question: Did you find these specific types of LED bulbs to be a trigger when you were symptomatic, were they the worse type of light in your opinion?

Agreed. Kind of like the light emanating from snow.

1 Like

Hi!

I think I found out why I am so light sensitive outdoors: outside my vision vibrates more and I see floaters. Similar to visual snow. This might be why Amitryptiline is helping with artificial light but not with the outside light.

As usual, I’ll keep everyone posted as the symptoms evolve. My Neuro wants me to consider adding topiramate in the future.

:two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

Question is why does that happen more outside. Answer I’d say is the light is always so much stronger outside than indoors even on the dullest winter day. Cannot quote exact figures as it is some time ago I was actively studying it but the difference in lux (unit of light measurement) is enormous. Amitriptyline is the firstline drug of choice for Photophobia. Research papers on the internet by Kathleen Digre.

1 Like

Yes I remember you mentioned her in this thread, and I have been reading on her publications since ! :+1::heart:

1 Like

floaters are just something that increasingly appear with age as the gel in your eye breaks up, causing visual artifacts - nothing to worry about and probably nothing to do with the condition (it’s just age).

They appear outside because of the huge light ‘wash’ of the sky colour.

Similar issue happens when you swim in swimming pools - you see your ‘floaters’ more easily.

All that said, when you are in certain neurological states, perhaps it is more difficult to learn to ignore the persistent ones?

As far as general photophobia outside - is it possible you are simply staying in too much because of dizziness and decompensating from abundant natural light?

Hi ! :slight_smile:

I don’t believe I am de compensating as I really try to go out everyday. The best way to describe it is that My vision vibrates a lot outside, I see visual snow (no better way to describe it), and at some point I am left in a stupor state. (The freezing spells I described in the other post). At this point I’m not experiencing dizziness but visual snow + vibrating vision.

Sunglasses help though.

I’m really writing all this so that when I get better people that go through the same can see what worked for me in the end. I’m sure I’ll get there !

:crossed_fingers:
Marianne

1 Like

Very good @Maina very good :+1:

2 Likes

By ‘vibrates’, do you mean ‘shimmers’?? Bit like heat coming off a parked car on a hot summers day? There are threads relating if so.

Not wishing you be pedantic but I think Visual Snow is classed as permanent migraine aura rather than photophobia and Peter Goadsby is the name to look at for.